sorcery, telephaty and boost, walking

The place to discuss using and abusing the first edition Mutants & Masterminds rules. Rules questions, rules interpretations, house rules, and more rules.
Rickynet
Henchman
Henchman

sorcery, telephaty and boost, walking

Postby Rickynet » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:46 pm

firts anothers question i hope this, will answered soon :)

boost, i have a player and he has boost, he used to the dextery score, reeding the faq it is mentioned superdextery and finesse, can boost allow to add the bonus (dex) to attack?

telephaty, how long is the duration of the "mind chat" half action each "question"

sorcery, i dont understand the sentence "Casting spell duplicates the effects of the listed power at the sorcerer's power rank, including the power's action, range, duration and saving throw", how duplicates a saving throw? taken dazzle for example

action half (duplicated) full?
range normal (duplicated) ?
duration sustained (duplicated) continues?

if the players move 30 feet per action, how is working the 5 feet limit?

Frozen Yakman
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Frozen Yakman » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:23 pm

1) Boost
Boost is an alteration effect so it effects Super-attributes first so Boost (Dex) +X will increase your Super-Dexterity by X or grant Super-Dexterity X if you lack it completely subject to stacking limits. Since Super-Dexterity does not add to attack bonus you cannot gain an attack bonus this way.

2) Telepathy
It requires a half action to start telepathy up but lasts until you want it to stop or you can no longer sustain the power. You make a power check each time you want to use one of the effects, against a willing target I would generally rule that each use of the first two effects are free actions but half actions against unwilling targets. The last two probably longer but those aren't terribly useful in combat so the action time is less important.

3) Sorcery
Basically once you've chosen a spell, using it is equivalent to using the power of the same name. So it takes a half action to use a dazzle power which has a range of normal and an instant duration and requires a reflex saving throw. Sorcery doesn't change these aspects of the power.

I don't understand the last bit.

Rickynet
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Rickynet » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:44 pm

thanks, the last was about the movement

if a player moves (normally) 30 feet per action (as full action), how is the 5 feet limit (move 5 feet in half action)

Rickynet
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Rickynet » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:49 pm

about boost in a ability score i understand that is not equal to super ability score, becouse a player level 16 with a dex 20 have a +5 mod dex, if he boost in dex, dex is 20+16 have a +13 mod dex, if he had super dexteri 16, he has 20 dex and his mod dex is equal to +5+16 (+23), soo boost in a ability score stack or no?

Frozen Yakman
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Frozen Yakman » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:07 pm

Rickynet wrote:thanks, the last was about the movement

if a player moves (normally) 30 feet per action (as full action), how is the 5 feet limit (move 5 feet in half action)

Your speed is how much you can move in a half action.

Assuming no movement powers:
Double Move - Move twice your speed (60 feet) as two half actions
Normal Move - Move you speed as a half action (30 feet)
Sprint - Move 4x your speed as a full action at the cost of your dodge bonus and you can't do it forever

In addition you may take a 5ft step as a free action in a round in which you do not move in your other actions.

Rickynet
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Rickynet » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:12 pm

thanks, only the boost doubt now,

it seem to be the user are returning now
(the forum was down almost 2 weeks)

Frozen Yakman
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Frozen Yakman » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:21 pm

Rickynet wrote:about boost in a ability score i understand that is not equal to super ability score, becouse a player level 16 with a dex 20 have a +5 mod dex, if he boost in dex, dex is 20+16 have a +13 mod dex, if he had super dexteri 16, he has 20 dex and his mod dex is equal to +5+16 (+23), soo boost in a ability score stack or no?

Boost (Dex) +X gives your Super-Dexterity +X OR increases already existing Super-Dexterity by X first before it can ever effect your regular Dexterity.

For example:
PL 10 with dex 14 (+2 mod), Super-Dexterity +3, Boost (Dex) +5

Normally the character has
Defense of 15, Init of +5, reflex save +5, dex skills +5, and ranged attack bonus +2
When the character uses his boost it has
Defense of 20, Init of +10, reflex save +10, dex skills +10, and ranged attack bonus of +2 just as if his Super-Dexterity had raised to +8. His attack bonus does not increase because Super-Dexterity does not provide an attack bonus.

Another example
PL 10 with dex 20, Boost (Dex) +5

Normally the character has
defense 15, init +5, reflex +5, dex skills +5, and ranged attack bonus +5

With Boost activated
defense 20, init +10, reflex +10, dex skills +10, and ranged attack bonus +5

Again treat the character as if he had Super-Dexterity +5 imediately after boosting

Final example
PL 10 with dex 10, super-dexterity +8, boost (dex) +10

Normal
defense 18, init 8, reflex +8, skills +8, ranged attack +0

With boost first the super-dexterity is affected increasing it to super-dexterity +10 (the maximum becuase of the PL) and the rest of the boost (+10 - +2 = +8) increases the regular dexterity bringing it to Dex 18 giving the following stats
defense 24, init +14, reflex +14, skills +14, ranged attack +4

Rickynet
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Rickynet » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:30 pm

ok my mistake (again) i didn't reed the last errata, it say "For ability scores these are ranks in the appropriate super-ability"

thank

and thank to response so quicky

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (1e)”