More Vampires, Guns and Rules Q'S

The place to discuss using and abusing the first edition Mutants & Masterminds rules. Rules questions, rules interpretations, house rules, and more rules.
Aboth
Bystander
Bystander

More Vampires, Guns and Rules Q'S

Postby Aboth » Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:00 am

Hello, the suggestion concerning using resseruction or regeneration to allow a vamp (nocturnals) to come back from the dead still means that its hard for a vampire to come back from the dead if its suffered a lot of normal damage or just has a normal level of regen (DC is 30!). What if I only wanted a couple of specific ways of vampires dying (for use as PC's vampires as well) such as in Nocturnals as silver, stake through the heart and Sunlight? What would this cost (is it an immunity edge worth 2pts?)-ps I dont mean only damaged by these things, damaged by everything killed by these.

Second question is about the firearm question again, it still does not seem like firearms are lethal enough. Would double damage be to much-one sugesstion? I think it would but I am not sure what to do here to make them more of a threat? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

And finally about healing in the M&M's healing rules seem to be far to quick and do not bring home the seriouness of major injuires or many minor ones adding up to a major injury. Any suggestions on making the healing a little more realistic? what about saying lethal hits are healed xpts a day and disabled is healed at one roll every 5 days?

Cheers and thanks for helping a newbie

Dungeon Keeper
Bystander
Bystander

Re: More Vampires, Guns and Rules Q'S

Postby Dungeon Keeper » Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:12 am

Aboth wrote:Hello, the suggestion concerning using resseruction or regeneration to allow a vamp (nocturnals) to come back from the dead still means that its hard for a vampire to come back from the dead if its suffered a lot of normal damage or just has a normal level of regen (DC is 30!). What if I only wanted a couple of specific ways of vampires dying (for use as PC's vampires as well) such as in Nocturnals as silver, stake through the heart and Sunlight? What would this cost (is it an immunity edge worth 2pts?)-ps I dont mean only damaged by these things, damaged by everything killed by these.

Even though mancerbear was asking about the the Eternals, I think his question and Steve's answer could apply to vampires as well:

http://www.mutantsandmasterminds.com/ph ... hp?p=55976

hobgoblin
Groupie
Groupie

Postby hobgoblin » Sun Jul 11, 2004 5:48 am

so unless ones weakness is in play one can unfailingly reincarnate...

heh, i was pondering the creation of a vampire outside of nocturnals (pl 10 not pl 6, alltho the ones in nocturnals nails many of the options). what i was missing tho was a linking of drain (specificly constitution drain) to some of the other powers. i guess it could make a speical version of uses so that for every use of one of the other powers a use pool goes down by one and when one drains successfully one adds to the pool. trow in some effects of hunger and/or berserk when you hit the last points in the pool and your off :)

(hmm, i think i will actualy use this!)

Dr. Verrueckt
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Dr. Verrueckt » Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:11 am

I've been thinking a lot about this also because vampires are my favorite undead and I plan on having quite a few in my Nocturnals game.

:idea: One option I considered is that only the very powerful vampires (say PL8) have reincarnate. This way the players can trash low level vampires but the vampire bosses can still be ubertough. I also thought that the Where's the Body feat from Powers Corrupted (M&M superlink) could simulate the difficulty of permanently kill off a vampires. By making reincarnate an optional power, the PCs can decide whether or not they want to spend the pp on a power that may not work well at lower power rank.

I've also been working on converting the vampire clans from Vampire. Maybe I'll post some templates in the Nocturnals forum.

Also, I'm not happy with vampires having a vulnerability to silver. I prefer to reserve that for werewolves. I'm changing vulnerability (silver) to (fire). By limiting Reincarnate to higher PL vampires (at least NPCs), the low PL vampire grunts can still be killed by gunfire so I don't think it will ruin the spaghetti western feel.

Just my 6 pense.

Rob

Valiantheart
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Valiantheart » Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:42 pm

This is how i did Buffy Vamps:

1. Vampires take stun damage from all attacks except:
a) Slashing weapons of size medium or larger
b) Pointed wooden thrusting weapons
c) Holy Water
d) Sun light
e) Fire

2. Vampires can be knocked unconscious but not disabled

3. A Vampire that fails his damage save against the lethal attacks mentioned above by 15 or more, or that is subjected to a coup de grace from them is destroyed.
"Asobi wa, owari da!!"

Death Octopus
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Death Octopus » Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:06 pm

Rather than waste the points on Reincarnate, just spend a Villain Point to have the Vampire not die.

Plus, the creature is mystical. So what if the characters put a stake in his heart, stuff holy wafers in his mouth, garlic in his ears, cut his head off and bury him face down? Some Sorcerer/Occultist type wanders by and restores him, and you have a Vampire, again.

Dracula was killed many, many times in Marvel comics, but he never let that keep him down.

Spend the Villain Point to have the bad guy live. Don't waste points on a flawed power like Reincarnate.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (1e)”