[OOC] Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (Recruiting closed)

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!
drothgery
Collaborator
Collaborator

[OOC] Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (Recruiting closed)

Postby drothgery » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:46 pm

This wouldn't necessarily be set in the Marvel Universe (and if it was, it would be the Avengers/Thor/Captain America/Hulk/Iron Man movies* + the new TV show version of said universe, as I'm not a comic reader and so don't know the details anywhere near well enough for anything else), but would have the basic premise of (mostly) normal people dealing with super-hero world threats.

I'm thinking PL 8, 3 skill points/power point (including combat skills, but combat skills should be more narrowly tailored than normal), no more than one ability score above 4 and none above 8. Powers should be derived from equipment or training, but minor non-attack powers might be exceptions (short range telepathy, a small dimensional pocket, etc.). PC magic would be limited to rituals.

So would anyone be interested? If so, would you prefer to be in the Marvel movie universe or an original one (albeit probably built with large dollops Green Ronin's Freedom City universe)? And what would you want to play?

Update: I decided we'll be going with the Marvel Movie Universe. Note that the recent X-Men, Fantastic Four, and Spider-Man movies are not part of the continuity with the Avengers movies and the new TV show.

Update 2: All characters will receive 1 rank of Benefit, Security Clearance and an unlimited supply of well-tailored, comfortable, and hard to damage black suits upon formally joining SHIELD. You do not need to spend points on this (if you want to be a more senior SHIELD operative and have more than one rank of a Security Clearance, or your character's fashion sense dictates a more extensive wardrobe, go nuts).

Roll Call Thread
IC thread
Last edited by drothgery on Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:33 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Dave Rothgery
long time lurker, only recent poster ...
Lady Lillian Firestorm
Abigalan S'Mirat
Jeran
Tessa Testarossa

Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Interest Check - Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - ish game

Postby Hound » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:47 pm

So you want to make an Alpha's game basically.
"Whats wrong? You came here expecting to fight a madman, and instead found a god!?"
My Characters

drothgery
Collaborator
Collaborator

Postby drothgery » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:50 pm

Hound wrote:So you want to make an Alpha's game basically.

Possibly. I never watched Alphas.
Dave Rothgery
Lady Lillian Firestorm
Abigalan S'Mirat
Jeran
Tessa Testarossa

Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Hound » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:02 pm

drothgery wrote:

Government agents. Minimal super powers. mostly utility, not offensive.
"Whats wrong? You came here expecting to fight a madman, and instead found a god!?"
My Characters

EnigmaticOne
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby EnigmaticOne » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:08 pm

Both options sound great.
Impeach the peach!

drothgery
Collaborator
Collaborator

Postby drothgery » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:13 pm

Hound wrote:
drothgery wrote:

Government agents. Minimal super powers. mostly utility, not offensive.

Then yes, with a few caveats
1) There will be full-on super powered characters (and/or Tony Stark-level gadgeteers) around. They just won't be the PCs (and if not the villains, will only be seen in very short cameos).
2) I'd want a similar tone to the Avengers and Iron Man movies (and the previews of the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show); this game will not take itself too seriously if it gets started.
Dave Rothgery
Lady Lillian Firestorm
Abigalan S'Mirat
Jeran
Tessa Testarossa

SilvercatMoonpaw
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby SilvercatMoonpaw » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:29 pm

Somehow I'm interested even though non/low-power isn't usually my thing. I'm not the greatest thinker, unfortunately, but I am reasonably good a quirky characters.

I'd rather it not be something that requires too much prior knowledge of the setting, though.

Hound
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Hound » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:31 pm

Thinking this over, if we only have 1 or 2 utility super powers, but be PL 8 AND have 4 skill points per point, i feel like many of us will have like 6 or 8 skills maxed out at 18, which is pretty insane.
My Characters

drothgery
Collaborator
Collaborator

Postby drothgery » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:42 pm

Hound wrote:Thinking this over, if we only have 1 or 2 utility super powers, but be PL 8 AND have 4 skill points per point, i feel like many of us will have like 6 or 8 skills maxed out at 18, which is pretty insane.
I might adjust that, but keep in mind that you will be able to have 'normal' abilities and equipment that are mechanically powers (it's hard to get a PL-level attack that's not a power, for one).
Dave Rothgery
Lady Lillian Firestorm
Abigalan S'Mirat
Jeran
Tessa Testarossa

XeroKhan
Luminary
Luminary

Postby XeroKhan » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:57 pm

This does sound interesting. If anything else, I would suggest 3 skill ranks per Power Point. This way it is not as powerful at PL 8 characters, but also not as weak as the classic 2 skill ranks per Power Point in the 3e. I would like to play in an original universe or the Freedom-verse preferably, but I have no objections on it being in the Marvel universe.

As for the character, I was thinking of a character would be something along the lines of a "Mad Hatter" character, but Mind Reading through some form of an interface rather than Mind Control.

I also just had this thought: why not there be a separate elite group that is more focused on supers, but are still not as powerful as the Big Leagues like Iron Man or Hulk? This was just a thought.

Common Terms I will use:
>D#: Failure by (1-4) Degree
>EFN (Epic Fail Number): A Natural 1
>Nat 10: Taking a Natural 10 on a specific Skill

jemal
Hero
Hero

Postby jemal » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:03 pm

very interesting.

I would have to disagree with hound about alphas being minimal power though:
Bills adrenal boost gave him super human strength & speed, Cameron's hyperkinesis was just awesome, Nina had mind control, and Gary was Skynet.
Definitely not in Ironman/thor/hulk league, but definitely cap/spiderman power level
:p
awesome show, shouldn't have been cancelled. :(

jemal
Hero
Hero

Postby jemal » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:08 pm

one suggestion i have for the skills is an alternate skill cap: Skill POINTS spent on a skill cap at PL+5, so if you want higher than a +13 you actually have to invest in the stat (making stats a bit more appealing and making the high-end skills a bit harder to obtain)

Oh, and I'm thinking of a sherlock-type with predictive powers.
Last edited by jemal on Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moira
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby Moira » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:10 pm

I'm trying to get a feel for what you mean by "mostly normal". Would that disqualify someone with wings? Or any movement powers?
RIP Angel 1989-2011

drothgery
Collaborator
Collaborator

Postby drothgery » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:33 pm

SilvercatMoonpaw wrote:I'd rather it not be something that requires too much prior knowledge of the setting, though.
The setting will either be the recent movie Marvel universe as I see it (and I'm not great for picking up detail in movies) or constructed on the fly by me with bits of the Freedom-verse tossed in mostly because they're easily available with M&M stats (alternatively, the serial numbers may be filed off of DC Universe stuff).
Dave Rothgery
Lady Lillian Firestorm
Abigalan S'Mirat
Jeran
Tessa Testarossa

drothgery
Collaborator
Collaborator

Postby drothgery » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:39 pm

XeroKhan wrote:This does sound interesting. If anything else, I would suggest 3 skill ranks per Power Point. This way it is not as powerful at PL 8 characters, but also not as weak as the classic 2 skill ranks per Power Point in the 3e.
There seems to be some consensus that going to 4 skill ranks per pp is over the top, so I think I'll end up going with 3.

jemal wrote:one suggestion i have for the skills is an alternate skill cap: Skill POINTS spent on a skill cap at PL+5, so if you want higher than a +13 you actually have to invest in the stat (making stats a bit more appealing and making the high-end skills a bit harder to obtain)
I'll have to think about that, because I'd rather see most ability scores in the 'unmodified human' range (as per the only one score above 4/none above 8 restriction), and your enemies may not be bound by this ...
Dave Rothgery
Lady Lillian Firestorm
Abigalan S'Mirat
Jeran
Tessa Testarossa

Return to “M&M Game Room”