Protection+Evasion?

The place to discuss using and abusing the first edition Mutants & Masterminds rules. Rules questions, rules interpretations, house rules, and more rules.
Striker
Bystander
Bystander

Protection+Evasion?

Postby Striker » Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:19 pm

Here's the scenario: A PL 10 character has Protection 4 and Amazing Save-Reflex 6. He is attacked with an energy blast with a damage save DC of 25. Does the Protection reduce the damage save DC to 21 if the character uses their Reflex save via the Evasion feat instead of making a normal Damage save?

Note: The character's protection plus all power bonuses to the Reflex save do fall within the power stacking limits.

Basically, does protection count even when you are using Evasion against an attack?
Ever wonder how there can be over fifteen Final Fantasies?

Evendur
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Evendur » Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:24 pm

This is a tricky situation. Since you are trying to avoid the attack, rather than just not getting hurt by the blast, you would think that it wouldn't. But, since the Protection just says that you're really tough, you're really trying to evade a less powerful attck because of how tough you are.

So, in conclusion, they do stack when you make your damage save
H.E.R.O.I.C. Member of the 2nd Rank
Owner of a map to Paradise Island

"See this med-pack? See this gun? These mean the only people dying here today are the ones I kill!" -Field Medic, Cyberpunk Card Game

Rebel_XV
Bystander
Bystander

I agree...

Postby Rebel_XV » Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:52 am

I mean what happens is you are fired upon by an evil something or other so you try to avoid the attack through evasion but some of it still hits you, but if your're thougher than normal then you could just brush it off because you just dodged most of the attack turning it into a "glancing blow" ex: while spiderman I would in M&M not rule has protection he is thougher than normal but rhino tries to hit him spidey tries to avoid the attack through evasion which lets say spideys off today or is in a situation where dodging all of it is not going to happen, because of him bending, flipping, or just moving out of the way of most of it then what ever makes him thougher then normal absorbes whatever damage it can then he takes the rest of as normal. Or it could be that he is hit then moves out of the rest of the attack avoiding the "follow through". Hope that helps

Striker
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Striker » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:19 pm

Thanks, that makes sense. Now just to point the GM this way and see if she agrees.
Ever wonder how there can be over fifteen Final Fantasies?

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (1e)”