The Labyrinth: School for Metas [IC]

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
Crazyivan777
Zealot
Zealot

The Labyrinth: School for Metas [IC]

Postby Crazyivan777 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:01 am

The first day of class always seems the hardest...

Down a long, winding road that leads into a dense area of woods on the East coast stands a particular school. The Labyrinth, as it is known by those who work and learn there, is a large, Victorian-looking building. The appearance of age is belied, however, by the security measures; cameras and field generators placed to be hidden enough not to ruin the appearance of the place, but not so hidden that you forget the safety-minded intent of the devices' existence.
The building is three stories tall. Dorm rooms and staff offices on the first floor, classrooms on the second, and a third floor that has been designated as strictly off-limits to the students and staff. Only Daedalus and Siren, members of the Freedom League, have ever been seen to enter the windowless third floor.
Behind the building is a large, cleared field. Within it are two baseball diamonds, a soccer field, and an enormous outdoor pool with a barely-visible force dome over it, keeping out inclement weather. A long running track encircles the entire athletic area.

It is the first day of the new season at the Labyrinth, and the tour begins in an hour and a half. You have your room assignments. Please feel free to meet your fellow classmates and get yourself settled in. We hope your year is one full of growth and new opportunities.

XeroKhan
Luminary
Luminary

Re: The Labyrinth: School for Metas [IC]

Postby XeroKhan » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:41 pm

Alice Mindsdotter
HP 1
CONDITION: Fine

A white limousine parks in front of the school, and Alice steps out wearing sunglasses and holding an open black parasol in one hand and a suitcase in the other hand. All around her, Alice could "hear" the many voices of the staff and students that have already arrived there. It was then that Alice began her approach to the front door, opening it with her mind easily. Behind her was the limousine driver carrying a couple of other cases that belonged to Alice.

Once inside, Alice set her suitcase down beside her to close her parasol back up and then pull out her pamphlet from the school. It was merely a glance at the map on the pamphlet that Alice learned her way around. "Alright, Dorm Room 25 should just be down this hall here." Alice had thought to herself, and went off to her dorm room to set up. Once Alice had found her room, the limousine driver placed her luggage on the floor and bid her adieu before leaving. "What a good man he was. No wonder dad had hired him." Alice had thought to herself, then focused her attention on separating her luggage using her telekinesis (as practice).

"And now to wait for the tour to begin." Alice said out loud once she had quickly finished separating her stuff.

OOC: I am ready when Ivan is.

Common Terms I will use:
>D#: Failure by (1-4) Degree
>EFN (Epic Fail Number): A Natural 1
>Nat 10: Taking a Natural 10 on a specific Skill

griever
Henchman
Henchman

Postby griever » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:27 pm

Adam Park
HP 5
Condition Normal

"Bag? Check. Wallet? Check. Cellphone? Check as well."

While other students were staring at the white limousine, a young Asian boy ran a hand through the black bangs of his hair as he jostled them to the side before fixing his black-rimmed glasses and readjusting the strep of the black duffel bag slung over his shoulder. Passing through unnoticed among the other students, the young teen looked utterly lost, hopelessly confused, and completely helpless.

Wandering about aimlessly for the better part of an hour, the boy was jostled by jocks, ruffled by rabble rousers, dragged about by drama geeks, and chided by cheerleaders. Finally, he had reached his dorm, though certainly not without damages. Dropping his duffel bag on the ground with a dramatic sigh of relief, he slumped in his spot, looking upon the gleaming gold number on the worn-looking door to his dorm room.

'Dorm room 26. Well, if the roommate's weird...at least I've got neighbors.'

Looking to the closed door of room 25, he smiled quietly before opening the door of his dorm room and flopping down on the bed.

OOC wrote:Ready! :D

flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby flynnarrel » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:09 pm

Gillian Deckers

She'd had her parents drop her off early. Very Early. She told them it was so she could get the layout of the new place but really she just wanted to be out of that house. They couldn't deal with their daughter being a cold-blooded freak! For all their talk about acceptance of differently-powered beings and all their praising of her older sister for her work in the meta-human community they didn't want Gillian around after her abilities manifested. Oh sure, they said that this new school could offer her opportunities that her other one just couldn't and that her sister had done a lot of research to pick the best one for her, but Gillian knew the truth - she was an embarrassment.

She hadn't wanted to come to a new school for her Sophomore year. She'd already laid the ground work for a successful high school career at her old school - Debate team, Young Business Leaders of America, Swim team. Now she'd have to start from nothing. She'd spent the morning sulking around the fields, then finally stowed her stuff in a locker and peeled down to the crystal-blue one piece swimsuit she perpetually wore since her 'accident'. It seemed to be the only thing that could adapt to being frozen repeatedly. It was the one she'd been wearing that day so maybe that had something to do with it. In any event, she went out to the protected pool. She always felt better in the water. Maybe it would clear her head.

She dove in and allowed herself a few laps before swimming to the bottom and holding on to the filtration grate to stay down there. This wouldn't be possible if she were in her ice form. But then again, if she didn't have powers she wouldn't be able to stay down hear indefinitely, not suffering lack of air. She just watched the blurry world above her, aware only of the sun moving as time passed, and her own sulking thoughts.

Feel free to have a PC or NPC come by.

SilvercatMoonpaw
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby SilvercatMoonpaw » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:46 pm

Alseid Druk Nekomata Djinn
HP: 1

A head was shoved into the water at the top of the pool. White skin. Light yellow-green hair. The person smiled and waved at Gillian before kicking something off and diving right in. Feet that where hooved at the toe end and a long, tufted white tail were briefly seen before they transformed into a fishy mermaid tail. The person settled at the bottom next to Gillian.

"Hi, I'm Alseid Druk Nekomata Djinn, but my friends call me Alce."
Of course this could be distorted through the water.
Last edited by SilvercatMoonpaw on Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby flynnarrel » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:50 pm

Gillian Deckers

Gillian stared in awe as the thing thrust itself into the water after her. Her instincts took over as wide, panicked eyes went solid white, followed quickly by the rest of her as her body became solid ice. The bouyancy was too much and she lost her grip on the filtration grate and shot to the surface, trailing ice crystals through the water, the top of the pool froze in a ten foot chunk anchored to the nearest side wall and Gillian landed on the impromptu spar/iceberg looking back down into the water.

She quickly mastered her panic and cursed her reaction.

Jeez, Jill, Get a grip! What part of 'School for Ab-Normals' did you not understand? she berated herself

"Umm... hello? Sorry about that. I - I didn't understand you down there. I'm Gillian."

SilvercatMoonpaw
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby SilvercatMoonpaw » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:56 am

Alseid floats up, but bangs her head on the rather clear ice. Rubbing it she gives the ice a few experimental taps. Then as her body manifests armor plates and horns she easily pushes up through.

"Hi Gillian. You don't know how nice it is to finally see someone else with an augment. This world is soooooo boring: I had to walk all the way here from the cross zone and I didn't see one beast or monster and everyone looks the same!

"So what are you part: Ice Elemental? Frost Fae?"

Crazyivan777
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Crazyivan777 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:39 pm

@Alice:

There's a knock on the door-frame as an attractive blond girl leans her head in. "Hey! Nice outfit! You new here? I'm Brittany. Just got my own stuff stored away, thought I'd say hi."

@Adam:

A minute or two later, a tallish young man with short blond hair carries in two enormous suitcases. The left one looks like a slight struggle, but the right is held up by what's pretty obviously an advanced cybernetic arm.

"Hey there! Looks like we're roomies. I'm Bruce. You get the lay-out of this place yet? I'll admit, tad confused at this end. It's like the place is a maze or something..." The grin at the end of the statement makes the joke sort-of obvious. "Keep expecting to run into a minotaur..."

XeroKhan
Luminary
Luminary

Postby XeroKhan » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:42 pm

Alice Mindsdotter
HP 1
CONDITION: Fine

"Hi." Alice responded, though not as enthusiastic as one would think. With her telekinesis, Alice was able to pull out a book while she was putting things away and began reading it as if Brittany were not there at all. Being able to turn the pages of the book while it is hanging in the air was good practice for Alice.

She did also notice that there were two others outside her room, but specifically, Alice could not tell who, or what, they were. Without worrying too much, Alice kept on reading her book.

Common Terms I will use:
>D#: Failure by (1-4) Degree
>EFN (Epic Fail Number): A Natural 1
>Nat 10: Taking a Natural 10 on a specific Skill

griever
Henchman
Henchman

Postby griever » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:42 pm

Crazyivan777 wrote:A minute or two later, a tallish young man with short blond hair carries in two enormous suitcases. The left one looks like a slight struggle, but the right is held up by what's pretty obviously an advanced cybernetic arm.

"Hey there! Looks like we're roomies. I'm Bruce. You get the lay-out of this place yet? I'll admit, tad confused at this end. It's like the place is a maze or something..." The grin at the end of the statement makes the joke sort-of obvious. "Keep expecting to run into a minotaur..."

Adam Park
HP 5
Condition Normal

The teen's ears perked at the sound of a new voice. Stopping with the task of putting away his clothes, he got on his feet with a warm smile. Chuckling at the not-so-subtle jab at the school's name, he kicked his near-empty bag to the side before extending a hand to Bruce in friendship.

"Park. Adam Park. It's a pleasure to be rooming with you Bruce. And no, can't say I have. Orientation ought to be sometime soon though...can't imagine when, mind you."

flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby flynnarrel » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:05 pm

Gillian Deckers

SilvercatMoonpaw wrote:Alseid Druk Nekomata Djinn
"Hi Gillian. You don't know how nice it is to finally see someone else with an augment. This world is soooooo boring: I had to walk all the way here from the cross zone and I didn't see one beast or monster and everyone looks the same!

"So what are you part: Ice Elemental? Frost Fae?"

"Fae? Ah... umm... no, I'm a human, or I guess 'meta-human' is the correct term now." She considered changing back to her flesh form but one look at the other... being's armor and horns made her think better of it.

"And you are a... something else? And did you say your name was 'Aul-See'? And... You change your shape? How... neat." Gillian observes with trepidation.

SilvercatMoonpaw
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby SilvercatMoonpaw » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:32 pm

flynnarrel wrote:"And you are a... something else? And did you say your name was 'Aul-See'? And... You change your shape? How... neat." Gillian observes with trepidation.

"Alss. One syllable.

"Wait, me? I'm human. I just got some bad juice mixed into my alt-bath when I was getting the unicorn upgrade. Now I got all kinds of monster powers.

"And it's not shape-changing. It's manifesting. Changing mass."

flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby flynnarrel » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:35 pm

Gillian Deckers

"Oh, I see." Gillian said, not really seeing anything at all except that maybe this person was driven just a little bit crazy by their abilities, perhaps creating a delusional world to explain them away when nothing else made sense.

Crazy and with monster powers... okaaaaay. Time to determine the depth of crazy on a scale of Homocidal-Psychotic-Madman to Uncle-Gerald's-Macys'-Women's-bathroom-incident.

"So, your name's is like 'Halls' without the 'H'? Okay, Are you a new or returning student here, Alls?" If returning, then the staff probably knew about her delusional 'quirk' and deemed her safe enough. If new, she may be a Regrettable-Incident-at-Local-School waiting to happen.

SilvercatMoonpaw
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby SilvercatMoonpaw » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:57 pm

Alce looked puzzled. "Maybe the translation spell isn't working right. Some people can't do it and call me Alice instead.

"I'm new here. My mom sent me so the reporters would leave me alone. I guess another dimension is far enough."

I don't actually know how "alce" is supposed to be pronounced. I'm just guessing it's a weird pronunciation where the "ce" is more like an "se" like in "Alice", but it could conceivably be "ke" or the whole word could even be something completely different like "Ailsay".

In short I hate English spelling.
Last edited by SilvercatMoonpaw on Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

flynnarrel
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby flynnarrel » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:55 pm

Gillian Deckers

Gillian took an involuntary step backwards. Other dimensions... okaaaaaay. So much for keeping an open mind. Full dissociative schitzophrenia, I bet they'd call it. Maybe I should leave before they call it a tragic end to a promising young woman's life.

"Say, Alce, can you fly?"
Gillian asks conversationally.

Return to “M&M Game Room”