Flawing Growth to JUST give larger size....

The place to discuss using and abusing the first edition Mutants & Masterminds rules. Rules questions, rules interpretations, house rules, and more rules.
Ravennus
Bystander
Bystander

Flawing Growth to JUST give larger size....

Postby Ravennus » Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:20 pm

Is it possible to flaw most of the features out of Growth, so that it only gives you the larger reach and minuses to hit/defence?

I was thinking you could just flaw out protection and immovability, which would lower the cost by 1pp/rank each.
Then flaw out Super-Strength. Now, since SS normally costs 4pp/rank, does taking it out as a flaw count as -3pp/rank (since 3pp/rank is how much it would cost as an extra)?

Taking away those things, it should just cost 1pp/rank.

Does this sound right?

-Ravennus

Marshal Law
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Marshal Law » Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:36 pm

Sounds about right to me.
HAWK-Girl: Init +9; Melee: +8/+8; Def: +8 (Ff +2); Saves T/F/R/W +8/+5/+5/+5

The Shadow
Luminary
Luminary

Postby The Shadow » Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:13 pm

Sure. Extra Reach has been treated as a feat, and the penalties to attack and defense definitely qualify as a flaw on that - so 1 pp/rank sounds great.

If anything, it might be a bit TOO expensive, as the feat-based approach I just mentioned would be 1 pp / size category.
"All right, I am not the Shadow. You have nothing at all to worry about. Except, oh, wait, I'm pointing a gun at you."

--The Shadow

mgg
Superhero
Superhero

Postby mgg » Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:26 pm

The pure size change part of Growth includes (If my memory serves me):

Plusses: Bonuses to grapple, bull rush, trip (?), extra reach, extra movement (neither of which are limited by PL stacking, btw)

Minuses: Penalties to attack and defense, penalties to hide, difficulty in fitting in to many spaces or using normal human sized stuff

Lindharin
Partisan
Partisan

Postby Lindharin » Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:46 pm

And if you flaw out the entirety of Super Strength, wouldn't that sort of say you shouldn't be able to move yourself? Or would you assume you still get "just enough" to move normally but not enough to hit harder, lift ANYTHING else extra, etc?

Doomhawk
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Doomhawk » Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:26 pm

Even without Super-Strength, being a larger size automatically gives you an increased carrying capacity. (Right? Or is that just D&D?)

Paragon
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Paragon » Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:45 pm

Doomhawk wrote:Even without Super-Strength, being a larger size automatically gives you an increased carrying capacity. (Right? Or is that just D&D?)

As far as I know, the only increase to carrying capacity in MnM Growth comes from the Super-Strength involved (which is quite a bit; since each full Growth step involves four levels of Super-Strength, each one improves your carrying capacity 16 times.)
And we by this sole token;
Know we once were gods;
Take shame in being broken;
No matter how great the odds.

Ravennus
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Ravennus » Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:17 am

The reason I asked, is because I was building this character made entirely of organic metal (sort of like Colossus, but permanent), who also grew to about 9-10 feet tall.

So, with Alternate Form: Solid bought up at 10 ranks with immovability as an extra, I didn't need those powers from Growth. They would be completely redundent, and wouldn't stack higher than his PL of 10.
All I wanted was to actually emulate the fact that..well...he was large size. The strength, immovability, and protection stuff was already dealt with (and more).

Make sense? :)

-Ravennus

Lindharin
Partisan
Partisan

Postby Lindharin » Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:43 am

Yep. :)

RoninPhorce
Fanatic
Fanatic

Large characters

Postby RoninPhorce » Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:12 am

If you dont want any of the protection immovability and stength of growth you just want the size, why not just make yourself bigger. I dont see a problem with just playing a Large sized character. The disadvantages are weighed out by the advantages. It works in D&D and it should here.
Remember: Its Role playing not Roll playing.

XEI
Hireling
Hireling

BINGO

Postby XEI » Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:26 pm

I have started to settle on this idea as well. In any cases where none of the powers come with Growth, why not just say you're whatever size you say you are? Now, in this case, growing to Large size as a power might question this only because you ahve to determine what are the effects of something like Drain on a power like this? Just saying you're Large doesn't give any mechanics to deal with a villain trying to bring you back down to their height with powers liek Drain of Neutralize.
8) NunoXEI => Twitter: @NunoXEI
www.xeibooks.com | www.nunoxei.com

mgg
Superhero
Superhero

Postby mgg » Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:41 pm

The problem with giving size change free on top of alternate form is this:

Alternative form(solid) + immovability = 6pp (+ free size change)
(Powers: Super strength, protection, immunities, immovability + size change)

Growth = 6pp
(Powers: Super strength, protection, immovability + size change)

Now for the 6pp version of Alternate form, you get all the benefits of the power Growth, plus you get a set of immunities for free, and you can transform into a variety of materials.

So i'd make the size change a 1pp extra to alternate form (solid).

Blackhawk
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Blackhawk » Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:43 pm

Ravennus wrote:The reason I asked, is because I was building this character made entirely of organic metal (sort of like Colossus, but permanent), who also grew to about 9-10 feet tall.

So, with Alternate Form: Solid bought up at 10 ranks with immovability as an extra, I didn't need those powers from Growth. They would be completely redundent, and wouldn't stack higher than his PL of 10.
All I wanted was to actually emulate the fact that..well...he was large size. The strength, immovability, and protection stuff was already dealt with (and more).

Um, why not buy his Alternate Form: Solid to 8 ranks (for example), and then buy Growth to 2 ranks?

Basically, just figure how many ranks of Growth you want him to have, and then buy the remaining ranks up to his PL in Alternate Form.
Blackhawk

"Batman's touching me. I'm going to die, aren't I?"

Evilschemer
Hireling
Hireling

Postby Evilschemer » Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:57 pm

This reminds me of one of the silly heroes in my game:

Jumbo Shrimp!

He can grow to immense size, but does not gain strength or mass. He can become 200 feet tall, but still weighs 200 lbs, so a strong gust of wind can push him over.

RoninPhorce
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby RoninPhorce » Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:19 am

Amusing.. You should really post that one on the Less than serious thread.
Remember: Its Role playing not Roll playing.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (1e)”