Joker the Immortal (3e OOC)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
XeroKhan
Luminary
Luminary

Joker the Immortal (3e OOC)

Postby XeroKhan » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:31 pm

This idea popped into my head and when I began building it, I knew I had to make this a game, without a doubt.

It began when the Joker stumbled upon a Lazarus Pit. We do not know how, or why, just that it began there. The Joker, who had become immortal, began a crusade with his goons all over Gotham City. When Batman tried to stop the Joker, it resulted in the death of Batman. When Joker created his own fiefdom within Gotham, Joker eliminated the other superheroes that resided in Gotham, making it the capital of Joker's Reign of Terror. That day has been called "The Death of the Bat."

This did not calm the Joker's thirst for power, for Joker created an army of goons to storm their way to Washington D.C. The Justice League tried to stop Joker, but the combined forces of the Joker and many other villains were too much for the Justice League. Hal Jordan and the other Green Lanterns of Earth tried to convince their council to stop this madman, but the council seemed to refuse for some reason and denied Earth's Green Lanterns to return to their homes for now. Soon, only a few Justice League members lived and went into hiding. The Joker had triumphed and became the ruler of the United States of Joker. Thus, this day became known as "The Fall of the League."

That all happened over 15 years ago. You are the last of the heroes that can stop Joker's mad plan for world domination. You have been called by one of the last heroes to stop the Joker. Will this madman get control over the entire world?

As such, this game's tone will depend on how the character's are customized. I plan on this being a PL 10 game with established DC heroes/heroines. I will create a list of what heroes are still alive since the Fall of the Justice League if there is enough interest. Any interests?
Last edited by XeroKhan on Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Common Terms I will use:
>D#: Failure by (1-4) Degree
>EFN (Epic Fail Number): A Natural 1
>Nat 10: Taking a Natural 10 on a specific Skill

Teafo
Hireling
Hireling

Re: Joker the Immortal (Interest)

Postby Teafo » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:34 pm

I am interested, however the rule of using only previously established characters has me a little worried. I suppose I would need to see more of the list of who is still alive to truly know, or if you would be willing to open to custom builds.

dreamking89
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby dreamking89 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:34 am

I am totally down for this. I'd also like to know who is among the dead, especially in the Bat-Family.
It has always been the prerogative of children and half-wits to point out that the emperor has no clothes. But the half-wit remains a half-wit and the emperor remains an emperor.

Aerlwyn
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Aerlwyn » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:19 am

Have an idea for a character villian turned hero kind of idea, got a costume look and over all character for pl 10 i think will need to check again. Yes she is pl 10 160 pp.

XeroKhan
Luminary
Luminary

Postby XeroKhan » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:26 am

I will also accept original characters. Either/Or does not matter to me.

As for the list of living heroes, here it is:

>Ambush Bug (Somehow, Joker never found this annoying bug.)
>Batgirl [Cassandra Caine] (Her training and her being in Hong Kong allowed her to live)
>Black Canary [Dinah Laurel Queen] (She escaped Joker thanks to Green Arrow's sacrifice)
>Captain Marvel (The only one in the Marvel Family that is alive)
>The Flash [Barry Allen] (He escaped on the Day the Justice League was destroyed)
>Green Lanterns (They are not allowed to return to Earth by the Oa Council)
>Madame Xanadu (With her assistant's help and her powers, the Madame escaped)
>Nightwing (The only other one of the Bat Family to escape)
>Oracle (She escaped due to Madame Xanadu's prediction)
>Ravager (She was on the other side of the world when Joker took control)
>Raven (Although Joker has her, she keeps in contact with Oracle somehow)
>Superman (He escaped with The Flash. He also gathers you together)
>Zatanna (She escaped with the help of Captain Marvel)

Also, a lot of the space based superheroes are still alive, but cannot return to Earth by the decree of the Green Lantern Council of Oa. Also, the Green Lanterns have also barricaded Earth to not only keep Joker on the planet, but to keep any villainous extraterrestrials from joining Joker in galactic conquest.

Common Terms I will use:

Teafo
Hireling
Hireling

Postby Teafo » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:11 pm

hmm that will definitely make for an interesting cast. I will give you that. Off the bat I would be more interested in playing as black canary or as a custom character. I just may mix the two and either build my own version of Dinah, or (if allowed) make a character connected to her - possibly a daughter that takes over the job kinda thing. If that doesn't work, I won't mind, I can just build her and go with it that way. Should be able to get something together by tomorrow.

dreamking89
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby dreamking89 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:47 pm

What's keeping Superman from stopping the Joker himself?

I was interested in playing a custom build of Jason Todd or Damien Wayne. Are they confirmed dead?

EDIT: Ah, Batgirl, Nightwing and Oracle are the only ones. Too bad.
It has always been the prerogative of children and half-wits to point out that the emperor has no clothes. But the half-wit remains a half-wit and the emperor remains an emperor.

Moira
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Moira » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:42 pm

What about living villains? I'm sure some of the more noble types want to do more than watch the world burn ;)
RIP Angel 1989-2011

Mr.United
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Mr.United » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:37 pm

I have built a character that I wish to use. I would have to tweak his story a bit, but other than that, should work.

Bat-Boy

Joshua Burke-Wayne

Gotham City had suffered the results of a magnitude 7.6 earthquake. In response, the U.S government declared Gotham a "no man's land," destroyed all bridges leading to Gotham and forbade people from entering or exiting. Ivy demonstrates positive, even maternal traits. When Gotham City had its devastating earthquake, rather than fight over territory like most of Batman's enemies, she holds dominion over Robinson Park and turns it into a tropical paradise. Sixteen children who are orphaned during the quake come to live with her. One of those children is a Joshua Burke. Josh was the oldest of the orphans at 12 and promised that he would protect the other children. He is the only one to walk up to Ivy and ask for help. Ivy sympathizes with him having suffered a traumatic childhood herself. She cares for all of them despite her usual misanthropy. She especially took notice of Joshua. His leadership and bravery despite the terrible times, made her connect with him more than the other children.

A few weeks later, Gotham is still in ruins. Clayface (Basil Karlo) pays Ivy a visit, hoping to form a bargain with her. This would entail her growing fruits and vegetables, having the orphans harvest them, and him selling the produce to the highest bidder. She wants nothing to do with the plan, and she attempts to kill him with a kiss. Clayface overpowers her, however, and imprisons Ivy and the orphans for six months in a chamber under the park's lake. He feeds her salt and keeps her from the sun to weaken her. Josh however, snuck in food and chemicals needed to keep Ivy strong, while at the same time defending the children from Clayface. Eventually, Batman comes and discovers the imprisoned orphans and Ivy. The two agree to work together to take Clayface down.

Batman is able to release Josh before Clayface discovers their plan and attacks. Batman battles Clayface and instructs Josh to go release Ivy, knowing that she would aid him in this battle. Josh opens the chamber, freeing both Ivy and the children. With Josh’s help in sneaking in food and chemicals to help Ivy, she joins the fight, ensnaring Clayface in the branches of a tree. She goes to fatally kiss him but Clayface frees himself and puts Josh between them, effectively poisoning Josh with her fatal kiss. Stunned at what she has done, Ivy goes to cure Josh only to be thrown back into battle with Clayface. Batman at this time is knocked out from a powerful hit from Clayface.

As Ivy and Clayface battle, Josh crawls to a emergency fire hose and turns it on. The spray of water weakens Clayface, giving the edge to Ivy where she then proceeds ensnare him again to sink him down into the ground, where he becomes fertilizer for Ivy's plants. By this time, Josh is on the verge of death. With no time for the cure, Ivy simple gives Josh the antibodies needed to fight off the poison, making Josh immune to Ivy’s kiss.
Batman, originally intending to take the orphans away from Ivy, recognizes that staying with her is what is best for them, and they remain in her care until the city is restored. Also, as part of a bargain to keep her freedom, Batman arranges it so that Ivy provides fresh produce to the starving hordes of earthquake survivors. Batman also eyes Josh, noting his determination to keep fighting.

After the battle with Clayface, Ivy sees how determined Josh is and begins training him in both chemicals and seduction. Ivy even asks if Josh wishes to become like her. He politely refuses, and tells her that he will find another way to save mother nature.

Soon after, Ivy finds Harley Quinn, who had almost been murdered by the Joker, among the debris of the earthquake. Josh is asked by Ivy to help her and with his help, nurses her back to health. Harley is thankful of Ivy whom mentions Josh as a helper. Harley then learns that Ivy is training him and offers to aid her in Josh’s fighting abilities. With Ivy and Harley teaching Josh, the two become and have been best friends and partners-in-crime ever since. With the help of Harley, (whom Josh finds attractive) Josh himself becomes a lethal fighting machine. Unfortunately, Harley’s ways of battle involved killing the target, which puts Josh on edge. Josh never felt comfortable with killing, but never says anything to Harley or Ivy.

After Gotham City is reopened to the public, the city council wants to evict her from the park and send her back to Arkham Asylum, as they are uncomfortable with the thought of a "psychotic eco-terrorist controlling the equivalent of 30-odd square blocks." They also mistakenly believe that the orphans in Ivy's care are hostages. The Gotham City Police Department threaten to spray the park with R.C. Sixty, a powerful herbicide that most certainly would have killed every living plant in the park, including Ivy, and more than likely do harm to the children. Ivy refuses to leave the park to the city and let them destroy the paradise she had created, so she chooses martyrdom. It is only after Josh reminds her of being accidentally poisoned by Ivy that the hardened eco-terrorist surrenders herself to the authorities in order to save children’s’ life. Batman says that, as much as she would hate to admit it, Ivy is still more human than plant.

After turning herself in due to Josh’s convincing, Batman turns his attention to Josh seeing his good nature and sense of bravery. It wasn’t long before either the orphans were adopted or returned to their parents they lost. It turned out that Josh didn’t have any parents. Josh has been alone since he can remember and that the streets were his home. With him being immortalized in the papers as holding Ivy’s hand as she surrenders, no parent wanted anything to do with a boy whom is known as the Ally of the Eco-Terrorist. Bruce Wayne however, takes Josh in as his legal ward.

Though Bruce Wayne was his legal ward, Josh hardly ever saw him. Josh then confined in Alfred about his abilities that was taught to him by both Ivy and Harley. With this information, Alfred tells Bruce whom dismisses it. It wasn’t until news that the Joker and Harley Quinn were back together that Josh snuck out with the intent to convince Harley to leave the Joker. The Joker didn’t find this funny and beat Josh to an inch of his life. The Joker would have finished the job if not for Batman coming in. Harley merely stood and watched as the Joker beat Josh near death.

After waking up in the Batcave, he is shocked to learn that Bruce is really the Batman. Seeing a reflection of himself in Josh; that he could temper compassion with a thirst for justice, Batman made the young orphan the offer of a lifetime; the chance to become his first crime-fighting partner. Josh chose the name Bat-boy but is also called Boy Wonder by many.

Josh possesses the peak athletic strength and endurance for a kid in his late teens, who regularly engages in intensive physical exercise. His detective and martial arts skills are yet mastered, but he is a student of half dozen martial arts disciplines and is rigorously being trained by Batman in everything from escapology to criminology, fencing, stealth, disguise, and numerous other combat/non-combat disciplines. Josh’s science abilities seem to be one of his strongest due to Ivy’s tutelage. Josh goes to many times to continue his study, hoping to use her work to move Wayne Tech to be more Eco friendly. Josh is also a prodigious natural athlete, possessing a peak human level of agility/acrobatic skills. Having had the finest education, he speaks with fluency in English, French, Spanish, Mandarin, and Japanese (though he appears not to know how to read any of the foreign languages). He is having trouble with his martial arts with Harley Quinn’s training being his basic form; his last move always seems to be a killing blow. He also prefers Harley’s unconventional street fighting to the disciplined martial arts.

Bat Boy’s costume is made of a version of Quad-weave Kevlar-lined material. It has excellent protection against overall damage, but is also lined with a rubber like material, making him much less agile and faster than Batman. His costume is branded to his style of fighting. Therefore, his costume contains more body-armor inlays than Batman increased need of shock-absorption. Bat Boy’s cape allows him to fall at any height and glide down at a speed in which no injury will happen. His suit also contains compartments in both gauntlets and boots which are full of goodies for the just in case missions. Bat Boy uses grapple guns just like Batman that gives him the classic swinging abilities as his mentor. His mask is made to fully conceal his face due to both Ivy and Harley knowing who he is just by looking at him. His full mask also is fixed with up to date gas mask and night vision goggles. It also has different lenses in the mask which give him two different views inputted into it. In case of emergency, Bat-boy may remove his full face mask and cape, but the area around the eye stays on, still concealing his identity.

Socially, Josh Burke is the new face for the Wayne’s. Josh has already promised to move Wayne Tech to a more Eco-friendly direction. Bruce is supporting his ways and is already taking suggestions from Josh. Josh still visits both Ivy and Harley in prison. They are always somewhat ashamed at seeing them like they are, but Josh treats them both with respect and gives them gifts with each visit. At 16, Josh holds more shares in Wayne tech than most chairmen. Surprisingly, Bruce merely gave him his first share and Josh took it over from there. At this time, Josh still confines in Alfred more than Bruce, but still looks at Bruce as a father figure.

Complications:

Young High-schooler: Though devoted to being a hero, Josh does like the life of a high schooler and because of this, my fog his mind a bit.

Over Confident: Because of his Mentor Batman, Josh is overconfident in anything. Whether it's sneaking into a lab. Or deactivating a bomb.

Secret I.D.: Josh tries to keep his Identity secret from as many people as possible.

Restraint: Josh needs to learn restraint in battle. If bruised/injured more than 3 times, Josh goes back towards his street fighting base as taught by Harley, thus taking his hits from non-lethal, to lethal.

Chivalry: Josh has a hard time fighting woman due to the two whom saved his life during the quake. Unless he has no other choice, Josh will disarm the female opponent and restrain her.

Thorpacolypse
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Location: Bloomington, IL (Summer home in the dark recesses of the human psyche...)

Postby Thorpacolypse » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:43 pm

Moira wrote:What about living villains? I'm sure some of the more noble types want to do more than watch the world burn ;)

I was thinking, too. Catman, Deadshot or someone like that.

Regardless, I'm in and I already have a PL10/150 Ravager at J-Mart all ready to go, even. 8)
Shop J-Mart!

Service with a smilie! :)

XeroKhan
Luminary
Luminary

Postby XeroKhan » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:01 pm

A lot of the still-living villains either are:

>Working under Joker for some reason
>Hired by Joker for some Bounty-Hunting of the living heroes of Earth
>Or out of Joker's way entirely by living in seclusion.

Who is to say which villain will go against the Joker? However, there are a good number of villains that I will be using, so please ask as to which one you have an idea for.

Common Terms I will use:

Aerlwyn
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Aerlwyn » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:13 pm

Have an idea for the daughter of Ravager/Nightwing. Need to ask if armor is considered a power or equipment.

Moira
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Moira » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:15 pm

Another question, what continuity are we dealing with? New52, post Infinite Crisis, pre Infinite Crisis, some nostalgic mishmash?
RIP Angel 1989-2011

XeroKhan
Luminary
Luminary

Postby XeroKhan » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:25 pm

@Aerlwyn: It depends on what the armor is made of. A common armor like Leather and Kevlar is Equipment, but Nth Armor and Prometheum Armor are considered power. Does this help?

The continuity is pre Infinite Crisis with inspiration from Batman: Arkham City.

Common Terms I will use:

Aerlwyn
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Aerlwyn » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:52 pm

Ah ok thanks for that will try and figure out what the look of the armor is to know which it counts as. Anyone have a thought on the armor as it looks more of a power look to it than as equipment.

Return to “M&M Game Room”