Deconstructing Dr. Metropolis

The place to discuss using and abusing the first edition Mutants & Masterminds rules. Rules questions, rules interpretations, house rules, and more rules.
AaronUnicorn
Henchman
Henchman

Deconstructing Dr. Metropolis

Postby AaronUnicorn » Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:42 am

Well, not literally, but close.

So, in my campaign, Columbus (the seat of my campaign) was the site of Omega's return at the close of Time of Crisis. As a result, the same type of interdimensional residue caused a new City Elemental to be "born" in Columbus.

This new elemental is going to probably become my ongoing PC (if I ever allow other people to run adventures in the campaign, a practice common in our group). I began designing him based off Dr. Metropolis, although with not quite all of the same powers, or at the same ranks.

So my question is, what does the base power of Element Control: Cities do? (And as a side note, shouldn't Dr. Metropolis have the Continuous Extra on his Transmutation, so that his repairs to the city don't all vanish every time he gets knocked unconscious?)

naganuuch
Bystander
Bystander

Postby naganuuch » Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:25 am

To get the indesputable answers to those questions, you'd have to ask the big man himself (Steve).

But, for what it's worth, I would assume that the Element control power in question is most likely Earth, and yes, Dr. Metropolis probably should have the continuous extra on Transmutation.

Strict31
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom
Location: a huge, ever-growing, pulsating brain that rules from the centre of the ultraworld

Postby Strict31 » Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:15 pm

That might explain why I always get a weird feeling everytime I'm in Columbus...

As for Doc metro, I have a hard time wrapping my head around the capabilities of his power. But he seems like he owes a lot to Jack Hawksmoor. So maybe Stormwatch and Authority would be good places to look for ideas and answers.

BTW, exactly where in Columbus was your elemental "born"? Myself, I was born at St. Ann's Hospital for Women. I'm certain there was an elemental nexus at work...

Strictly Speaking

AaronUnicorn
Henchman
Henchman

Postby AaronUnicorn » Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:22 pm

My City Elemental was "born" at Batelle Park, near COSI, since that's where Omega tried to detonate the final cosmic bomb of Time of Crisis.

The reason I created him was I wanted to run the excellent Seeds of Destruction game that Steve Kenson ran at Origins for my group, and didn't want to transplant Doc Metropolis to Columbus. So, since he was born from the last Terminus invasion, and we just had a mini-Terminus invasion, I decided to create an elemental here. One of my players called him "Kid Columbus" and the name stuck.

As for your own experience with dimensional nexuses being in Columbus, well, I can't speak for that. But my daughter is going to be born at OSU Hospital. :)

Strict31
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom
Location: a huge, ever-growing, pulsating brain that rules from the centre of the ultraworld

Postby Strict31 » Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:17 am

Maybe every city should have its own elemental anyway...a spirit or group of spirits created by some otherworldly power to govern the varied cities of man. Maybe in places where the terminus energies were made manifest, these elementals were "tasked" with extra duties, to become physically manifest, where they are needed most. I created a "god of cities" as an NPC for a Mage campaign some years back. Different mood and atmosphere for that game, but the ideas can be easily translated to a superhero genre.

As for power ideas associated with Element Control: Cities, one fairly minor but potentially useful thing would be to have the character possess an inate sense of traffic patterns, maybe even down to control of traffic signals. It could come in handy for chasing crooks who run wild in vehicles. Maybe this could be simulated with Datalink or some sort of flawed telepathy or mind control affected devices only. He should probably also be able to understand all the laguages used by residents in his city too, represented either with the language skill or Comprehend. Maybe he could have a sort of "postcognition" ability so that he could sense events that happened in a particular location; scene of the crime sort of thing. Make him real useful to the local murder police.

I know you said your PC's powers were slightly different than the Doc's, so I'm trying to offer some alternative options that seem to fit the basic concept you've given.

Strictly Speaking

Setothes
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Setothes » Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:43 pm

That was my impression, as Earth Control (TK equal to rank), but applying to constructions of concrete, iron, tarmac and the various wires, cars, street-signs, etc that populate the urban 'terrain.'

[Poor Kalak the Mystic. He has Earth Control (which gives TK equal to rank for earth and stone) and Telekinesis, which kinda negates the need for the Earth Control...]

I use a different power for his Doc Metro's Transmutation, instead of being able to turn one thing into another, he can use Healing on the structures of the city (but not living things), and when he does his big showy things, he's blowing a Hero Point to add the Area Extra for a moment to fix a small building or whatever. (Which doesn't allow him to wave his hands and fix the city, he'll have to spend weeks on repairing the whole place, but I didn't feel the need for that level of power anyway... He's not John Hawksmoor, and won't be Animating Tokyo anytime soon either!)

I had a 'street mage' in GURPS Supers, who had an assortment of abilities related to control of the city (ESP within the city, could control machinery, entangle people with cables, etc), long before the Authority showed up and cribbed my notes, which were faithfully stolen from Shadowruns Urban Shaman template, and White Wolfs Bone Gnawer tribe... I like the idea of a 'city elemental,' so seeing Dr Metropolis was a treat.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (1e)”