Super-Dex 20 + Defense 20 + Dex 20 + Combat Sense 20= UNFAIR

The place to discuss using and abusing the first edition Mutants & Masterminds rules. Rules questions, rules interpretations, house rules, and more rules.
Rebel_XV
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Rebel_XV » Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:58 am

Ok that seems broken maybe it's just me but how do you hit someone like that without fienting or taunting...I mean with a 20 BAB & 20 in the prime attribute it's still not even close to hitting them without a nat 20 on the die. Is there anyway to rectify this at all?

P.S.Oh this is a highpowered game so lvl cap will be 30-50, and also not sure where to post this question.

Sword of the Spirit
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Sword of the Spirit » Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:27 am

If power cap is 30, then if any person were to put 30 in their base attack, wouldn't that mean they only need to roll a 10 to hit?

If the cap is 50 in your scenario(the upper limit you mention), doesn't that mean it would be even easier to hit with even more points put into BAB?
Ephesians6:11 Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes.

farik
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Location: I'm lost in some distant part of Nebraska, on a ship -- a LIVING ship

Postby farik » Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:49 am

This is a common problem with 1e and there is no simple solution you either need to place a GM enforced cap on total defense bonus or else you need to use opponents who don't require a good to hit, Area effect attacks for instance as wells as energy fields were all very handy when facing 1e high defense characters,
One man's hobo booze is another man's fiiiine sippin' wine.

Oh, and by the way, I don't use drawbacks in my game, just complications.

Rebel_XV
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Rebel_XV » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:57 am

Ok the person in question is going to be a spiderman type character so he could grab a car and throw it at anyone with an energy field or web them and throw them into damaging things, and I don't want anyone who even wants to stand a chance to have to have an area attack. Oh and about BAB going up then super dex can go up too as well as defence bonus.

I will put a limit on it though if I can't find another way to do it, but I am open to suggestions. PLEASE HELP!!!

farik
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Postby farik » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:06 am

Rebel_XV wrote:Ok the person in question is going to be a spiderman type character so he could grab a car and throw it at anyone with an energy field or web them and throw them into damaging things, and I don't want anyone who even wants to stand a chance to have to have an area attack. Oh and about BAB going up then super dex can go up too as well as defence bonus.

I will put a limit on it though if I can't find another way to do it, but I am open to suggestions. PLEASE HELP!!!

Those are the only official options really. That's why defense bonus was changed in 2nd edition because it was such a big problem for so many characters and GMs..

If you want to import the 2e rule then you simply cap "total" attack and defense bonus at the PL.

Rebel_XV
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Rebel_XV » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:08 am

I know this is probably not possible but could you give me that whole rule because i don't have 2e right but hopfully in a month or two :).Thank you all very much. this is one of the best communities I've had the pleasure of being in.

farik
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Postby farik » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:11 am

we try

Bizarro
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Bizarro » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:14 pm

wouldn't this be the perfect time for the stacking-limit rule to come into play?

so +25 to avoid being hit, +25 to avoid damage if hit, and +25 to avoid things like blast radius' and line attacks. Sounds about right. Opponents could do about the same thing, if they're equivalent supers. What, does the stacking limit not exist?

also, don't forget that there are other attack forms. mind affect, sealed room filled with gas... in fact, then there are the moral dilemmas: place his girlfriend and the scorpion at one spot, and doc oc and aunt may in another. Then place the two points further apart than his movement rate. he still only gets one full action each round.

Even Superman can't be in two places at once (saving two crashing jumbo jets, one with lois and one with the president). Regardless of the character's abilities, you will have to think of ways to challenge them. This could include doing the math for important little things:

1) movement rates
2) saves they suck at (fort for wizards, will for fighters, etc.)
3) areas they are weak in (this guy doesn't sound like he's got points for protection from fire, radiation, and the ability to breath in the vacuum of space... put him in a space station with exploding radio-active robots)
4) things they're good at so they can actually get out of the dilemma with a slim chance
5) ammo: enough "hits" in stat X and they'll effectively be done; figure out what it is, and build tension around it.
6) time limits: there's a bomb in the city, you have clues and a time limit.

that sound good for now
I don't post much for one simple reason: I find it hard to press buttons that say "submit". Never give up, never surrender!

Rickynet
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Rickynet » Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:28 pm

[quote="farik"][quote="Rebel_XV"]Ok the person in question is going to be a spiderman type character so he could grab a car and throw it at anyone with an energy field or web them and throw them into damaging things, and I don't want anyone who even wants to stand a chance to have to have an area attack. Oh and about BAB going up then super dex can go up too as well as defence bonus.

I will put a limit on it though if I can't find another way to do it, but I am open to suggestions. PLEASE HELP!!![/quote]

Those are the only official options really. That's why defense bonus was changed in 2nd edition because it was such a big problem for so many characters and GMs..

If you want to import the 2e rule then you simply cap "total" attack and defense bonus at the PL.[/quote]

can you explain the diference between 1e and 2e
and what is BAB

in 1e the base and defense base is PL, my english isnt very well to understood the problem in this post

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (1e)”