Character Concepts and Creation

The place to discuss using and abusing the first edition Mutants & Masterminds rules. Rules questions, rules interpretations, house rules, and more rules.
MindMelterDeluxe
Groupie
Groupie

Character Concepts and Creation

Postby MindMelterDeluxe » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:44 am

How do you inspire your characters to come up with great character concepts that are dramatic and dynamic to play (not just 2-D)?

If someone has or buys equipement using PPs, is it fair to ask them to have a Craft Skill or Contacct to explain there nearly 8 uses/day?

Thank you graciously for your imput,

MMD

Roman Virtue
Hero
Hero

Postby Roman Virtue » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:58 am

I'm having some trouble in that area as well. What I've done just recently is told my players that I will not green light any further characters without a backstory/history. Too often they sit with me at the table to create a character and have no idea what kind of character they want to create!

Only then will they look threw the powers section and see a few powers they think will be cool and string them together in a very loose, flimsy concept and creat and orgin to fit their powers (instead of the other way around).

But yes, as far as the equipment/ craft thing- I'd say at the very least have them explain it in the story. They've already spent points on the equipment, so they should be able to use it, but I'd make them expalin how they get it and if they say they make it, then yes- at least a few ranks in craft.
Legends Never Die!!!
Roman Virtues Facebook

MindMelterDeluxe
Groupie
Groupie

Progressive Character Concept Trail

Postby MindMelterDeluxe » Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:20 am

For those having difficulty creating an original character for M&M, here is a rough idea of what the process may go like.

Hopefully, this will help everyone come up with a concept and a solid understanding of how to play that character. The when that is done, the abilities, skills and finally powers will be chosen.

Let's begin:

Concept Sketch:

-A young, friendly, captivating and caring woman with a background in childcare (Carelton 2 years and a Business Degree) or recreation (Profession: Caregiver).

Appearance:
She has a pale complexion, auburn hair, green eyes and of delicate slim features with a round face.

She has a thing for intricate rings that accent her fingers.

Clothes:

Sporting casual and comfortable attire that hints at her profession and the childish gleeful side of her personality (cutesy Hello Kitty, etc.).

Character Development/Signature Reactions/Behaviour

-I reason that her profession would grant her +2 to circumstantial bonus to one of the following skills for each 5 ranks (Treat Injury, Entertain, or Craft: Art).
I'll ask the GM if they are ok with that. treating.

-I also decide that her profession substantiates the skill Knowledge: Behaviour Sciences. I can also see this skill being useful in crime fighting.

-I want her to be a patriotic Canadian of mixed Irish and Scottish/Canadian origin (not necessarily with an accent). I decide Lindsay would be a good first name.

-Aside from being friendly, extroverted and social. I decide she is also shy around adults making her more comfortable around kids and young people (a detail that supports her profession).
-Maybe an exception to the rule would be a good idea too. Looking at her profession, I reason that singing (Perform: Sing) is something that would help her in her profession and with her anxiety. I also like the idea of her singing in stressful situations and dub it her signature behaviour.

-I decide she is a young and inexperience woman romantically but perhaps very cute (Chr. 15 or Attractive Feat). This would cause men to be attracted to her beyond her control which could be a fun thing to play. I decide that she may be cold and distant to any men that shows interest in her or better yet that she feels attracted to (-4 diplomacy). This could be substituted for a stutter or other teen affliction.

Quirks

Since she is a redhead and most I have met in the real world blush very obviously. I decide that she blushes when embarrassed or offended by another giving her opponent a +4 to Sense Motive. I see if the GM will grant me a Drawback for a reoccurring reaction (Will DC 15 to overcome) that I agree could happen once per session. If all goes well I gain 4-6pp for choosing this minor drawback.

-I decide she is a young and inexperience woman romantically but perhaps very cute (Chr. 15 or Attractive Feat). This would cause men to be attracted to her beyond her control which could be a fun thing to play. I decide that she may be cold and distant to any men that shows interest in her or better yet that she feels attracted to (-4 diplomacy). This could be substituted for a stutter or other teen affliction. I may make this another quirk in her behaviour or just a second idea to play off of.

Ambition

She wants to have her own business someday and is taking night classes in business once a week. Her passion is singing and any extra cash goes towards that. I consider that she may know the local club scene as a result having had performed a few times.

Abilities, Feats, Skills

Now that I have an idea of the type of person I am playing. I can chose the ability scores, feats and skills. I don't want to spend too much because I have a feeling that my super powers may cost a lot so I spend only on the most important personality and physical traits.

Str 9 Int 12 (curious and willing to learn)

Dex 12 Wis 13 (good and intuitive about moods and surroundings)

Con 10 Chr 14 (good with people of all sorts)

Total ability cost = 11pp

Skills: (before ability modifiers) Profession: Caregiver 3, Knowledge: Behavioural Sciences 2, Research: 1, Perform: Sing 2, Knowledge: Business 2, Knowledge: Current Events 2 =10pp

*I plan to take a Feat to boost at least two of her skills, for now undecided.

Points to spend = 36 = (15x2) + 6 (quirk)

Skills spent so far ( 36 - 10 skills - 11 abilities) = 15pp

* my second choice for a weakness is Technological Hazzard for 10pp (anything technological ceases to function when she touches/operates it) since she is such a people person. I got the idea form her sign of Gemini which gave me some ideas about her personality.

Costume

I decide that I want her costume to be a cross between an onstage rock outfit and an Olympic skiers outfit with a helmet and a maple leaf.

Powers

I want to control and sculpt ice. I also like the idea of the sleek ice body that covers everything I wear if possible.

What's next?

In the future, I would like to be able to see her fly on wings of ice and control the weather.

Alternatively, I like the idea of her becoming a black shard of animated sinewy ice that is threatening.

... that's all for now. Pretty good for an hour's work. Next time I will spend the remaining points on my abilities.

Irek

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (1e)”