Optional Hit Point System

The place to discuss using and abusing the first edition Mutants & Masterminds rules. Rules questions, rules interpretations, house rules, and more rules.
Levi72
Bystander
Bystander

Optional Hit Point System

Postby Levi72 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:21 am

Below is a quote from another thread...I have some additional questions along these lines.

Nowhere in the M&M 1st Ed on Pg 131 does it mention Protection, Force Field, Armor, etc as your response below claims, can you please clarify how these Powers work in the optional Hit Point system?

How can unarmed Martial Artists join the party here? Seems wrong to hve them throwing 1D6+STR bonus while everyone else is throwing 10D6+.

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on these questions.

Steve Kenson
M&M Developer
Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:50 am Post subject: Re: Hit Point system questions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Does Protection (and Force Field, Armor, etc.) work exactly like Amazing Save (Damage) under this system?

No, the differences are explained on p. 131 of M&M.

2) How does Evasion work under this system? How about Mental Blast?

Evasion doesn't really work well in the hit point system. You could, I suppose, have it work like Amazing Save (Damage) and provide an increase in hit points.

Mental Blast works normally: it does hit point damage, but bypasses normal damage reduction. I'd suggest halving Mental Blast's damage in the hit point system to reflect this.

3) Aren't Hero Points a lot less useful when they can't be used to reroll damage saves?

They are less useful, although I don't know about a lot less. On the other hand, perhaps the hit point system helps free up hero points for other things.

4) Super-Strength seems a superior damaging option, providing an extra 1d6 damage when compared to a melee Weapon of the same rank. Was this deliberate?

Actually Super-Strength and Weapon of the same rank add the same damage: 1d6 per rank, as given on p. 130 of M&M.

Steve Kenson
Mastermind

Postby Steve Kenson » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:26 am

Since this question deals with M&M 1e, I've moved it here and I'll just say that hit points in M&M 2e will be addressed in the Mastermind's Manual. Should it not answer your questions when it comes along, Levi72, please feel free to repost them in the Official Rules Forum, reworked for M&M 2e.
Steve Kenson - steve@greenronin.com
Green Ronin Publishing

Levi72
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Levi72 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:40 pm

Steve Kenson wrote:Since this question deals with M&M 1e, I've moved it here and I'll just say that hit points in M&M 2e will be addressed in the Mastermind's Manual. Should it not answer your questions when it comes along, Levi72, please feel free to repost them in the Official Rules Forum, reworked for M&M 2e.

Steve, I appreciate you addressing my question. My concern is that I have already purchased M&M 1e and I would very much like to use it now, rather than waiting for and purchasing the second edition of the game. I am disappointed that you would answer my inquiry about a book that I have already purchased by telling me to buy the newest edition. Could you please answer the questions I asked you in the original post?

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (1e)”