What type of energy is Force Field?

The place to discuss using and abusing the first edition Mutants & Masterminds rules. Rules questions, rules interpretations, house rules, and more rules.
Nightfyre
Bystander
Bystander

What type of energy is Force Field?

Postby Nightfyre » Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:07 pm

For the purpose of Incorp., what would you consider the energy type for Force Field? We thought of it as Kinetic at one point but the Force Field but then thought it didn't fit. We thought of it as it's own energy type, that it shapes the forcefield into an attack that hits the target. Just not as Kinetic force doing it.

Cardiac
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Cardiac » Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:12 pm

Why didn't you think Kinetic fits? That seems to be the most reasonable explanation to me - in that the FF provides protection via a physical force....

Then again, Magneto has Magnetic shieldsl, and you could probably gome up with Graviton shields and so forth. So I gues it all depends on what you want to deflect.

Kwikdraw
Compatriot
Compatriot

Postby Kwikdraw » Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:23 pm

It all depends on the special effect of the particular character's Force Field, really. For Magneto, it'd be magnetic fields, for Sue Storm it could be kinetics. Green Lantern would probably be hard light. Just my two cents, anyway.

The Trapster
Luminary
Luminary

Postby The Trapster » Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:28 pm

Its comic book. Anything can make a force field. Sand, fire, magnetism, wood, quantum flux, water, poopie, flesh, toys, anything.

Haven't you read any comic books? 8)
A man without religion is like a fish without a bicycle.

d4
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby d4 » Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:39 am

remind me to never go anywhere near your Poopie Field. :shock:

farik
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Location: I'm lost in some distant part of Nebraska, on a ship -- a LIVING ship

Postby farik » Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:59 am

I missed one of the commas and was scared of the "flesh toy force field" for a few seconds there.
One man's hobo booze is another man's fiiiine sippin' wine.

Oh, and by the way, I don't use drawbacks in my game, just complications.

Iron Poet
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Iron Poet » Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:07 am

farik wrote:I missed one of the commas and was scared of the "flesh toy force field" for a few seconds there.

:shock:

Moreso than the Poopie Field!
... and then the destruction began.

farik
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Location: I'm lost in some distant part of Nebraska, on a ship -- a LIVING ship

Postby farik » Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:14 am

Iron Poet wrote:
farik wrote:I missed one of the commas and was scared of the "flesh toy force field" for a few seconds there.

:shock:

Moreso than the Poopie Field!

Heck yeah, the poopie field may make you dirty but the flesh toy field would make you dirty
One man's hobo booze is another man's fiiiine sippin' wine.

Oh, and by the way, I don't use drawbacks in my game, just complications.

PsychoBlonde
Henchman
Henchman

Postby PsychoBlonde » Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:40 pm

I'm a little curious as to why the energy type of Force Field matters for incorporeal . . . force fields work against incorporeal creatures anyway (as per the errata, I think). If you have Energy Field as part of your Force Field (to do damage) I think you need to specify the damage type under the Energy Field. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.
O it is Excellent to have a Giant's strength, but it is tyrannous to use it like a Giant.
My Blog

Brass Jester
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Brass Jester » Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:46 pm

My son's hero Blackshark has a Force Field defined as a dense shoal of fish that gets in the way of attacks. It is defined as Limited- in water only, however it might be an interesting thought to remove the limitation (he's in the middle of Battery Park being shielded by a huge glowing turbot)
On the Turn Of A Friendly Card

Nightfyre
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Nightfyre » Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:39 pm

PsychoBlonde wrote:I'm a little curious as to why the energy type of Force Field matters for incorporeal . . . force fields work against incorporeal creatures anyway (as per the errata, I think). If you have Energy Field as part of your Force Field (to do damage) I think you need to specify the damage type under the Energy Field. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

You saying you need to specify what type of energy forcefield is? Since you need to specify what type of energy blast works against Incorprial in his case Kinetics otherwise anything else is ignored. Unless ghost touch ability I think it is.

PsychoBlonde
Henchman
Henchman

Postby PsychoBlonde » Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:53 am

No, no, no. Okay: FORCE FIELD is ALREADY GHOST TOUCH, AS PER THE ERRATA. It works on incorporeal already . . . i.e. the protection granted by the force field applies against the attacks of incorporeal creatures, plus they can't walk through it.

ENERGY FIELD (Which is a DIFFERENT POWER that does DAMAGE as an ENERGY TYPE) is NOT ALREADY GHOST TOUCH. HENCE if you have ENERGY FIELD as an EXTRA under FORCE FIELD, you need to SPECIFY the ENERGY TYPE of the ENERGY FIELD to see whether it applies against a specific incorporeal attacker or not. The FORCE FIELD applies REGARDLESS of the energy type of the ENERGY FIELD.

Hope that clears it up. Sorry if I was not clear.
O it is Excellent to have a Giant's strength, but it is tyrannous to use it like a Giant.

My Blog

hobgoblin
Groupie
Groupie

Postby hobgoblin » Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:37 pm

personaly i think it just muddied the water even more but thats just me...

grahf
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby grahf » Sun Jul 18, 2004 3:35 pm

Think of it this way. Typically, two types of regular attacks/defenses can interact with Incorporeal characters.

1. anything with the Ghost Touch extra
2. a specific material/energy specific to each character (silver, radiation, darkness, etc...)

Force Field has the Ghost Touch property, so it always protects against Incorporeal characters regardless of its FX. However, an Energy Blast taken as an extra of Force Field isn't Ghost Touch by default, so it would need proper FX to affect an Incorporeal character.

For example, say Blackshark has his fish force field and the energy blast extra (FXed as launching a swordfish at an enemy). Generic Badguy X has Incorporeal (except against lead) and the Phase Attack extra.

Blackshark's Force Field will add to his save against GBX's Phase Attack, but his fishy Energy Blast won't be able to affect GBX. On the other hand, he would be able to attack Generic Badguy Y who had Incorporeal (except against fish*). Gunner (from the Annual #1 preview in Gimmick's Gadgets) however could hit GBX by creating lead bullets with his Energy Blast. Same power, different FX.

Basically, force fields are always effective against incorporeal characters, but any extras need the right FX or the Ghost Touch extra.

*that's a WTF :wink:

PsychoBlonde
Henchman
Henchman

Postby PsychoBlonde » Sun Jul 18, 2004 5:32 pm

:oops:

Thank you, grahf.

::cannot explain anything::

::pouts::

My Blog

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (1e)”