Hero Points vs. Flaws?

The place to discuss using and abusing the first edition Mutants & Masterminds rules. Rules questions, rules interpretations, house rules, and more rules.
Iron Poet
Zealot
Zealot

Hero Points vs. Flaws?

Postby Iron Poet » Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:01 am

Quick question... what's your take on allowing Hero Points to overcome a flaw built into a power?

I'm thinking one of 3 things:

1) No way. Flaws are intrinsic to the power and character, and would be akin to changing the PC's identity to avoid being punished by authorities.

2) Limited use, if it makes for a good story and still fits within the concept of the character.

3) Sure. That's what HPs are for!
... and then the destruction began.

tesuji
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby tesuji » Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:20 am

I would not have a problem letting someone use extra effort to overcome a power's flaw IF t made sense in the character context, much the same way i would allow them to call up an extra per the normal rules.

If it was a flaw that was integral to the character, it probably would not be allowed, but other cases, likely.
My Stupid Rule: If I would feel stupid describing a rule to my players, I will not use that rule.

AaronUnicorn
Henchman
Henchman

Postby AaronUnicorn » Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:29 am

It's hard to make a blanket judgement on that. It really depends on the power, the flaw, and the circumstance involved.

For example: No Hero Point should ever be able to let you overcome the limitation of the Device Flaw. Maybe you can use the Hero Point to use Inspired Editing to find a way to get back your device/get a replacement, etc. (depending on the device. Your Weapon +7 M-16? Sure. Your Unique Magic Beanie of Doom +14? Maybe not).

Example #2: Insubtanitality +10 (Flaw: Permanent) - mutant whose insubstanitality eventually went out of control. By concentrating hard, and pushing herself, the character manages to become solid again long enough to push the self-destruct button on Dr. Death's Doomsday Device.

Iron Poet
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Iron Poet » Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:04 am

Yeah, remember the ruling about devices. But thanks for your input ya'll! I appreciate it! :)
... and then the destruction began.

Dr. Nuncheon
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Dr. Nuncheon » Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:20 am

AaronUnicorn wrote:Example #2: Insubtanitality +10 (Flaw: Permanent) - mutant whose insubstanitality eventually went out of control. By concentrating hard, and pushing herself, the character manages to become solid again long enough to push the self-destruct button on Dr. Death's Doomsday Device.

...of course, that could be Extra Effort to get the Ghost Touch extra. ;)

It's a little harder to imagine, say, Behemoth using Extra Effort to get rid fo the Permanent flaw on his Growth, or Sister Blister removing the 'Limited-fire only' from her Protection.

In general, I wouldn't allow it - for most of the times where it makes sense, there's another way to handle it and still get the same effect.

J

farik
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Location: I'm lost in some distant part of Nebraska, on a ship -- a LIVING ship

Postby farik » Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:00 am

AaronUnicorn wrote:For example: No Hero Point should ever be able to let you overcome the limitation of the Device Flaw. Maybe you can use the Hero Point to use Inspired Editing to find a way to get back your device/get a replacement, etc. (depending on the device. Your Weapon +7 M-16? Sure. Your Unique Magic Beanie of Doom +14? Maybe not).

Just to be a devils advocate
If a character regularly uses a super serum to give themselves a power (like super str) and thier utility belt (which contains the miracle serum) is taken from them. At the peak of stress when nothing else will save the day I'd let a Hero Point represent adrenaline activating the trace remnants of the serum in your blood stream granting the serum's power for the duration of the scene (overcoming the device flaw). It's an extreme example where concept and plot converge but I dislike blanket statements.
One man's hobo booze is another man's fiiiine sippin' wine.

Oh, and by the way, I don't use drawbacks in my game, just complications.

AaronUnicorn
Henchman
Henchman

Postby AaronUnicorn » Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:12 am

farik wrote:
AaronUnicorn wrote:For example: No Hero Point should ever be able to let you overcome the limitation of the Device Flaw. Maybe you can use the Hero Point to use Inspired Editing to find a way to get back your device/get a replacement, etc. (depending on the device. Your Weapon +7 M-16? Sure. Your Unique Magic Beanie of Doom +14? Maybe not).

Just to be a devils advocate
If a character regularly uses a super serum to give themselves a power (like super str) and thier utility belt (which contains the miracle serum) is taken from them. At the peak of stress when nothing else will save the day I'd let a Hero Point represent adrenaline activating the trace remnants of the serum in your blood stream granting the serum's power for the duration of the scene (overcoming the device flaw). It's an extreme example where concept and plot converge but I dislike blanket statements.

Actually, I dislike blanket statements as well. So, I apologize, especially since my argument started with "It's hard to make a blanket judgement on that. It really depends on the power, the flaw, and the circumstance involved." :)

I was trying to illustrate a point where I would allow a Hero Point to remove a flaw, and another where I wouldn't, and in doing so, made a blanket statement of my own. My bad.

farik
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Location: I'm lost in some distant part of Nebraska, on a ship -- a LIVING ship

Postby farik » Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:37 am

I was going to say "All is forgiven fellow Comrade" and then I noticed I had been transformed into a heavywieght at some point without noticing.
One man's hobo booze is another man's fiiiine sippin' wine.

Oh, and by the way, I don't use drawbacks in my game, just complications.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (1e)”