Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Paradigm Shift: OOC

This forum is the place for Mutants & Masterminds Play-By-Post games. Please read the M&M Game Room rules before starting or joining a game. Enjoy!

Re: Paradigm Shift: OOC

Postby Lord Fell » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:08 pm

I'm wondering a little bit about American Amazon's "golden lasso," or as I've billed it her Cyber-Coil.

I put points into Item Feat: Indestructible and rather randomly bought Swinging. Well, actually, swinging wasn't exactly random, I had planned to have another device, a "golden eagle wing jet-propelled glider," but I ran out of points, although I could certainly build my Wonder Woman a lot more cheaply than I have.

How badly do I need the Indestructible? To my mind, a Device paid for with PP is pretty difficult to break, but it can be done... the PP expenditure just means the Device can be repaired, replaced, recovered, etc. If it's actually destroyed, I might have to go without it for awhile (a complication) but I'd get the points back in some fashion (if not exactly the same device).

I also assume that the "base form" of a device is a free feature, within reason. If it were a sword, I could cut things. This is a rope... I paid for Extended Reach, but I would still expect it to function like a rope (eg: I can tie someone up with it). I also bought Close Combat: Lariat to use with it (lariat = lasso). So... can I use it to snare one of the sorceress' staves? Or, perhaps I should be buying Improved Feats with it, eg. Improved Trip or Choke-hold... I'd have to drop Swinging to do that, but I'm not super tied to that power anyways.

The notion that she has a certain amount of direct mental control over her lasso is also intriguing. If that thing had any fibre-optics, she could "snake-charm" it, and use it to look around corners and such. At the moment, the mental control she has is mostly descriptor on how she can throw a lasso, snare something to swing on, and then have free rope to throw for her next swing-point (she mentally unties the loop, and wills the loop back into her hand for the next toss).

...so, can I get a bit of GM input on my Iconic-but-Reimagined Device?
Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:26 pm

Lord Fell wrote:I'm wondering a little bit about American Amazon's "golden lasso," or as I've billed it her Cyber-Coil.
How badly do I need the Indestructible?

I don't see it coming up. If you wanted Captain America's shield, which simply cannot be replicated, that should be Indestructible IMO. You lose the coil, you get refitted between scenes (within reason...). Either that, or it gets replaced by something else of equal cost and worth...

Lord Fell wrote:I also assume that the "base form" of a device is a free feature, within reason. If it were a sword, I could cut things. This is a rope...

Agreed.

Lord Fell wrote:I paid for Extended Reach, but I would still expect it to function like a rope (eg: I can tie someone up with it). I also bought Close Combat: Lariat to use with it (lariat = lasso). So... can I use it to snare one of the sorceress' staves? Or, perhaps I should be buying Improved Feats with it, eg. Improved Trip or Choke-hold... I'd have to drop Swinging to do that, but I'm not super tied to that power anyways.

The tying someone up would be a "free" AP to me, and with Extended Reach if you want to describe it as a whip trying to grab something or lassoing a staff, be my guest. I love the power of descriptors. This also fits my understanding of a lariat - it is more of extended reach with training than a ranged grab.

Lord Fell wrote:The notion that she has a certain amount of direct mental control over her lasso is also intriguing. If that thing had any fibre-optics, she could "snake-charm" it, and use it to look around corners and such. At the moment, the mental control she has is mostly descriptor on how she can throw a lasso, snare something to swing on, and then have free rope to throw for her next swing-point (she mentally unties the loop, and wills the loop back into her hand for the next toss).

I like that fibre optic idea... vision penetrates concealment, limited to looking around corners or some such. The mental control is exactly how I see it.

Lord Fell wrote:...so, can I get a bit of GM input on my Iconic-but-Reimagined Device?

In short, I would think that Extended Reach, Improved Trip, Choke-hold or the like you could accomplish exactly what you are looking for. Hog-tying is a free AP, and indestrucible is largely over the top.

Is this what you were looking for in terms of input?
Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Lord Fell » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:04 am

That's pretty much the feedback I was looking for. I guess a summary of the previous posts would look like this:
Q: Are we on the same page?
A: Ah-yup.

Looking at how to build that fiber-optic thing... what I came up with was:
Remote Visual Sensing 1 (Flaw: Requires Medium) [1pp]
Here, the Medium in question would be that the rope itself must get to the location to be viewed. A rank 1 Remote Sensing has a 60' range, I figure we could call it 50' for a 50' rope.

I'm still kind of wondering about leaving the Indestructible though. If Amazon lassos (for example) a jet fighter, the device would still have to be strong enough to survive a contest between her Strength of 12 and the jet's Movement of... 11? Or, if she were to try and tow a freighter up a river, etc. etc...
Exactly how durable can I expect it to be, without putting the points up?
Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:18 pm

My GM style would not require the rope to be indestructible for those types of things.
The only reason the rope would snap for those would be to advance the story and would likely result in a shiny new HP.

You did buy it as a device and not equipment after all.

And in a nice twist of irony the latest Power Profile is cold based. Ha.
Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Lord Fell » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:26 pm

Cool. I'll make that switch then... I think the remote sensing is something that Diana would seldom use... it's just a bit of extra flavour that differentiates my imagining of Wonder Woman yet another step from the typical. I always put my characters in my character thread, link in my signature. I did make some small tweaks to Amazon since the character was posted to the thread, and the mot current version of the character is in my character thread.

Also... I saw "Louise Lincoln" and it didn't twig to me at all... but I had reason to look up this character yesterday, and then promptly face-palmed. Can't believe that I missed that...
Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:32 pm

I remember reading that background, come to think of it. Too funny.

As for the build location, so long as that remains the build that gets updates, NP. I've updated the link on page 1 to point to your thread.
Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Adventure Dan » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:09 am

Sorry it's been quiet on my end. I've been feeling under the weather recently (nothing as bad as glass in the hand, geez). I'll have a post tonight, however.
Adventure Dan
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Bladewind » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:10 pm

Thanks for the update.

I'd like to move along as we're potentially about to hit combat. I will post actions from the trio of femmes fatales tomorrow evening.

Note that this incursion is purposely meant to be "easy" as it's sole purpose is to start the story and bring the PCs together...
Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Nineofspades » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:14 pm

Maybe I missed it, but did I get an answer as to whether or not Karen saw the L-exosuits change?
Nineofspades
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Bladewind » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:24 pm

there was a PM, IIRC.
Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:55 pm

Forgot about parent teacher night... heading to post now. Expect an update in approx 30 mins...
Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Zen_Gypsy » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:44 am

As mentioned in other games I participate in my computer has decided to implode, as such I am currently shopping for a lap top that will suit my needs. I would imagine that I would be back to regular posting by Friday, or Monday at latest. As Rogers is pretty dismal on the initiative scale this may not he a problem, but if it becomes necessary to ghost my character, or skip him that isn't an issue either.

Sorry for the delay and talk to you folks soon.

~ Zen
"If sacred spaces are spared the ravages of war -- make all places sacred. And if the holy people are to be kept harmless from war -- make all peoples holy." -- Norrin Radd (Silver Surfer: Requiem; J. Michael Straczynski)
Zen_Gypsy
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Lord Fell » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:42 am

My suggestion would be that we post our actions in a mob, and then resolve. The problem with waiting for the person ahead of you is that it can slow a game down ridiculously, at a time (combat) when action should be at it's fastest. With my dismal roll of 3, if I have to wait for all 5 players plus GM resolution.... it's entirely possible that I might be sitting out this thread for 5 to 10 days before I can post my action.
Lord Fell
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:52 am

Lord Fell wrote:My suggestion would be that we post our actions in a mob, and then resolve. The problem with waiting for the person ahead of you is that it can slow a game down ridiculously, at a time (combat) when action should be at it's fastest. With my dismal roll of 3, if I have to wait for all 5 players plus GM resolution.... it's entirely possible that I might be sitting out this thread for 5 to 10 days before I can post my action.

I am quite good with that. Thanks for the input !

As an aside, this weekend is comic-con here in in Montreal and I intend/ plan to go Fri/ Sat/ Sun... and we have a family dinner on Sunday.

I may be absent as a consquence.
Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Walking Dad » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:30 am

I would actually like to post my action after the enemies who act before my character. This way I have not to re-re-do the whole thing if the enemy actions change the situation (like immobilize with magic bonds or something like that).
English isn't my native language. Have patience, please.

WD's PbP characters (3e)
Martian Manhunter builds
Walking Dad
Luminary
Luminary

PreviousNext

Return to M&M Game Room