Evasion

The place to discuss using and abusing the first edition Mutants & Masterminds rules. Rules questions, rules interpretations, house rules, and more rules.
BlackDragon1200
Zealot
Zealot
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australasia, Earth, Sol, Orion, Milky Way...

Evasion

Postby BlackDragon1200 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:10 am

I am GMing and have an NPC with Dex 20, Combat Sense 5 and Evasion. The NPC is grappled by one of the players. Usually she would lose her dodge bonus to defense against anyone not involved in the grapple but due to her Combat Sense she retains her dodge bonus against everybody. Now here's the thing, according to the rules (As far as i can tell) she can still use her evasion in this situation. I think it can make sense as she is not completely immobile but what does eveyone else think?
Fear is the mind killer...

Grendel
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Grendel » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:56 am

I'd say no in my game. I always used combat sense to keep someone from being suprised, or to deffend against a successful bluff, stuff like that. It's hard for me to imagine someone being able to dodge all that well while being held. However if the rules are unclear, it'd be your call.

On a side note I'd allow a character to use evasion in that situation if they were willing to spend a hero point. :)
That's not a good start, but keep going.
-Ron Burgandy

Paragon
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Paragon » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:59 am

By both the letter of the rules, and the general way D20 answers this question, I'd say the Evasion is, indeed, still useable.
And we by this sole token;
Know we once were gods;
Take shame in being broken;
No matter how great the odds.

Dread Lord
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Dread Lord » Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:17 pm

I don't think Evasion should help in this case. It's generaly used by playing out that the target is able to actualy evade the attack, if they are grappled, bound, or such then they can't evade.

Combat Sense should only apply to your AC for attacks while flatfooted or from Invisable or undetected attackers.
I sometimes wonder if I've ever made a smart decision.

Dread Lord
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Dread Lord » Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:19 pm

On further thought, unless the attacker has Extra: Selective then both partys in the grapple should make damage saves normaly, even if one is friendly.
I sometimes wonder if I've ever made a smart decision.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (1e)”