Newbie with Game Balance question. ANY ADVICE IS WELCOME!

The place to discuss using and abusing the first edition Mutants & Masterminds rules. Rules questions, rules interpretations, house rules, and more rules.
Danicusrex
Bystander
Bystander

Newbie with Game Balance question. ANY ADVICE IS WELCOME!

Postby Danicusrex » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:59 am

Hey, I just got asked to run a 1e game for a few of my friends, and after scouring the rulebook a few times, i can't find ANYTHING that lets me know how to balance my combats. Like, if I have four 10th level heroes, what is a good level for a super villain to be if I want him to be able to hold his own practically unaided?

Or if i want a small group of villains to fight my four 10th level heroes? whats the conversion?

This is the first time i've DMed any game of any kind in about five years, so as much help as you want to give me is appreciated.
Thanks!

rchipman
Supporting Cast
Supporting Cast

Postby rchipman » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:03 am

I ran a 1st edition game for a while and my biggest complaint was game balance. In 1st Ed it is really easy to have a lower level character that can mop the floor wtih a higher level character.

It is going to vary depending on your characters powers and what trade-offs you allow. I suggest starting the campaign off with an adventure that involves a very high level villain that they are not intended to defeat. That way you can guage how powerfull they really are.

You might want to look at The Seed of Destruction found at http://64.17.155.164/2e_files/seed.pdf

It is a free adventure that involves a villain who's powers have been unnaturally augmented. The heroes will have to solve the mystery in order to defeat him. However, if your heroes are as stubborn as mine were they will keep trying to fight him until they are near death.

Danicusrex
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Danicusrex » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:45 pm

Thanks, man. It looks like that adventure will be a big help. So far the best idea I'd had was throw a giant robot at them and see what happened, but your solution is much more elegant.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (1e)”