The Labyrinth: School for Metas [IC]

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
griever
Henchman
Henchman

Re: The Labyrinth: School for Metas [IC]

Postby griever » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:40 am

Adam Park
HP 5
Condition Good

Adam covered a yawn as he leaned back into his chair. This wasn't to say that the class wasn't interesting. If anything, he was incredibly keen on how to better hone his natural talents to get an edge on others who had...powered options available to them. Crossing his arms over his chest, Adam listened attentively as Manning gave his long-story-short answer to Alice as the young man made a mental note (hah!) to talk with the psionic about ways to condition the mind against mental assault.

"Mister Manning, sir, I understand how learning more about criminality in both the individual as well as society would offer an added insight one might not typically look to see. But Miss Mindsdotter brings up a good point. If one is capable of discerning the thought of criminal activity before the action, shouldn't it be their prerogative to act upon that information? Regardless of the legality of mind-reading."

Certainly, it was a scary thought to have someone in your head, prying and reading every little detail that went on in your brain. But imagine a world where crime was non-existent because it was stopped before it even happened. A world without senseless acts of violence behind closed doors. A world without violent robbery. A world where a young boy and his parents could walk home from the theater without consequence.

Crazyivan777
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Crazyivan777 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:40 am

Manning grinned, "I just thought about killing you. Want to arrest me?"

He then stepped to one of the monitors and tapped away at a keyboard, "Thinking of a crime isn't a crime. In fact, there have been a few instances of exactly what you've said happening. People getting arrested due to precognition or telepathy, and, in the United States, every single instance has been decided in favor of the defendant. Mens Rea, the 'guilty mind' is important in establishing a crime at a legal level, and telepathy can be used to testify to that, especially if the court recognizes the telepath as an expert, but it can never be the part and parcel of a criminal case. We can't put people in jail for their thoughts, or even their intents, until they act upon them."

A few different cases came up on the monitors, each involving people being arrested for 'thought intent' to commit a crime.

"Now, as I said, we'll be covering more of the nature of psionics in the criminal justice system later in the class. Does that answer your immediate questions?"

flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby flynnarrel » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:26 pm

Gillian

Gillian raises her hand.

"Not a question, but an addition." she says in the crisp tones of wanna-be teacher's pets everywhere.

"My sister is a lawyer partly working on the idea of psionics being useful in establishing 'intent' which goes a long way to charges of Manslaughter vs. 1st, 2nd, or 3rd degree Murder. But the crime has to be already committed. But until then it's a gross invasion of privacy and kinda creepy to casually read minds. It'd be like, I dunno, say, if I kept someone's bed 20 degrees colder than the rest of the dorm. For a week." She glances at Alice a moment before lowering her hand.

SilvercatMoonpaw
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby SilvercatMoonpaw » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:38 pm

Alseid Druj Nekomata Djinn

"Why would you even arrest them?" Alce wasn't quite sure why she was speaking up: she didn't have any mental powers, it wasn't really her issue. "Why not use it as an opportunity to help them manage anger or.....Jail just seems like too harsh a resort. What if that just makes them madder?"

XeroKhan
Luminary
Luminary

Postby XeroKhan » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:29 pm

Alice Mindsdotter
HP 2
CONDITION: Fine

Glancing back over at Gill, Alice then added, "Thank you for answering my question, sir. I was only inquiring in case if I ever get into such a situation again." Alice knew that Gillian had "one-upped" Alice. One day, Alice would give Gillian what's coming to her.

OOC: More rivalry is sparking here, and I LOVE it! :mrgreen:

Common Terms I will use:
>D#: Failure by (1-4) Degree
>EFN (Epic Fail Number): A Natural 1
>Nat 10: Taking a Natural 10 on a specific Skill

Crazyivan777
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Crazyivan777 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:49 pm

Manning nodded thoughtfully at Alsied's question, "Sadly, while this class doesn't delve much into the problems and challenges of incarceration, that is a very fair question. If that's something you'd like to pursue further, I'd suggest talking to Siren of the Freedom League. She guest-lectures here on occasion, and is very interested in that area."

Manning then handed out the syllabus, and started talking about the basics of detective work.

The class went on for a bit, with Manning lecturing about basic terminology that would be used in the course. Finally, towards the end, he tapped again on his PDA and the screens at the front of the class cleared.
"Now, for the long-term project. As I said, we'll be focusing on practical applications of criminology. Thus, part of your grade will be on a collective scale based on this."
The screens begin to pull up information and photos on several different organizations.
"I want you, as a class, to get together and pick a particular topic to do both classroom and field research on. Here are some options, although if you have something else in mind and can agree on it, we can work from there as well. Note that I say 'research'. I'm not expecting you to take down an organization or put yourself in unnecessary danger."

The names on the screens were:

The Driogano Organization: Suspected organized crime
Max-Max: Metahuman / drug trafficking connection
Circuit Maximus: Underground metahuman fight ring
The Foundry: Ultra high-tech mercenaries
Ravens and Writing Desks: The Enigma robberies

jemal
Hero
Hero

Postby jemal » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:51 am

Crazyivan777 wrote:"I want you, as a class, to get together and pick a particular topic to do both classroom and field research on. Here are some options, although if you have something else in mind and can agree on it, we can work from there as well. Note that I say 'research'. I'm not expecting you to take down an organization or put yourself in unnecessary danger."

Jace's hand went to his rib cage, wincing at the memories. No, definitely not something a bunch of kids needed to get involved in..

The names on the screens were:
The Driogano Organization: Suspected organized crime
Max-Max: Metahuman / drug trafficking connection
Circuit Maximus: Underground metahuman fight ring
The Foundry: Ultra high-tech mercenaries
Ravens and Writing Desks: The Enigma robberies

Knowledge: Streetwise (1d20+5=12) To see if he knows anything about any of them.
Also, are any of them related to either of the groups he was involved in?

Crazyivan777
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Crazyivan777 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:18 pm

Driorgano: What you eventually wanted to move up into. They have fingers in a lot of pies, and many street-gangers dream of some day becoming 'made men' with them.
Max-Max: You've heard the name before. Think it has something to do with a drug that gives people temporary super-boosts to either their strength or their quickness. Apparently has some nasty side-effects involving paralysis, permanent fatigue, and / or death in some cases. You don't know who pedals it.
The rest: You have no idea.

griever
Henchman
Henchman

Postby griever » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:20 pm

Adam Park
HP 6
Condition Knows things...

Adam scratched his chin thoughtfully as he tried to remember just what it was he knew about all those groups...

Dice Roller wrote:Using Extra Effort for the +2 to the Skill Check, followed by one Hero Point to get rid of the fatigue.

Skill Check - Knowledge (Streetwise) 1d20+8+2=25

flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby flynnarrel » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:14 am

Gillian Deckers

Gillian tried to think of what she could contribute regarding these tropics.

SilvercatMoonpaw
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby SilvercatMoonpaw » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:51 pm

Alseid Druj Nekomata Djinn

Alce didn't know a thing about any of those subjects: she'd only been in this dimension a few days! She wasn't going to be much help unless they could be found in a local library.

XeroKhan
Luminary
Luminary

Postby XeroKhan » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:31 pm

Alice Mindsdotter
HP 2

After hearing the assignment, Alice began to think about if she had heard her father say something about one of those gangs.

Remembering Roll: 1d20+6=19;

Because Alice has the "Eidetic Memory" feat, she gets a +4 bonus on remembering on top of her Intelligence bonus of 2. I figure that she had to have heard her father say something about one of the gangs from her past.

Common Terms I will use:

Crazyivan777
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Crazyivan777 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:49 pm

@Adam- Driogano: Everyone knows them. Power-movers and shakers in the city. The ultimate organized crime family. There were rumors once that your father was somehow connected to them, but you're sure that's just nonsense. You also have heard some rumors that the power structure in their organization is starting to crumble, and they may go all game-of-thrones on each other at the drop of a hat.
As for Circuit Maximus, you've had friends who've gone to a fight or two. You never have. Security is apparently insanely tight, and the fights -occasionally- end in in-ring deaths.

@Gillian - The Driogano family actually has within it the cousin of one of your friends. You met her once at a party; Gloria was distant, but gracious, and you still have her number ... Somewhere...
Ravens and Writing Desks: For a short time you had busied yourself dealing with the Enigma robberies as they were reported in the papers. Word out on the streets is that someone may be trying to -outdo- Enigma himself, and that his competition might not be so careful about not hurting people involved in the capers...

@Alice - Circuit Maximus: You have a friend or two who has gone to the fights before. You were once told who to contact should you ever want to go to one of them. The door price tends to be expensive, but you've been told its 'negotiable' if favors can be traded. You've also been told that one of your friends -swears- she saw you in the audience at one of the fights, but you know you've never been there...
The Foundry: You remember hearing your father talking about this to the investigators after your mother disappeared. It didn't really go anywhere, but you remember the name being bandied about as something she'd been looking into, or possibly connected with.

XeroKhan
Luminary
Luminary

Postby XeroKhan » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:56 pm

Alice Mindsdotter
HP 2

Then the Circuit Maximus and the Foundry came up from Alice's past. "How can I be so stupid! Why did it not hit me earlier! If my mother was so oblivious, then why was she looking into some high-tech mercenaries? I need to ask my dad about that when I get a chance. Also, if my friend said that she saw me at one of those fights and I was never there that night, then who was the 'me' there?

Maybe one of my friends has some thoughts on this.
"

As easily as it was for her, Alice made a connection to her friends over her telepathic connection and relayed the following:

"Alright, I have some possible ideas for the Circuit Maximus and The Foundry. We should talk tomorrow on our assignment and figure out a game plan. As for tonight, those of you that wish to join me can meet me in the hall to the Simulation Chamber for some spelunking."

Common Terms I will use:

flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby flynnarrel » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:46 am

Gillian Deckers.

"That wasn't the deal!" Gillian protests loudly.

"If you could get M.E.L.'s assistance, we were going to find whatever information Daeealus or the Minotaur might have in their respective files. NOT go poking around in unsafe caves. Shennanigans like this can wind up on your Permanent Record." There it was, she invoked the dreaded P.R.-words. Let's see them weasel out from that!

Return to “M&M Game Room”