Making Jedi

The place to discuss using and abusing the first edition Mutants & Masterminds rules. Rules questions, rules interpretations, house rules, and more rules.
Kazuel
Bystander
Bystander

Making Jedi

Post by Kazuel » Sun May 29, 2005 9:41 am

I know that this has been discussed at length already, but I didn't want to drudge up an old post and have people reading pages of posts before they got to what I had to say. I wanted to make a Jedi character and thought the best way to do it would be have a power similar to the Cosmic power for the force. This way, if there are multiple jedi in the world, they will all be using the same template to get started.

Force Sensitive
8pp/Level

Each rank in Force Sensitive gives you 1 rank in the following powers. Characters taking the Force Sensitive power must do so at character creation. Characters wishing to take Force Sensitive after character creation, must have GM approval and must find a Character with the power to "teach" them.

*Telekinesis
*Mind Control
*Mental Protection
*Running
*1 feat for each power ranking
*Super Senses
*You can sense others who have the Force Sensitive power

the Light saber would look like this...

Lightsaber
Weapon, energy (melee, Leathal damage) 10 ranks
-Armor Piercing Feat

I figured the power level/ranking system would look like this

Ranks in Force Sensitive / Title
5 ranks / Padawon
10 Ranks / Apprintence
15 Ranks / Jedi
20+ Ranks / Jedi Master

Other generic powers that jedi would want.

Deflection
Amazing Save
Boost
Leaping

Powers Sith (dark Jedi) may want.

Suffocate
Energy blast (Electricity)
Slow
Fatigue

Ok, so what do you think?[/b]

Urathander
Bystander
Bystander

Post by Urathander » Sun May 29, 2005 1:34 pm

Hi Kazuel,

I'm trying to do the same thing and I already heve some conclusions but no pratical result yet. Your work is good but I disagree some effects:

Mind Control: It's not a true control, it is more like a D&D Sugestion spell;
Running: I'm not sure, I imagine something like more agility (super-dexterity)
1 Feat for each Power Rank: If I buy 3 Ranks I will earn 3 feats? Don't saounds good, i don't know.
Super Sense: I really disagree, Combat Sense is much better. the jedi don't see or listen better than a normal human, but they can sense the danger.
Sense others: good

I agree with the other stuff you designed. Other good feat would be Attack Finesse, they use a energy weapon so they do not depend on strenght.

I creating the Force like a kind of Sorcery, the dark side effects could be treated like a disease or curse.

Urathander
Brazil - RJ

farik
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Location: I'm lost in some distant part of Nebraska, on a ship -- a LIVING ship

Post by farik » Sun May 29, 2005 3:42 pm

I agree with Urathander for the most part (except I think running and super dex would both work).

I'd also suggest for the lightsaber you add corrosion as an extra. This will allow the lightasaber to slice through inanimate matter even more easily. You'll also need to decide if Lightsabers can effect (any or all) forcefields.
One man's hobo booze is another man's fiiiine sippin' wine.

Oh, and by the way, I don't use drawbacks in my game, just complications.

The Shadow
Luminary
Luminary

Post by The Shadow » Sun May 29, 2005 4:36 pm

Looks pretty good, though for myself I'd allow some of the stuff to be bought as partial extras. As I understand it, some Jedi are better at mind tricks than others, for example.

Plus there may be a few oddball Force powers out there, known only to a few, that could be bought as extras.
"All right, I am not the Shadow. You have nothing at all to worry about. Except, oh, wait, I'm pointing a gun at you."

--The Shadow

Dread Lord
Superhero
Superhero

Post by Dread Lord » Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:33 pm

I would say replace Running with Leaping. Only see Jedi run super fast once in EP I, but through out the whole epic Jedi are jumping all over the place.
I sometimes wonder if I've ever made a smart decision.

mofos21
Bystander
Bystander

Post by mofos21 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:06 am

I agree with Dread Lord.

As for the lightsaber, I'd suggest adding Deflection as an extra (maybe partial extra) and include the Penetrating Attack feat.

For possible good feat choices, I would say Blind Fight (both Luke in Ep.4 and the young padawans in Ep.2 learned to defend themselves from blaster shots without seeing the attack) and Evasion (Jedi aren't normally tough and hardy, but they are able to react to things before they happen).

As I write this out, I don't think the Deflection extra on the lightsaber of the Blind Fight feat would be appropriate. Deflection should probably be a linked power, but with the flaw "only with lightsaber", as that's the only time Jedi are able to deflect attacks.

Hmm... This topic requires more thought

farik
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Location: I'm lost in some distant part of Nebraska, on a ship -- a LIVING ship

Post by farik » Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:54 pm

mofos21 wrote:...Deflection should probably be a linked power, but with the flaw "only with lightsaber", as that's the only time Jedi are able to deflect attacks...
Doesn't Obi Wan use one of those energy spear things to deflect attacks in Ep 3. Deflection might require a device but I'm not sure a Lightsaber is required so much as the most common available weapon to a Jedi.
One man's hobo booze is another man's fiiiine sippin' wine.

Oh, and by the way, I don't use drawbacks in my game, just complications.

Iron Man
Groupie
Groupie

Post by Iron Man » Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:08 pm

Doesn't Obi Wan use one of those energy spear things to deflect attacks in Ep 3. Deflection might require a device but I'm not sure a Lightsaber is required so much as the most common available weapon to a Jedi.
Obi Wan deflects blaster shots with his hand both in the cartoon and in the movie. Vader did it in EP5 when Han shot at him on Bespin.

The lightsaber is used by most Jedi, and I can only assume it's because it takes special training to use anything else. Blaster are dangerous and someone as wise as a Jedi wouldn't want to simply step in front of one.

the_masochist
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Post by the_masochist » Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:26 pm

the Jedi Mind trick is Mind control with a duration of instant at best, I would rule super skill bluff myself