Heat Seeker Missles

The place to discuss using and abusing the first edition Mutants & Masterminds rules. Rules questions, rules interpretations, house rules, and more rules.
Demongg
Luminary
Luminary

Heat Seeker Missles

Postby Demongg » Sat Jul 10, 2004 11:41 pm

Hey...

I asked this question for Steve in the official questions but thought it would be fun to see what everyone else could think of to translate...

How would you make stats for "heat seeking" missles... or missles programed to fire, attack target, then if they miss circle round to attack again until they hit and blow up?

thanks
-kev-

nighthunter
Hero
Hero

Postby nighthunter » Sun Jul 11, 2004 12:35 am

Here's my take, and this is just what popped into my head.

Seeker Missiles +10 (Animation Extras: Energy Blast (Kinetic), Flight; Flaws: Destroyed on successful attack, Limited-Only This Energy Blast; Cost: 2pp)

How I spent the animation ranks:
Small Str:-1 Dex:+0 Con:- Int:- Wis:-5 Cha:-5
Attack Bonus: +10 Total Bonus +10 (-1 Strength +1 Size).

Seeker Missile Stat Block: Initiative: +0, Defense 11, Speed 30 feet (flight); Atk +10 Melee (+10 kinetic blast). Saves: DMG:+0 Fort:-, Ref:+0, Will:-; Str:9 Dex:10 Con:- Int:- Wis:1 Cha:1

As an additional flaw to the power you could have Quirk (Must attack highest heat source), for a heat seeker. The seeker missile above is just a generic missile that will keep attacking a target until successful or dies.
"What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything!" -H.P. Lovecraft

farik
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Location: I'm lost in some distant part of Nebraska, on a ship -- a LIVING ship

Postby farik » Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:46 pm

I might go with Create Object and then animation as listed above if missiles are my main schtick but I think most of the time I'd just SFX a high Attack bonus. Although I have built a projectile weapon as sidekick with powers allowing it to ram/move by attack and survive. Slap duplication on it and you have a regenerating missile. But like I said normally I'd SFX it.
One man's hobo booze is another man's fiiiine sippin' wine.

Oh, and by the way, I don't use drawbacks in my game, just complications.

Valiantheart
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Valiantheart » Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:30 pm

Create an extra called HOMING or something similar. For each 5 (or 10) ranks in the extra the attack gets a follow up attack on the target on the following round. Each subsequent attack is at -2 Attack Bonus.

I wouldnt make the missile an object unless you want him to be able to make them and set them aside. If its an attack the "Missile" is just the fluffy text description of the effect itself.
"Asobi wa, owari da!!"

DLKTrazer
Groupie
Groupie

Postby DLKTrazer » Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:45 pm

Valiantheart wrote:Create an extra called HOMING or something similar. For each 5 (or 10) ranks in the extra the attack gets a follow up attack on the target on the following round. Each subsequent attack is at -2 Attack Bonus.

I wouldnt make the missile an object unless you want him to be able to make them and set them aside. If its an attack the "Missile" is just the fluffy text description of the effect itself.

Actually, I'd base this on Autofire. Something like:

Homing: If an attack with this extra misses on it's first attack roll, the attack can continue to make attack rolls for the next two rounds, using the attacker's attack bonus and a -6 penalty to the attack roll. This does not require any action from the character who initiated the attack. Once the attack hits, it receives no subsequent attempts, regardless of whether or not it was able to affect the target.

Power-Stunt:Seeker An attack with this stunt is specialized in seeking out a target displaying specific properties, such as heat, light or mutants genes. Against these targets, the attacker receives a +4 bonus to his attack roll. Note that a large presence of the specified target, such as a burning house for a heat-seeker, may cause the attack to miss; a clever defender may even be able to turn it back on the attacker. GM's should use the Concealment rules.

tesuji
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby tesuji » Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:06 am

Heat seeker missile: two options

1. Flaw: cannot target non-heat sourced. Requires substantial heat source in order to make attack.

2. Buy additional BAB for the missile with the flaw listed above. (for a missile which can be dead-head fired but which can home in on heated targets.)

Also, for guided ordinance, i tend to buy off the range penalties, as it adjusts in flight so range is not as big an issue as with ballistics.

But, for the miss and come back, i would simply buy the duration up to sustained or continuous and note that the follow up attacks only lasts until a hit is scored.

All these of courseapply to your EB or whatever attack power you have as your missile.
My Stupid Rule: If I would feel stupid describing a rule to my players, I will not use that rule.

farik
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Postby farik » Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:52 am

DLKTrazer wrote:Actually, I'd base this on Autofire. Something like:

Homing: If an attack with this extra misses on it's first attack roll, the attack can continue to make attack rolls for the next two rounds, using the attacker's attack bonus and a -6 penalty to the attack roll. This does not require any action from the character who initiated the attack. Once the attack hits, it receives no subsequent attempts, regardless of whether or not it was able to affect the target.

Power-Stunt:Seeker An attack with this stunt is specialized in seeking out a target displaying specific properties, such as heat, light or mutants genes. Against these targets, the attacker receives a +4 bonus to his attack roll. Note that a large presence of the specified target, such as a burning house for a heat-seeker, may cause the attack to miss; a clever defender may even be able to turn it back on the attacker. GM's should use the Concealment rules.

I like these alot but I think they should both be Powerstunts. After all Homing is just like the multifire(?) feat but you can only shoot at one target, the attacks are spread out over 3 rounds and only the first attack that hits counts.

DLKTrazer
Groupie
Groupie

Postby DLKTrazer » Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:28 am

farik wrote:
DLKTrazer wrote:Actually, I'd base this on Autofire. Something like:

Power-Stunt:Seeker An attack with this stunt is specialized in seeking out a target displaying specific properties, such as heat, light or mutant genes. Against these targets, the attacker receives a +4 bonus to his attack roll. Note that a large presence of the specified target, such as a burning house for a heat-seeker, may cause the attack to miss; a clever defender may even be able to turn it back on the attacker. GM's should use the Concealment rules.

I like these alot but I think they should both be Powerstunts. After all Homing is just like the multifire(?) feat but you can only shoot at one target, the attacks are spread out over 3 rounds and only the first attack that hits counts.

I think a stunt is a little too cheap for Homing. Since the second and third attacks don't require an action from the character, he can keep shooting, with a swarm of attacks coming after the target. It's a little weaker than Autofire, due to the attacks being spread over three rounds, but it has two benefits: 1) the -6 Attack penalty only applies to the second and third attacks, & 2) Unlike Autofire, it doesn't make the attack a full-round action. If you want it as a stunt, I'd do it as:

Energy Blast +10
Stunt: Homing Missle (E: Homing, F: Restricted - Missle Lock (Requires full action to attack)

If you still think Homing is too weak, you can reduce the attack penalties to -4.

farik
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Postby farik » Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:37 am

DLKTrazer wrote:
I think a stunt is a little too cheap for Homing. Since the second and third attacks don't require an action from the character, he can keep shooting, with a swarm of attacks coming after the target. It's a little weaker than Autofire, due to the attacks being spread over three rounds, but it has two benefits: 1) the -6 Attack penalty only applies to the second and third attacks, & 2) Unlike Autofire, it doesn't make the attack a full-round action. If you want it as a stunt, I'd do it as:

Energy Blast +10
Stunt: Homing Missle (E: Homing, F: Restricted - Missle Lock (Requires full action to attack)

If you still think Homing is too weak, you can reduce the attack penalties to -4.

I guess I misread since I thought the -6 was on all three attacks and I keep forgetting that autofire is a full round action.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (1e)”