Vulnerability and Protection

The place to discuss using and abusing the first edition Mutants & Masterminds rules. Rules questions, rules interpretations, house rules, and more rules.
Swordfire
Champion
Champion

Vulnerability and Protection

Postby Swordfire » Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:23 am

I have a question about the Vulnerability weakness. In the core rulebook it states that if a character is hit by an attack to which they are Vulnerable then they make their damage save as a base D20 roll, no modifiers, no nothing. How does this affect defensive powers such as Protection, which reduce the strength of the attack rather than boosting the Damage save? Is Protection automatically ineffective against an attack to which the character is Vulnerable? Can the character use Deflection to knock the attack to which they are Vulnerable aside before it hits them?
"Death smiles at a man. All we can do is smile back."

farik
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Location: I'm lost in some distant part of Nebraska, on a ship -- a LIVING ship

Re: Vulnerability and Protection

Postby farik » Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:39 am

Swordfire wrote:How does this affect defensive powers such as Protection, which reduce the strength of the attack rather than boosting the Damage save?

Protection is just a trick of transitive math properties to create a "ping" affect. The general concensus (including the game designer) is that protection is ineffective anytime an equivalent save would be ineffective.

Swordfire wrote:Is Protection automatically ineffective against an attack to which the character is Vulnerable?

Normally yes.

Swordfire wrote:Can the character use Deflection to knock the attack to which they are Vulnerable aside before it hits them?

As a GM I'd generally say no but it would depend on the special effects of the attack, the SFX of thedeflection, and the concept of the character.

Always remember a weakness isn't a weaness if it doesn't affect the character.
One man's hobo booze is another man's fiiiine sippin' wine.

Oh, and by the way, I don't use drawbacks in my game, just complications.

Cardiac
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Cardiac » Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:32 am

The official reply to this (it's somewhere on the official Q&A forum) is that Vulnerability trumps Protection. If you're vulnerable to a substance, you have no protection against it.

No, if the GM is alright with it, something like a Force Field might still work (protects you as long as your shields are up) or you might only suffer reduced protection against it (but then that would probably decrease the PP benefit of the flaw or it would have to be bought as an extra on the appropriate power).

RoninPhorce
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby RoninPhorce » Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:29 am

I would agree with Farik, Vulnerability trumps any defensive messure, otherwise it wouldnt really be much of a weakness. Special circumstances may apply, the deflection vs fx.
Remember: Its Role playing not Roll playing.

SilentTiger
Hireling
Hireling

Postby SilentTiger » Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:20 pm

Could Superman use his breath to blow away the chunk of green kryptonite thrown towards him?
Half Cat/ Half Human: an improvement of the human but a diminishing of the cat.
Champion City is looking for a few good Heroes. Join HERCON today.

elspark
Compatriot
Compatriot

Postby elspark » Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:44 pm

I read a comic book one time where he used his heat vision to melt a lump of kryptonite into a harmless puddle, so apparently all bets are off.

Or he blew a Hero point. 8)
Token Chaotic Neutral member of JUDGE.
+++
I'm the king of the squirrels!

mouthymerc
Partisan
Partisan

Postby mouthymerc » Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:48 pm

elspark wrote:Or he blew a Hero point. 8)

That would be my bet.
People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
--George Orwell

mgg
Superhero
Superhero

Postby mgg » Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:42 pm

Vulnerability trumps defenses, but not all of a characters powers. That would be too much for 10 points.

farik
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Location: I'm lost in some distant part of Nebraska, on a ship -- a LIVING ship

Postby farik » Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:26 pm

mgg wrote:Vulnerability trumps defenses, but not all of a characters powers. That would be too much for 10 points.

Wouldn't that depend more on the vulnerability?
One man's hobo booze is another man's fiiiine sippin' wine.

Oh, and by the way, I don't use drawbacks in my game, just complications.

Dr Archeville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Dr Archeville » Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:38 pm

mgg wrote:Vulnerability trumps defenses, but not all of a characters powers. That would be too much for 10 points.

Defensive powers (that is, Absorption, Amazing Save/Damage, Deflection, Force Field, Protection, and Super-Constitution) are the only ones Vulnerability really needs to trump ;)
Come join us at http://www.freedomplaybypost.com/index.php ! (current status: site and chat stable, Wiki pending)

RoninPhorce
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby RoninPhorce » Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:15 pm

Makes sense. I to have seen times where a comic character was able to over come a weakness by using a power so I would have to say vulnerability works against defensive powers not everything, that would be more like an inneffective flaw.
Remember: Its Role playing not Roll playing.

InnocentBystander
Henchman
Henchman

Postby InnocentBystander » Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:54 am

SilentTiger wrote:Could Superman use his breath to blow away the chunk of green kryptonite thrown towards him?

But that is not Vulnerability, that's Susceptibilty.

Vulnerabilty is MR. freeze/heat, Venom/sound, Superman/magic, etc.
I think the best compromise is to conisider the protection Ablative against the source of the weakness.

Marshal Law
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Marshal Law » Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:47 am

InnocentBystander wrote:
SilentTiger wrote:Could Superman use his breath to blow away the chunk of green kryptonite thrown towards him?

But that is not Vulnerability, that's Susceptibilty.

Vulnerabilty is MR. freeze/heat, Venom/sound, Superman/magic, etc.
I think the best compromise is to conisider the protection Ablative against the source of the weakness.

Actually, I'd say that supes is both Susceptable and Vulnerable to Kryptonite (Kryptonite! Not magic, as my traitorous fingers originally typed.), as not only does its mere presence cause him harm, but it also prevents his protection from working.

Shoot Supes with a bullet made of kryptonite, and he will suffer a bulletwound, as well as kyptonian poisoning. Mix kryptonite into a nerve gas and he will suffer the effects of the nervegas as well as the kryptonite.

And to my mind, Supes is *the* archetype of a character that has protection AND has a vulnerability.

So I'd be very inclined to say that something you are vulnerable should ignore protection just as easily as it ignores Amazing Save.
Last edited by Marshal Law on Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HAWK-Girl: Init +9; Melee: +8/+8; Def: +8 (Ff +2); Saves T/F/R/W +8/+5/+5/+5

mouthymerc
Partisan
Partisan

Postby mouthymerc » Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:51 am

I've always thought of Superman as being Susceptible to Green Kryptonite and Vulnerable to Magic.
People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

--George Orwell

Cardiac
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Cardiac » Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:06 am

From what I've seen, magic seems to simply pass through his defenses - it's presence doesn't affect him like kyptonite. A magical sword will cut him as easily as you or I, but he can hold it in his hands without worry of being affected.

If you were using the optional HP ruled in M&M, a magical sword would ignore Supe's DR and go straight to his HP.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (1e)”