Broadband Energy Control

The place to discuss using and abusing the first edition Mutants & Masterminds rules. Rules questions, rules interpretations, house rules, and more rules.
DrVesuvius
Hireling
Hireling

Broadband Energy Control

Post by DrVesuvius » Sat May 21, 2005 1:16 pm

For nostalgia reasons I'm trying to adapt the Golden Heroes scenario "The American Dream" to M&M - it was in the first issue of White Dwarf I ever bought, and was my introduction to superhero gaming. But I'm not sure of the best way to recreate the central character's main power, which is described as follows.
The rest of her powers come from the eagle-topped sceptre she uses. This allows her to manipulate and detect the manipulation of any form of energy. Though she cannot use more than 20 dice in five rounds, they can be used in any energy form (as can all her powers indicated by an asterisk). Similarly she can manipulate energy fields which allow her to do up to 2d6 damage in minor ways — by adjusting temperature or electrical flow-or perform minor effects-detecting and tracking radio waves, bending the light around her shield to render it invisible and the like. She has, as a result, a number of unique options which the supervisor should use with imagination.
First thought - buy Energy Control, with all the different energy types as extras.

Second thought - put together a custom power by assembling all the different abilities I'd want her to have, with the different energy forms being purely background trappings

Third thought - Buy a single Energy Blast of one energy type, with attacks of other energy types as Power Stunts. This wouldn't work for the base Energy Control power, as I can see cases where she'd want to manipulate two different energy types at once.

Because she's an NPC and her exact abilities under the Golden Heroes rules are left pretty vague, I can get away with winging it however I want, but I'd be interested to see how anyone else would model a power based on the above description.

Regards

Dr Vesuvius

DrFaust
Bystander
Bystander

Post by DrFaust » Sat May 21, 2005 1:59 pm

I think the second option is the best, using "energy control" as the special effects for the relevant powers.

DrVesuvius
Hireling
Hireling

Post by DrVesuvius » Mon May 23, 2005 5:03 pm

OK Here's what I've got, based on the description above

Energy Control - Radiation +8 (stunts: Detect Radiation, Radio Broadcast, Radio Hearing, Penetration Vision)
extra: Energy Control - Light ( stunts: EC Darkness, Drain Light, See Invisible)
extra: Energy Control - Heat (stunts: EC Cold, Drain Heat, Detect Temperature)
extra: Energy Control Electricity (extra: Animate, flaw: Electric Devices Only (no points rebate); stunts: Drain Electricity, Detect Electricity)
Energy Blast - Radiation (stunts: EB Cold, EB Heat, EB Electricity, EB Light)
extra: Invisibilty (extra: Area, stunt: Extra Sense - Radar)
extra - Immunity +4 (Partial - Cold, Heat, Electricity, Radiation)
flaw: Device (Eagle Sceptre)

Which I make out at 8pp per rank, 4pp for the Partial Immunity and 34pp for the Stunts, making 102pp for Rank 8.

This way she can simultaneously control Temperature, Light, Radiation and Electricity, can detect changes and manipulation of them, eliminate sources of them (Drain) put out an Energy Blast of any one type per round while simultaneously making an area invisible to vision and radar (which is an ability required by the scenario)

This is without doubt the most horrendously complex power I've ever built. Any suggestions for streamlining it?

Setothes
Overlord
Overlord

Post by Setothes » Mon May 23, 2005 11:00 pm

I have nothing useful to add to the power writeup, but wow, I loved that run of White Dwarf. Good article on cult-design, IIRC, and the various villains in the article you mention are pretty interesting. I liked Virus (a size-changing Duplicator).