Errata & FAQ Updates

The place to discuss using and abusing the first edition Mutants & Masterminds rules. Rules questions, rules interpretations, house rules, and more rules.
DrFaust
Bystander
Bystander

Postby DrFaust » Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:00 pm

Could someone point me to a copy of the original errata? In my lust for all things new and shiny, I deleted it upon downloading the second version.

Dr Archeville
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Dr Archeville » Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:02 am

With Super-Attributes (and Super-Skill) being Permanent, the Neutralizing Manacles on pg. 41-42 of Freedom City just became a lot less useful -- they can't neutralize a detainees's Super-Strength, nor could they neutralize a character's Super-Skill: Escape Artist ranks....
Last edited by Dr Archeville on Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come join us at http://www.freedomplaybypost.com/index.php ! (current status: site and chat stable, Wiki pending)

arcady
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby arcady » Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:15 am

That's what I mean when I say permenancy was applied with too hasty a sweeping brush.

It seems to have not considered all of the implications of doing so.

There's an advantage in the new champions that makes something inherant - a part of your normal state and not your super state. Useful for simulating non humans for example, where you can neutralize the aliens wings...

That should be there as an option, and not applied by default to so many powers.

Artking3
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Artking3 » Sun Feb 15, 2004 4:17 pm

Raven's powers list Super-Dexterity +5 with Extras: Super-Charisma (Intimidating Presence), Super-Intelligence, Super-Wisdom. 9 pp.

Are Super-Attributes allowed as extras like that, I checked under the Super-Dexterity power and it does not list any extras.

DrFaust
Bystander
Bystander

Postby DrFaust » Sun Feb 15, 2004 6:42 pm

Artking3 wrote:Raven's powers list Super-Dexterity +5 with Extras: Super-Charisma (Intimidating Presence), Super-Intelligence, Super-Wisdom. 9 pp.

Are Super-Attributes allowed as extras like that, I checked under the Super-Dexterity power and it does not list any extras.

Generally speaking, you can make any power an extra of any other power. The extras listed for a given power are just effects commonly associated with the particular power. They are not the end-all, be-all of what can be attached to that power.

farik
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Location: I'm lost in some distant part of Nebraska, on a ship -- a LIVING ship

Postby farik » Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:37 pm

DrFaust wrote:
Artking3 wrote:Raven's powers list Super-Dexterity +5 with Extras: Super-Charisma (Intimidating Presence), Super-Intelligence, Super-Wisdom. 9 pp.

Generally speaking, you can make any power an extra of any other power. The extras listed for a given power are just effects commonly associated with the particular power. They are not the end-all, be-all of what can be attached to that power.

In our group we encourage people to combine their powers into a single power whenever possible. After all when Lex Luthor Nuetralizes a Super Hero he always strips them of their entire suite of abilities not just their flight the same is true of Rogue draining a power.

cptnmrvl
Bystander
Bystander

Postby cptnmrvl » Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:28 pm

Okay, this may have been answered somewhere else but if it has, I haven't seen it.

Under Sorcery, can the mystic purchase the extras of the listed spell types? For example, if she chooses Telepathy, can she get the group link extra as well if she pays the PP for it?

Inquiring minds want to know :D

E-
"...with one magic word!"

optiplex
Groupie
Groupie

Postby optiplex » Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:59 pm

cptnmrvl wrote:Okay, this may have been answered somewhere else but if it has, I haven't seen it.

Under Sorcery, can the mystic purchase the extras of the listed spell types? For example, if she chooses Telepathy, can she get the group link extra as well if she pays the PP for it?

Inquiring minds want to know :D

E-

i asked this on the rules thread a while ago & got a very strong yes & i think kenson or one of the others posted or was refernced in one the replies. ( my question was about telepathy & group link))

hope this helps
You were not put on the Earth to "get it" Mr. Burton--Lo Pan

Vortex
Hireling
Hireling

Postby Vortex » Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:59 am

Greetings.

It's a month now since the new errata were released. No offense to Steve, but when is he going to say ANYTHING about the now missing parts of the errata? :?

Bye

V.

gnownek
Cohort
Cohort

1 way of doing a comic book style drain.......

Postby gnownek » Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:19 am

Drain +10 (Powers) (Extras: Range, All Powers, Neutralize, Extra Time For Recovery x2 (10 minutes per level), Flaws: Cannot drain characters of normal biological abilities with no special effect*, Extra Time- One Full Round)
Cost 2+1+1+1+2-1-1 =5pp per level = 50pp

e.g. permanent growth, shrinking or density alteration, low levels (+1 or +2) of super-dexterity, super-intelligence, super-wisdom, super-charisma, strike, natural weapon or amazing save with the training special effect

Possible additional flaws: Mystical powers only, Mutant Powers only, Super-Science Only, Unreliable (Fails on a roll of 1-5, wasted action)

Chris F
Collaborator
Collaborator

Postby Chris F » Fri Feb 27, 2004 7:25 am

Vortex wrote:No offense to Steve, but when is he going to say ANYTHING about the now missing parts of the errata?

Steve made a post a while back saying that he basically has to work on Errata in his "off time." I guess his plate is somewhat full right now.

gnownek
Cohort
Cohort

Needed in the next annual

Postby gnownek » Mon Mar 22, 2004 12:11 pm

Rules for playing characters who own and use purchased/found equipment. e.g.

-Some kind of pool of power points characters can use to
represent purchased items (cars, radios, etc, possibly at the cost of a hero point).

- Power stunts to increase access to items with this poll e.g. power stunts to get access to firearms, heavy weaponry & explosives, restricted law enforcement equipment (surveilance gear), military vehicles.

-Balancing rules for boost so it can't boost huge 8pp/level powers

-Rules for using an attack power and an extra to get an extra attack just as fighting with two weapons allows an extra attack (a punch and energy blast combination)

-Rules for whether powers with source: training should be affected by drain feats or drain powers. Rules for whether feats with special effects should be affected by drain feats or powers.

arcady
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby arcady » Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:07 pm

The pool you suggest is called Gadgets. If you want a wealth system that's a seperate issue. I have a proposal for a Wealth system here:
http://home.pacbell.net/arcady0/MnM/Add_Ons.html
Some method of Wealth system could be adopted out of the d20 Modern system in a future MnM book of variant rules (perhaps a future Anual, or a Superlink book). Doesn't need to be my system, though it could with some refinement.

I see no problem with Boost, as it is counter balanced by Neutralize, Drain, and Transfer. If any one of these four powers comes into a game, as well as Absorption, then all five of them should come in with the same frequency. That means that if a PC has either Boost or Absorption, so should a just as frequently occuring NPC have those powers and the assorting draining powers (perhaps split frequency between them - one session a drainer shows up, the next an NPC booster, the third session an NPC transferer, etc...).

Attack powers getting an extra attack is called the multishot and autofire extras. One can then use the relevant feats to keep the penalty from being so harsh. Likewise, one could buy a second weapon power, and then use two weapon fighting manuevers, and get the relevant feats to keep the penalties down.

No rules should exist for any 'source'. This is the realm of GM adjudication on a case by case basis using the concept of the powers in question - how they are described - to rule it. In the case of super-int flawed to skills only and listed as hyper-trained, then drain: skill could be rules by a GM to be the relevant power, rather than Drain: Power. But it belongs in the realm of GM adjudication.

At most, the FAQ should simply have my above statement, or something like it, added. That it is a GM case by case calling, using the guidelines of logical concept.

gnownek
Cohort
Cohort

Postby gnownek » Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:29 pm

I like the gadget pool but its too broad- characters tend to pull out 'superhero'-ish gadgets.

I want something like the Punisher's armory. Guns, vehicles, spy gear only....

Possibly Gadgets + 10, (Extra: Can purchase vehicles, Flaw: Can purchase 'normal items' only, Extra: No hero point required, Flaw: Must return to base and make 'wealth' check when changing equipment = 1pp per rank)

This would let the Punisher buy 20pp of firearms each adventure.
(SMG, pistol, + grenades?)

arcady
Daredevil
Daredevil

Postby arcady » Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:35 pm

No Hero Point required is actually worth about 98 extras.

From a review that should be on rpg.net soon:
Variable Effects without a Hero Point cost is the same as having that many ranks in every power in the game with the flaw 'using more than one at a time means you must split ranks between those in use'. If you only allow in core-MnM Powers that is about 100 points per rank. So the Hero Point limitation is clearly lowering the cost quite a bit.

It's also not in any way a legal extra:

Relevant threads:
Not allowing for the Hero Point to be bought off:
http://www.greenronin.com/phpBB2/viewto ... highlight=

Ranks in gadgets stay around forever unless you allocate them again:
http://www.greenronin.com/phpBB2/viewto ... highlight=

Buying Gadgets more than once:
http://www.mutantsandmasterminds.com/ph ... .php?t=233

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (1e)”