question with incorporeal

The place to discuss using and abusing the first edition Mutants & Masterminds rules. Rules questions, rules interpretations, house rules, and more rules.
Rickynet
Henchman
Henchman

question with incorporeal

Postby Rickynet » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:20 am

one of my players has incoporeal power and in the last session he ask, what happend if being incorporeal i enter in the someone bdy and i make corporeal? he destroy, the body expell me?

Grendelstiltzkin
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Grendelstiltzkin » Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:49 pm

I'd personally say he'd probably be expelled from the body, unless he has the Phase Attack extra.

Rickynet
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Rickynet » Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:03 pm

and if he has the extra? destroy the body?
thanks

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:15 am

Rickynet wrote:and if he has the extra? destroy the body?
thanks

Frankly, it works as the phase attack, damage equal to ranks in incorporeal. While Rule 1 of M&M is to do what's most fun, giving a player an instant kill for special effects is stretching it. If it's a minion and they muff their damage save, then you might go ahead and have the body be destroyed (I mean, who really cares about a minion's body) but anything outside of that, and I'd say that you ought to only let them destroy the body using a hero point, or if the damage save is really muffed, things like that. Otherwise, your player will always use the move when body permanence is important (against necromancers who could raise the body for instance).

If your player complains about how it's "logical" for the body to be destroyed, you can always counter by the fact that him reforming his body constitutes a danger to him as well, so the body destruction could go either way. To some degree, that's what using the ranks in incorporeal for damage model; your control over your incorporeality allows you to avoid the messy bits of reforming. In reference to your earlier post, it probably would be a matter of being forced back out of the body while reforming.

Hmm... up to you as a GM but if your character is really into the idea of being able to destroy bodies by reforming (allows for disposal in the cases of reanimation, might impede regeneration, might allow bonuses for subsequent intimidation checks), you might allow it as a power stunt, possibly balancing it out by requiring them to make a power check (or damage save) to avoiding damaging themselves in the process.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (1e)”