toughness + durability + regen + fast healing: unbalancing?

The place to discuss using and abusing the first edition Mutants & Masterminds rules. Rules questions, rules interpretations, house rules, and more rules.
Vortex
Hireling
Hireling

toughness + durability + regen + fast healing: unbalancing?

Postby Vortex » Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:59 pm

Greetings.

Which of the combinations of Toughness, Durability, Regeneration and Fast Healing would you allow? Are there some unbalancing, or at least questionable combinations?

If I forgot some feat or power that also could be unbalancing in addition to those four, please mention it.

Thanks for any advice.

V.

Dannyalcatraz
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Dannyalcatraz » Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:36 pm

Armor, Protection, & Immunity to Critical hits all spring to mind...

But I belong to the school of thought that no problem is insurmountable. If a player spends a lot of points on defense, he won't be succeeding at nigh-impossible tasks on a D20 roll of "3", or wiping out your BBEG with one swing of his fist or blast of his "Nuke-o-vision."

In other words, I'd allow any combo as long as its within the point limits of the campaign.

TerraFan
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Re: toughness + durability + regen + fast healing: unbalanci

Postby TerraFan » Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:30 am

Vortex wrote:Greetings.

Which of the combinations of Toughness, Durability, Regeneration and Fast Healing would you allow? Are there some unbalancing, or at least questionable combinations?

Well, durability combined with regeneration isn't a wise combo at all so I wouldn't have a problem with that.

Toughness by itself isn't too diffucult, as it's only a +2 bonus.

I will say that a maxed out con, maxed amazing save, toughness and level 10 regeneration is rough to get around as far as straight combat goes. Natch, there are other ways to get around a character like that, but it's been my experience that if you want to "challenge" a character like that in combat, the challenge will likely be too tough for the others in the group. If you make the encounters more reasonable for the others, then Mr Regen will be completely dominating.

Now mind you I'm talking about straight run of the mill brawls, other forms of combat will differ completely.

Darren
http://www.heroesandhenchmen.com
An M&M Resource Site

farik
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Location: I'm lost in some distant part of Nebraska, on a ship -- a LIVING ship

Re: toughness + durability + regen + fast healing: unbalanci

Postby farik » Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:29 am

Vortex wrote:Greetings.

If I forgot some feat or power that also could be unbalancing in addition to those four, please mention it.

Thanks for any advice.

V.

As is that character is a perfect candidate for being snared and mind controlled. Now if they are hard to hit and strong willed as well then odds are they can't hit, can't damage, or can't can't do either. If they can't get hurt and can dish out the damage then I'd say "I'm sorry this character isn't appropriate for my game."
One man's hobo booze is another man's fiiiine sippin' wine.

Oh, and by the way, I don't use drawbacks in my game, just complications.

Valiantheart
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Valiantheart » Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:43 am

I have an original with protection +10, 20 CON, toughness, immunity to crits and regeneration. Your insane if you try to take him out with another tough.....just isnt going to happen.

Boy you should have seen my teams expressions when i was mind controlled by a villain though ^_^

Good thing there are Hero Points or I might have taken more than one out.

Also, in order to purchase so many defensive abilities my Hero has 2 weakness so there is still 2 areas he is no more protected from than a normal person. Weaknesses are there for the GM to exploit and they should.
"Asobi wa, owari da!!"

hobgoblin
Groupie
Groupie

Postby hobgoblin » Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:55 am

why am i visualizeing a hulk vs thor or hulk vs doc samson here?

oh and btw its rapid healing not fast healing for all you people wanting to look the diffrent parts up :)

Dannyalcatraz
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Dannyalcatraz » Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:52 pm

Ah, yes...the mind controlled invulnerable PC is a bitch for the party to fight!

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (1e)”