Duplicate, Sidekick, Minion, or Construct

The place to discuss using and abusing the first edition Mutants & Masterminds rules. Rules questions, rules interpretations, house rules, and more rules.
jueqel
Bystander
Bystander

Duplicate, Sidekick, Minion, or Construct

Postby jueqel » Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:48 pm

I'm trying to build a character, Magi, with a cane that contains a piece of the character's essence. The cane has the power to transform into real animals and reflect powers directed at it and is as intelligent as the Magi -18-. It also acts as a melee weapon when wielded by the character. It may act independent of the Magi when not being directed by the Magi. If the Magi were to fall unconscious the cane would become protective and defend the Magi.

I thought about a construct, but it has been hard to pin this one down. A sidekick is considered an NPC, and a minion seems too distant from the character. Duplication feels a little closer because the concept of split essence, but I think the 2 characters are too different to be considered duplicates.

Any suggestions?

farik
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Location: I'm lost in some distant part of Nebraska, on a ship -- a LIVING ship

Postby farik » Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:57 pm

I'd go the construct route but be sure to give the cane plenty of hardness (it would suck if it got broken while being swung asa weapon). This is definately a GM fiat situation though.
One man's hobo booze is another man's fiiiine sippin' wine.

Oh, and by the way, I don't use drawbacks in my game, just complications.

Dr. Nuncheon
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Dr. Nuncheon » Sun Jul 18, 2004 3:38 pm

I'd note that Sidekicks, while NPCs, are considered perfectly loyal - check out the Reverse Sidekicks sidebar on p43. So a sidekick would be one strong possibility for doing this.

Another option would be Animate Object with the Duration extra - possibly also with Trigger so that the cane could activate by itself when the owner is knocked out. Ask your GM if an animated device could activate any abilities inherent in the device - if so that's all you need, if not then you'll also need the Grant Powers extra.

J

hobgoblin
Groupie
Groupie

Postby hobgoblin » Sun Jul 18, 2004 4:49 pm

contruct sidekick with shapeshift ability maybe?

and maybe take a weapon power with a limit "only when holding staff".

mostly its up to your GM if he can hand you more control over what the sidekick does...

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (1e)”