Paper Manipulation

The place to discuss using and abusing the first edition Mutants & Masterminds rules. Rules questions, rules interpretations, house rules, and more rules.
100 Bullets
Bystander
Bystander

Paper Manipulation

Postby 100 Bullets » Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:50 pm

Been wanting to do this power since I saw Read or Die months ago which in my opinion is an aswesome anime. Anyway, the characters can do various things with paper like use it as a weapon, a shield, even animate it to do a slew of things. I asked some people I'm currently in a game with what suggestions they had to build this power and this is what we came up with.

Shape Matter and grab a couple extras from the Create Object listing, specifically Animate Object and Create Attacks. Then add the flaw Limited—One Type (Paper). The total cost would be 3pp/rank. Anyone have some suggestions or refinements?

Calliban
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Calliban » Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:59 pm

RoD is a good Anime. Both OVAs and the Series :)

Well, there is a The Paper in somewhere the forum, but I'll help anyway.

For all the Paper Users, I can say the best way to simulate their powers is

Elemental Control - Paper, at 2pp/level.

Yes, I'm Sure. The paper is just some Special Effect. Be sure your character do not have the "Create Element" Stunt, and all will be like the Anime.

You can get all the special effect (Anita's lethal damage, Maggie's Golens, etc) easly, as Extras, Power Stunts of even Flaws.

I would sugest strongly Variable Effect as an extra, since there are effect you never know you will need :). And a Range flaw (since they can only control paper they touch).
In Memory Of
Stephanie Brown "The Spoiler", "Robin VI".
August 1992* - December 2004+... and WHAT? ALIVE AGAIN IN APRIL 2008? WTF!
"Because You Don't Need to be Super in order to be a Hero."

100 Bullets
Bystander
Bystander

Postby 100 Bullets » Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:14 pm

Didn't think of going that route but I think the cost would get out of hand if this route was taken.

farik
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Location: I'm lost in some distant part of Nebraska, on a ship -- a LIVING ship

Postby farik » Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:18 pm

I disagree with Caliban I think you're right in using shape matter versus EC. EC is really a stripped version of TK.

I'd actually suggest flawing the range to touch which would lower the cost even more.

I wouldn't bother with variable effect since extra effort and a hero point would do the job 90% of the time.
One man's hobo booze is another man's fiiiine sippin' wine.

Oh, and by the way, I don't use drawbacks in my game, just complications.

100 Bullets
Bystander
Bystander

Postby 100 Bullets » Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:27 pm

Cool, I'm liking this positive feedback. Maybe I'll write this up formally.

TRM
Hireling
Hireling

Re: Paper Manipulation

Postby TRM » Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:38 am

100 Bullets wrote:Been wanting to do this power since I saw Read or Die months ago which in my opinion is an aswesome anime. Anyway, the characters can do various things with paper like use it as a weapon, a shield, even animate it to do a slew of things. I asked some people I'm currently in a game with what suggestions they had to build this power and this is what we came up with.

Shape Matter and grab a couple extras from the Create Object listing, specifically Animate Object and Create Attacks. Then add the flaw Limited—One Type (Paper). The total cost would be 3pp/rank. Anyone have some suggestions or refinements?

I'd suggest simply using the Animate option Animate Image redefining "Image" as "Origami" or just "Paper Shape" This allows the animated paper to have a power based on it's form

Calliban
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Calliban » Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:04 am

Well

In the anime, there were at least 5 Paper Users.

Anita was what would fit better in the Shape Matter stuff. Just creating simple objects (the Create Weapon extra would fit her nice).

Maggie was a Golem creator. Animate Paper is what you need for her. And has a powerful TK (the airplane stuff...).

Michelle had an EB (or a weapon).

Yomiko Readman (The Paper), was more like Elemental Control (and since Shape Element is an extra... you know). Just remember she could do everything the 3 systers could, better. EB, Flight, TK, Force Field (the incorporeal stuff), area attacks, mass books revolting, etc, etc etc...

Well, actually there was a 5 paper user, but he was just a brick with strike-like and eb-like effects (and he also is an EC, and could 'steal' paper objects from the girls)...

For me, the power base effect still is some EB (at least, for The Paper, the main character)... but I agree with the Shape version too - just dont think it is apropriate for all the girls :)

Actually, Yomiko remembers me more Green Lanter than anything else :)
In Memory Of

Stephanie Brown "The Spoiler", "Robin VI".

August 1992* - December 2004+... and WHAT? ALIVE AGAIN IN APRIL 2008? WTF!

"Because You Don't Need to be Super in order to be a Hero."

100 Bullets
Bystander
Bystander

Postby 100 Bullets » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:31 am

I just wanted a general use power that could then be shaped depending on how a person envisioned their paper user and extra effort could cover alot of extra abilities as well.

farik
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Location: I'm lost in some distant part of Nebraska, on a ship -- a LIVING ship

Re: Paper Manipulation

Postby farik » Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:08 pm

TRM wrote:
I'd suggest simply using the Animate option Animate Image redefining "Image" as "Origami" or just "Paper Shape" This allows the animated paper to have a power based on it's form

While this would be good for a paper based power I don't think it fits "The Paper" well. In the Read or Die movie she normally does these effects

snare
create a barrier
deflect attacks (apparently she can make paper become as hard as steel while she's touching it)
perform wierd swinging and grabbing manuevers with long chains of paper

the only time I recall her shapes having a property based on that shape was

a) the giant paper airplane which allowed for a less than great gliding power

and

b) a lockpick which may have provided superskill since she could alter it's shape while working the lock.

As far as Caliban's description of her powers I assume that is based on the series since she doesn't demonstarte those powers in the movie.
One man's hobo booze is another man's fiiiine sippin' wine.

Oh, and by the way, I don't use drawbacks in my game, just complications.

Professor Paper
Hireling
Hireling

Postby Professor Paper » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:57 pm

Ah. This is up my alley.

the thing I have noticed from the series, is that Papermasters can only control paper they touch, but there are examples of Papermasters that don't.

For instance, Maggie can control her Paper Familiars without touching them, although VERY LARGE ones she needs to control from the inside (like the massive flying bird).

Also, Yomiko herself has shown she can alter the properties of paper enough for a lasting effect for as long as she wishes. For instance her "Paper Gatling" style attack she used when defeating the guy with the staff in the OVA. She practically unleashed heck.

I would assume Papermasters have enough exertion to allow control over paper at and up to a certain range from them.

Also, don't forget their one weakness. Sub-Sonic or Ultra-Sonic sound. The Paper Sisters were practically shut off from their powers when a scientist using a sound machine practically nullified their powers.
"When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes."
-Desiderius Erasmus

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (1e)”