Penetrating Attack and Ranged Feats

The place to discuss using and abusing the first edition Mutants & Masterminds rules. Rules questions, rules interpretations, house rules, and more rules.
Iron Poet
Zealot
Zealot

Penetrating Attack and Ranged Feats

Postby Iron Poet » Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:24 am

Okay, so I have a player who has a PC that's fully Incorporeal. That's not the big issue.

I don't have a book in front of me, but his primary method of attack is a Mental Blast. Fine, but he bought Penetrating Attack x5. I seem to recall that this violates the maximum effective power rank rule somewhere, but the PC says that since it's a feat, it doesn't matter. Any thoughts?

Also, do ranged feats (such as Far Shot, etc.) work with Mental Blast?
... and then the destruction began.

gnownek
Cohort
Cohort

gnownek

Postby gnownek » Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:40 am

Penetrating attack as per the book is pretty broken. So every GM needs to fix it to make it work. In effect, you decide when it does work and when it doesn't work. You can always rule it only benefits 2pt attack powers....

gnownek
Cohort
Cohort

Another fix

Postby gnownek » Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:43 am

My way of getting round the problem, is allowing characters to spend a hero point to give their defences the Imprevious extra.

Anthony
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Anthony » Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:49 am

Penetrating attack has been continually erratad. The version in the original printing is badly broken. AFAIK the current version isn't stackable at all, and when applied to a mental blast would just turn mental protection into amazing save (will) for damage purposes.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (1e)”