Animating Mirror Images

The place to discuss using and abusing the first edition Mutants & Masterminds rules. Rules questions, rules interpretations, house rules, and more rules.
adamsmith
Bystander
Bystander

Animating Mirror Images

Postby adamsmith » Sun Jul 11, 2004 3:52 pm

I'm statting out a new villain for our game, and I want her to have the power to animate mirror images of the player characters. I've read the animat rules, but I'm not sure how to do it.

Could someone suggest how it could be done?

Dr. Nuncheon
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Dr. Nuncheon » Sun Jul 11, 2004 4:30 pm

The option you want is 'Animate Images', which is an Extra under Animation. If you want your creations to be able to mimic powers as well, you'll want the 'Grant Powers' extra.

Here's how I'd build it:

Animate Mirror Images
Base Power: Animate Images (2 pp/lvl) (note that if you animate images instead of physical objects, the cost of the power is not increased)
Flaw: Limited - reflections only (-1 pp/lvl)
Extra: Grant Powers (X pp/lvl)

Your mirror images will have the same base that is, non-Super) stats as the people they are images of.

Example: Mirror Master (with Animate Reflection +5) reflects Fastman in his mystical mirror, creating a duplicate of the speedy super. The mirror-Fastman has the same Strength, Dex, Con, Wis, Int, and Cha as Fastman, but Mirror Master forgot to buy Grant Power as an extra, so the mirror-Fastman doesn't get any of the original's ranks of Super-Speed. If any of Fastman's bonuses were above 5, the duplicate would only get +10 to that stat.

With the Grant Powers extra, you can give your images powers whose cost per power level is 1+X.

Example: Mirror Master, still smarting from his recent defeat, sets up Fastman again. This time, though, he's remembered to buy Grant Power. In fact, he's put 5 extras into it, making his power cost 6 pp/level. That lets him give his creation 5 ranks of Super-Speed (remember, he's got Animate Reflection +5). Too bad Fastman has 10 ranks...

If Mirror Master met up with The Immolator, he could give his mirror duplicate Immolator's Energy Blast, Flight, and Energy Field powers (2 pp each, totalling +6). (If the Immolator had bought them all in a single power, of course, then Mirror Master could just give that power to his animated image.)

adamsmith
Bystander
Bystander

Postby adamsmith » Sun Jul 11, 2004 4:55 pm

Many thanks, the examples were particularly helpful.

Circeus
Hireling
Hireling

Postby Circeus » Sun Jul 11, 2004 5:00 pm

I'd suggest to add "Limited- Can only grant powers reflected character has."

adamsmith
Bystander
Bystander

Postby adamsmith » Sun Jul 11, 2004 5:16 pm

Yeah - and I'll throw in the flaw: disappears if mirror is broken.

Dr. Nuncheon
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Dr. Nuncheon » Sun Jul 11, 2004 7:26 pm

Circeus wrote:I'd suggest to add "Limited- Can only grant powers reflected character has."

I think that's implied under Animate Images - it says you may "grant appropriate powers" - but YMMV.

J

farik
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Location: I'm lost in some distant part of Nebraska, on a ship -- a LIVING ship

Postby farik » Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:19 pm

Another option is to extend the range of duplication from personal to normal and then restrict the power to "requires mirror image to activate." In the past we've discussed whether or not this would require some kind of a mind control extra.
One man's hobo booze is another man's fiiiine sippin' wine.

Oh, and by the way, I don't use drawbacks in my game, just complications.

The Trapster
Luminary
Luminary

Re: Animating Mirror Images

Postby The Trapster » Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:50 am

adamsmith wrote:I'm statting out a new villain for our game, and I want her to have the power to animate mirror images of the player characters. I've read the animat rules, but I'm not sure how to do it.

Could someone suggest how it could be done?
Don't pay points. Just stat out the hero image/duplicates as characters. It is a plot point.[/i]
A man without religion is like a fish without a bicycle.

gnownek
Cohort
Cohort

Postby gnownek » Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:52 pm

Duplication - (flaw-only in the presence of mirrors, extra-ranged (duplicates can appear at range))

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (1e)”