New generic extra: Redirect

The place to discuss using and abusing the first edition Mutants & Masterminds rules. Rules questions, rules interpretations, house rules, and more rules.
Circeus
Hireling
Hireling

Post by Circeus » Mon May 30, 2005 6:13 pm

That's pretty nice, actually. Except it has one problem I've often perceived with the feat system: You get some advantages you might not necessarily want (i.e. Ricochet Attack might be totally inappropriate).

Also, I don,t see how this would allow the attacker to ignore concealment, an aspect that is purely visual (as opposed to cover, which is also physical).
Golden age set the moral standard, the Silver Age revised it, the Bronze Age broke free of it and the Rust Age ran wild with it. -- A. David Lewis

mouthymerc
Partisan
Partisan

Post by mouthymerc » Mon May 30, 2005 6:41 pm

Circeus wrote:That's pretty nice, actually. Except it has one problem I've often perceived with the feat system: You get some advantages you might not necessarily want (i.e. Ricochet Attack might be totally inappropriate).
How so? Redirecting your attack seems like an effect similar to ricocheting it.
Circeus wrote:Also, I don,t see how this would allow the attacker to ignore concealment, an aspect that is purely visual (as opposed to cover, which is also physical).
Actually, I was thinking the same thing as I did the feat. But, since I was basing it off of the Ricochet Attack feat I left it in. Personally, I think I would remove any reference to concealment in both.
People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
--George Orwell

Circeus
Hireling
Hireling

Post by Circeus » Mon May 30, 2005 7:17 pm

mouthymerc wrote:
Circeus wrote:That's pretty nice, actually. Except it has one problem I've often perceived with the feat system: You get some advantages you might not necessarily want (i.e. Ricochet Attack might be totally inappropriate).
How so? Redirecting your attack seems like an effect similar to ricocheting it.
Think it over. Oh god! That things makes no sense at all!!
Golden age set the moral standard, the Silver Age revised it, the Bronze Age broke free of it and the Rust Age ran wild with it. -- A. David Lewis

Grim Luck
Cohort
Cohort

Post by Grim Luck » Mon May 30, 2005 10:40 pm

Actually, I think that there might be another benefit to the effect. If you can change your shot's direction in mid flight, it could do something similar to feint, allowing you to surpise an opponent who thought you missed - a classic staple of comics.

"Ha ha ha. Is that the best you got. Your shot was completely off target. ARRRRGH!"

"That's what I wanted you to think, moron."
All the world is fascinated with monkeys.