1e M&M (Confused and looking for understanding?)

The place to discuss using and abusing the first edition Mutants & Masterminds rules. Rules questions, rules interpretations, house rules, and more rules.
RotnSoul
Bystander
Bystander

1e M&M (Confused and looking for understanding?)

Postby RotnSoul » Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:22 pm

Okay I'm new to M&M but I'm trying to get the swing of things.

So far I see that everything is bought buy PP (power points) however on the Character sheet I see where it sas BASE Defense - How do I know what the BASE is? Do you buy BASEs as well with PP?

Greyman
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Greyman » Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:02 pm

Base Defense is the simply amount you purchase directly with power points. On top of this various things provide bonuses to defense (for example, Dexterity provides a dodge bonus in 1e, as does the Dodge feat). You don't purchase these bonuses (except through purchasing the things that provide them). Your Defense score is the Base Defense + Bonuses.

RotnSoul
Bystander
Bystander

DMG

Postby RotnSoul » Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:12 pm

I have a blaster that uses Energy (Fire) but I can't find where it gives be the Base DMG for Fire? or is it just my Rank in Control Energy that is the DMG?

Paragon
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: DMG

Postby Paragon » Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:12 pm

RotnSoul wrote:I have a blaster that uses Energy (Fire) but I can't find where it gives be the Base DMG for Fire? or is it just my Rank in Control Energy that is the DMG?

Yes. The specific type of damage makes no difference in regard to how much it does.
And we by this sole token;
Know we once were gods;
Take shame in being broken;
No matter how great the odds.

RotnSoul
Bystander
Bystander

Postby RotnSoul » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:46 pm

how do I know if something does Lethal or Stun DMG?

elspark
Compatriot
Compatriot

Postby elspark » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:52 pm

Generally speaking, most attacks do Stun damage unless otherwise stated. This is because in the comics, people get shot all the time but don't die from it. For an attack to do either Lethal or Stun damage, it has to have the Dual Damage Power Stunt.

If you're playing a hard-core or more realistic game, make the default damage Lethal.
Token Chaotic Neutral member of JUDGE.
+++
I'm the king of the squirrels!

Greyman
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Greyman » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:57 pm

RotnSoul wrote:how do I know if something does Lethal or Stun DMG?
In 1e you generally choose which type of damage when you purchase the power, based on which fits your character concept best. The Dual Damage power stunt was required in order to be able to switch between lethal and stun. As Elspark mentioned, it often depends on the genre you're playing in; four-colour or grim-and-gritty.

So simply decide whether you want your Fire Controler's blast to be lethal or non-lethal and that's what it will always be, or spend 2pp for the stunt to gain flexibilty.

RotnSoul
Bystander
Bystander

Postby RotnSoul » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:08 pm

thanks for all the help...

I must say I tried to start a game letting everyone start with Power Level 5 and it seems like they are so short handed. I mean everything cost PP, so it seems like if you don't start at like 7 - 10 then you don't have enough PP to make you character a true Super Hero?

I was wondering if I am missing something or is it really that way?

I mean I can't even understand why there are levels 1 - 5 You wouldn't be so weak the game would seem over in no time.???

If I'm wrong about this please explain to me how it works? I started with 75 PP and it just doesn't seem like enough to really stand out. And with all the NPCs being level 10 PP I'm thinking even a large group of Heros would get owned???

Vittek
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Vittek » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:25 pm

The question is: owned by who?
Low levels (1-5, or even 1-9) are for campaigns with few super powers, something like "the charachters are completely human, except for one thing that sets them apart."
The standard starting level is 10. If you find that the lower levels are too weak, well, that's how they are supposed to be. If you want to run such a campaign, than you have to make "weak" villains: even a pl 10 coul be too much for a pl 5 party.

elspark
Compatriot
Compatriot

Postby elspark » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:58 am

However, a "street-level" game (PL 5 or so) is doable. True, maybe they can't fight off the alien invasion, but perhaps they can help the people whose homes are burned down by the death ray. It just means that both you and they have to be a little more creative with your stories.

I recommend picking up a copy of the Annual if you can find one. The very first section is all about PL 5 games, complete with game structures, sample adventures, and several very good sample villains.

+++

Paragon
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Paragon » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:01 am

elspark wrote:However, a "street-level" game (PL 5 or so) is doable. True, maybe they can't fight off the alien invasion, but perhaps they can help the people whose homes are burned down by the death ray. It just means that both you and they have to be a little more creative with your stories.

I think, however, barring exotic powers that there's going to be a sense that the supers aren't very super; after all your attacks are limited to the force of a heavy handgun, and other powers are similarly capped. Some things are very super even at low levels, but a lot of the more straightforward ones, not so much.

Know we once were gods;

Dread Lord
Superhero
Superhero

Postby Dread Lord » Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:45 pm

Paragon wrote:
elspark wrote:However, a "street-level" game (PL 5 or so) is doable. True, maybe they can't fight off the alien invasion, but perhaps they can help the people whose homes are burned down by the death ray. It just means that both you and they have to be a little more creative with your stories.

I think, however, barring exotic powers that there's going to be a sense that the supers aren't very super; after all your attacks are limited to the force of a heavy handgun, and other powers are similarly capped. Some things are very super even at low levels, but a lot of the more straightforward ones, not so much.

This is most true with movement powers. Flight 5, as written, is slower than a normal person can run barring Super Flight. A few people here have House Ruled movement powers so that they grant 10X Rank in feet rather than 5X.

Energy Blast 5 isn't all that bad really, esp. in a low power game. It represemts about the limit of man portable fire power in the palm of your hand.
I sometimes wonder if I've ever made a smart decision.

Paragon
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Paragon » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:47 pm

Dread Lord wrote:Energy Blast 5 isn't all that bad really, esp. in a low power game. It represemts about the limit of man portable fire power in the palm of your hand.

And I'm just saying that a heavy handgun (which did +5 damage in 1e) doesn't seem much of a superpower to me.

Know we once were gods;

elspark
Compatriot
Compatriot

Postby elspark » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:04 am

The Punisher seems to have done well with it.

+++

Paragon
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Paragon » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:26 pm

elspark wrote:The Punisher seems to have done well with it.

And the Punisher isn't much of a superhero; he's essentially indistinguishable most action adventure characters. I can play that kind of character in plenty of non-superhero games.

Know we once were gods;

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (1e)”