Amphibious with a flaw?

The place to discuss using and abusing the first edition Mutants & Masterminds rules. Rules questions, rules interpretations, house rules, and more rules.
Insanity
Bystander
Bystander

Amphibious with a flaw?

Postby Insanity » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:00 pm

Just found M&M and like what I've read and seen sofar. In the process of developing my first char, probably as an NPC, one question I thought of is this. I want the character to be amphibious, but be unable to respire in air, basically a fish. Concept would be the character begins sufficating as soon as he is out of water. Short-term, no problem. Long-term, suffocates. The amphibious super-feat doesn't have any flaws. Would it be more appropriate to add this as a weakness, thereby receiving 10 pp? Or add a flaw to the feat and reduce its cost by 1 pp (making it cost 1 pp)? This weakness could be overcome without the right equipment/device, but is still a weakness. Any feedback is thankful.

Greyman
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Greyman » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:23 pm

First: you appear to be refering to first edition rules. This is the second edition rules board. Most of us are geared to answer in second edition terms.

Second: Weakness appears to be the way to go. (NB: In second edition the pricing is improved.)

Insanity
Bystander
Bystander

Whoops

Postby Insanity » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:42 pm

I apologize, didn't realize that I made that mistake.

Greyman
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Greyman » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:02 pm

Don't worry about it. It's not really a problem. Just be aware that some of the answers you recieve here may not make sense, but most of the rules are similar enough.

Still, alll things considered, you might be interested to know that the first edition boards are still active. Just look further down the board index or go straight here.

Welcome to the game, and these boards. Have fun.

farik
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Location: I'm lost in some distant part of Nebraska, on a ship -- a LIVING ship

Postby farik » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:00 pm

Actually I'll just move this over to the 1e boards and everybody can be happy.
One man's hobo booze is another man's fiiiine sippin' wine.

Oh, and by the way, I don't use drawbacks in my game, just complications.

Evendur
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Evendur » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:52 pm

I say weakness is the way to go, but I wouldn't call the weakness "Amphibious" just on the grounds that the word means that you can do both,

I'd say to do something like the Vampire's hunger from Crooks!. Where the hero can survive out of water for a number of hours equal to his Constitution modifier, and then the effects of the Susceptible weakness hit him when those number of hours are up.
H.E.R.O.I.C. Member of the 2nd Rank
Owner of a map to Paradise Island

"See this med-pack? See this gun? These mean the only people dying here today are the ones I kill!" -Field Medic, Cyberpunk Card Game

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (1e)”