A few questions from a newbie

The place to discuss using and abusing the first edition Mutants & Masterminds rules. Rules questions, rules interpretations, house rules, and more rules.
fougerec
Bystander
Bystander

A few questions from a newbie

Postby fougerec » Sat May 13, 2006 8:51 am

Although I'm not new to gaming, I'm new to M&M. I picked up the first ed book and Freedom City second hand (no luck finding the 2nd Ed anywhere here).

So I have two quick questions if anyone can help.

1) I've noticed some of the characters (Bowman) have other powers as powerstunts but I can only find rules for including other powers as extras. Am I missing something?

2) Is it possible to have an extra at a lower level then the base power? Suppose I build an armored character with Armor 10, but although I want superstrength as part of the suit 10 is way to much for the concept. Can I take the extra at a lower level or should I just purchase Super Strength with the flaw - Device at the level that's appropriate.

Thanks all.

Awesome game, though I do wish I could find the 2nd ed it seems way cool. May be time to check out drivethrurpg.
Its fun being me. Is it fun being you? - Denny Crane

Evendur
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Evendur » Sat May 13, 2006 10:34 am

For the Armor

If you don't buy it at the full rank, you just apply the normal -1 flaw for making it an extra, and is costed normally. And the Device flaw is applied to the whole power, not individula extras

eg:

Armor 10 (1pp/rank)
Extras:
Super Strength 5 (15pp)
Fire Blast
Flight

Cost = 10 ranks x 3pp/rank + 15pp = 45pp

For that, it may have been changed in the Errata (Which you can find in the Gimmick's Gagets section of this website) Or, it could be a modified version of the Sorcery Power, which allows for more spells, or maybe in this case arrows, to be added as a power stunt. Though, if you could post an example in your next reply, I could explain it better, as I don't own have the Freedom City book or 1E book with me at the moment.
H.E.R.O.I.C. Member of the 2nd Rank
Owner of a map to Paradise Island

"See this med-pack? See this gun? These mean the only people dying here today are the ones I kill!" -Field Medic, Cyberpunk Card Game

fougerec
Bystander
Bystander

Postby fougerec » Sat May 13, 2006 11:24 am

That's about what I figured using an Excel character sheet I found online.

As for the Bowman Example - Weapon +5; Extra: Swinging; Power Stunts: Dual Damage, Slick, Obscure, Stun Attack, Snare. Cost 2pp)

Now I understand how to calculate the costs, but I'm at a loss as to why the other powers are Stunts and not Extras. Its obviously much, much cheaper.

Thanks for the help.

Evendur
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Evendur » Sat May 13, 2006 11:29 am

If you look at at the Weapon Power, it allows you to take them as power stunts if applicable, like a grenade launcher being able to shoot net capulses (like a use of the snare power)

"See this med-pack? See this gun? These mean the only people dying here today are the ones I kill!" -Field Medic, Cyberpunk Card Game

fougerec
Bystander
Bystander

Postby fougerec » Sat May 13, 2006 12:23 pm

Doh, missed that completely for some reason.

Thanks muchly.

Evendur
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Evendur » Sat May 13, 2006 12:57 pm

It's ok, it's what we're here for :D

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (1e)”