Transmutation

The place to discuss using and abusing the first edition Mutants & Masterminds rules. Rules questions, rules interpretations, house rules, and more rules.
mcginitys
Groupie
Groupie

Transmutation

Postby mcginitys » Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:06 pm

What if any are the limitations to Transmutation? Are people using "damage saves" for objects, using the hardness as the bonus? And if so, would you allow a character to transmute part of a wall that was too high to affect (using the description of increasing the hardness by +1 for every additional inch of material)? Curious what other GMs are doing with this.
www.guildcompanion.com
www.Symka2.blogspot.com
Home of the SYMKA comic, written and conceived by Sean McGinity

mgg
Superhero
Superhero

Postby mgg » Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:12 pm

I don't have the book with me so I don't know the answer with regards to any limits on hardness.

The save is a reflex save for held objects. You cannot transmute a part of an object unless the part is a whole object in itself (You can transform a tire of a car, but not a 3' by 3' square in the side of the car)

mcginitys
Groupie
Groupie

Postby mcginitys » Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:25 pm

I realize you can't transmute organic tissues (i.e. people, and that's Transformation anyway), but about someone with Power Level 15 armor? Or what about a 5 foot thick wall of concrete? Can it be done in stages and do you allow some sort of save for the material, or just a DC level for the power to affect it?
www.guildcompanion.com

www.Symka2.blogspot.com

Belmonte
Cohort
Cohort

Postby Belmonte » Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:51 pm

If an object is 'attended/held', then the person holding/wearing it gets a reflex save. So the armor-wearer gets a save. If he fails, the person transmuting makes a power check vs the armor DC (15), and if he succeeds, the armor is transmuted fine.

If it's not, then you have to transmute all at once. I'd allow some sort of extra to allow you to transmute part of an object. Or via EE. Like Incorporeal's Selective--Partially Incorporeal. Something like that. Selective--Partial Transmutations.

My 2c...
"Even the sun goes down, lady..."

mgg
Superhero
Superhero

Postby mgg » Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:16 pm

What Belmonte said (I am now able to read my book), although you can transform cohesive parts. For example you could transform a helmet if it were removable, or gloves or boots. You can't partially transform something. If your roll fails it isn't partially done. Also you can't transform something bigger than the area of your power.

P.S. Who said anything about transmuting living things?

mcginitys
Groupie
Groupie

Postby mcginitys » Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:31 am

mgg wrote:What Belmonte said (I am now able to read my book), although you can transform cohesive parts. For example you could transform a helmet if it were removable, or gloves or boots. You can't partially transform something. If your roll fails it isn't partially done. Also you can't transform something bigger than the area of your power.

P.S. Who said anything about transmuting living things?

I have my book in fron of me and it's very clear. Sheesh, I must be more tired than I thought. In addition I also thought I read something about organics there.

I read the part that you cannot do a portion of an object as well, it's all or nothing. My question is totally moot. Sorry guys!
www.guildcompanion.com

www.Symka2.blogspot.com

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (1e)”