Errata & FAQ Updates

The place to discuss using and abusing the first edition Mutants & Masterminds rules. Rules questions, rules interpretations, house rules, and more rules.
Steve Kenson
Mastermind

Errata & FAQ Updates

Postby Steve Kenson » Thu Nov 20, 2003 5:34 pm

Okay, folks. This thread is the place to post questions or updates for the errata and Frequently Asked Questions. While I'll do my best to get them answered on here, the primary goal is to compile the stuff for an update to the errata and FAQ downloads.

So if you've noticed a mistake not in the present errata or there's a frequenly asked question not in the FAQ, post it here and let us know!
Steve Kenson - steve@greenronin.com
Green Ronin Publishing

The Shroud
Bystander
Bystander

Postby The Shroud » Thu Nov 20, 2003 5:47 pm

First off, thank you. The response time to the threads is amazing in an industry that tends to move at slightly faster than glacial pace.
I really, really appreciate it.

So here's a simple one;
Is this power legal? In the sense that does it follow 'best practices' for power development, assuming that my GM has allowed these powers to exist within the same framework.

Let me state that I'm using this as an example for three primary reasons;
1.) Force Field Errata
2.) Restrictions/Guidelines for building powers with other powers as extras.
3.) The Effect of restrictions on a BASE Power of any power taken as an 'extra' (i.e. If my TK is 'touch' I would assume that any power taken off of it would default to 'touch' if appropriate)

Tactile Telekinesis (Source : Mutation)
Cost : 2
Action : Half
Range : Touch (-1 PP per Rank : Total Cost 1)
Duration : Sustained

Extras :
Force Field (1 PP per Rank : Total Cost 2)
- Affects Others (1 PP per Rank : Total Cost 3)
- Deflection (1 PP per Rank : Total Cost 4)
- Immunity : Critical Hits (1 PP per Rank : Total Cost 5)
Critical Hits,Cold,Electricity,Fire,Gravity,Kinetic,Light,Magnetic,
Radiation,Sonic,Vibration,Pressure

- Impenetrable (1 PP per Rank : Total Cost 6)
Strike (1 PP per Rank : Total Cost 7)
Flight (1 PP per Rank : Total Cost 8 PP per Rank)

Power Level 12 x 8 PP per level = 96

Thank you very much.
The Shroud

mgg
Superhero
Superhero

Postby mgg » Thu Nov 20, 2003 8:35 pm

Errata in the book:

The Python rifle on page 111-112 is listed as costing 15pp in the text, but 14pp in the summary at the end. 14pp is the correct cost.

Errata to the errata:

Just in case it gets lost in the shuffle: Force Field in the errata should cost 2pp
If you are going to correct the archetypes:

Cyclone/Battle Suit should only pay 1pp per Power Stunt on his armor.

Damocles should pay for Hardness.

mgg
Superhero
Superhero

Postby mgg » Thu Nov 20, 2003 8:50 pm

Definitely for the FAQ:

Does Alternate Form Solid provide both Hardness and Protection? Doesn't that break PL limits?

(Alternate Form Solid only provides the character Protection.)

Also for the FAQ:

Can I combine multiple attack options? For example could I use rapid shot, an autofire attack, and a second autofire attack with my off hand? How does this work?

The Shadow
Luminary
Luminary

Postby The Shadow » Thu Nov 20, 2003 8:56 pm

The FAQ could definitely stand to mention how to link powers together to go off at the same time.

This is something anyone who's ever played Champions wants to know.

The Shadow

Frozen Yakman
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Frozen Yakman » Thu Nov 20, 2003 11:12 pm

Here's something that I brought up recently. Maybe for the FAQ but the errata would be an equally good place for it.

What can you make with the Craft skills, what are the DCs for the checks and how long does it take to craft the item?

This was my suggested solution but the issue wasn't really resolved.

Mundane (0pp)Devices- DC 10
Power Devices- DC 10 + total power point cost of power

Build Time- Subtract the craft DC from your craft check (with a minimum of 1) and divide the craft DC by this number. This is the number of hours it takes to craft this item (minimum 1 hour, round up).
Additional Costs- Crafting a device that creates a power costs 1 hero point; the device is usable for one game session. A hero may retrieve this device in later sessions by spending a hero point at the DM's discretion.
Power Cap- You may craft power devices with a maximum rank equal to your total skill modifier divided by 2 to a maximum of your power level.
Crafting Items with Multiple Powers (such as a fully functioning robot)- Treat each attribute as a seperate craft check. Failure on one craft check results in a total failure for the rest of the device.

Example: Dr. Mutation has Craft (Mutagens) +28; he wants to create a serum that grants its user Super-Strength +5 for one session.
The DC for this check is 10 + 5 * 4 (30) and requires a hero point.
Dr. Mutation makes this easily and rolls a 38.
It takes him ceiling(30/(38-30)) = ceiliing(3.75) = 4 hours to create this serum.
Unfortunately the serum is a one use item so Dr. Mutation can not retrieve this item in the next session.

Frozen Yakman
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Frozen Yakman » Thu Nov 20, 2003 11:44 pm

Oh yeah, can you clarify the Super-Power feature for Headquarters?

If you have a PL10 headquarters does that mean you could have a

Super-Power X +10 [Cost: 10pp/rank]?

Other questions:

What effect types are the following powers- Luck, Neutralize, Slow, Weather Control, Reincarnate, Super-Skill, Blending, Astral Projection, Time Control, Spinning, Alternate Form (in general), and Super-Speed (desides the obvious movement effect?

Jet Valkyrie
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Jet Valkyrie » Thu Nov 20, 2003 11:46 pm

Jet Valkyrie
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Jet Valkyrie » Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:04 am

Boost seems too cheap, particularly if used to raise all physical abilities scores. 3 pp/rank gets you Super-Str + Super-Dex + Super-Con which would normally cost 10 pp/rank. Cheap even considering the limits of Boost.

On the flipside Super-Con is almost certainly too expensive -- Amazing Save Damage + Amazing Save Fort + Con roll bonuses only comes out to 3 pp/rank.

Jet Valkyrie
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Jet Valkyrie » Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:10 am

Telekinesis clearly needs fleshing out, based on all the space used in the forum on it. Can you throw people and cause them damage (i.e. is TK violent or just a peaceful way to move things?), how far does an object move a round, etc.

If you can do damage by throwing people 2 pp/rank is probably too cheap since it can be used for other things as well.

bestopheles
Bystander
Bystander

Postby bestopheles » Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:15 am

Hey Steve,

Here's a few Mimic related power questions:

1) When you mimic another character, do you mimic their gear as well? (I.E. Do you get powers with the device flaw if you have the all powers extra on mimic?)

2) Assuming you have mimic: Powers Extra: Skills, All Attributes at level 10. You target Protonik with your mimic, who has +10 Spot and + 10 super senses. Am I correct in assuming that you only get a +10 total bonus to your spot checks now, because your power bonus to spot can't exceed your PL?

3) This is a minor point, but how does the tainted mimicry flaw work with the extra subjects extra? Do you have the absolute worst of everyone, or does it basically just give you everyone's weaknesses (IE, just weaknesses and not every bad ability score too)? That seems to be the way it's described in the Argo description in Freedom city...could just be GM fiat though...

4) When you can take mimic as an extra for shapeshift, do you actually need to targe something to copy it? If so, what extras do you need to take to be able to shapeshift in power-using versions of mythical / non-accessible creatures? Like fire breathing dragons, medusas, etc...

5) Can Jinx affect a damage save?

Also, more power creation examples are ALWAYS welcome.

Jason
Most notable superpower? Mad cow disease. And the ability to emit methane gas in large quantities.

Jet Valkyrie
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Jet Valkyrie » Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:22 am

Ram is too powerful. You are effectively bypassing the PL power stacking limit by combining Super-Strength / Strike / etc and a movement power.

Plus anyone with Protection and/or Force Field can choose to ram for less bonus damage than their protection without taking any retributive damage penalty. (Protonik could move 100' and ram and do a +10 bonus which he would also take, but instead he moves 90' and does +9 taking no damage himself since he has Protection +10).

Jet Valkyrie
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Jet Valkyrie » Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:31 am

Can or can't a player use a Hero Point to reroll a damage save? The rules specifically say no (p 131 - it's a free action, which can only be on their turn), but the FAQ says you can.

Personally I think it's much more in genre to rouse yourself and shake off the stun, etc on your action instead of just re-rolling and just ignoring the attack to begin with.

Frozen Yakman
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Frozen Yakman » Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:43 am

bestopheles wrote:Hey Steve,

4) When you can take mimic as an extra for shapeshift, do you actually need to targe something to copy it? If so, what extras do you need to take to be able to shapeshift in power-using versions of mythical / non-accessible creatures? Like fire breathing dragons, medusas, etc...

I second this question, how does this work.

dr jekyll
Bystander
Bystander

Postby dr jekyll » Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:09 am

Jet Valkyrie wrote:Can or can't a player use a Hero Point to reroll a damage save? The rules specifically say no (p 131 - it's a free action, which can only be on their turn), but the FAQ says you can.

Doesn't that combine to say that you can only reroll a Damage Save that occurs during your turn, perhaps by hitting an enemy with an energy field?

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (1e)”