Question on Stacking rules - NOT Abilities and Powers

The place to discuss using and abusing the first edition Mutants & Masterminds rules. Rules questions, rules interpretations, house rules, and more rules.
ReeboKesh
Comrade
Comrade

Question on Stacking rules - NOT Abilities and Powers

Postby ReeboKesh » Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:29 pm

Hi guys if this has been covered please someone point me to the correct thread.
Anyway I understand the Power Level limit on Stacking Ability score bonuses and Ability enhancing Powers.

BUT does that Power Level limit rule apply for stacking across the board?

For example I'm a PL10 character:

With +10 Damage from Super Strength , can I use Power Attack (5) to increase the damage power to +15?

Can I have 10 ranks in Computer Use, Intelligence 18 (+4) and Datalink Power to have +16 to my Computer Use role?

Can I score a critical hit with my 10 rank Energy Blast and do +15 damage?

If I have Dexterity 18 (+4), +6 Reflex save and I get cover which adds +4 to my save is the final bonus to Reflex +14?

Thanks in advance
P.S. This game is awesome!
Mysterio

Rivalsan
Hireling
Hireling

Stacking Limits

Postby Rivalsan » Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:42 pm

The stacking limits apply only to powers.

So yes, Power Attack does let you get to +15 at PL 10. You pay for it with the loss of accuracy

IIRC, skillwise, the limit is the same as in any D20 game. Your (power) level +3 in ranks. So you could have +13 from ranks, +5 from attributes (+18) a couple from a feat (+20) and +10 from a Super Attribute or Super Skill, for a +30 to a skill easy.

And, honestly? If a PL10 character wanted to have +10 Super-Int and +10 Super-Skill Robotics I'd allow it to stack to +20 - Just not in combat. ;)
Hello, my name is Rivalsan, and I'm a MinMaxaholic. Twelve step programs don't work for us. We keep trying to find a way to do it in ten steps. Or less.. I bet I could squeeze it down to.. *sigh* (Crowd: Hi, Rivalsan)

farik
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Location: I'm lost in some distant part of Nebraska, on a ship -- a LIVING ship

Re: Question on Stacking rules - NOT Abilities and Powers

Postby farik » Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:42 pm

Mysterio wrote:Hi guys if this has been covered please someone point me to the correct thread.
Anyway I understand the Power Level limit on Stacking Ability score bonuses and Ability enhancing Powers.

BUT does that Power Level limit rule apply for stacking across the board?

For example I'm a PL10 character:

With +10 Damage from Super Strength , can I use Power Attack (5) to increase the damage power to +15?

Can I have 10 ranks in Computer Use, Intelligence 18 (+4) and Datalink Power to have +16 to my Computer Use role?

Can I score a critical hit with my 10 rank Energy Blast and do +15 damage?

If I have Dexterity 18 (+4), +6 Reflex save and I get cover which adds +4 to my save is the final bonus to Reflex +14?

Thanks in advance
P.S. This game is awesome!
Mysterio

Just to clarify you're asking about 1e right? (there have been some changes to how PL limits work in the new edition)
One man's hobo booze is another man's fiiiine sippin' wine.

Oh, and by the way, I don't use drawbacks in my game, just complications.

ReeboKesh
Comrade
Comrade

Postby ReeboKesh » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:58 pm

Yeah talking about 1st edition. I thought there was a Forum specifically for 2ed? This is the right Forum right?

Anyway having only started playing M&M a month ago, (had the books for over a year though ;-) I'm in no rush to switch over. I think the sysetm rocks as it is and any improvements can be made with House Rules and the suggestion of the wonderful gamers on these boards!

Mysterio

farik
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Postby farik » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:01 pm

Mysterio wrote:Yeah talking about 1st edition. I thought there was a Forum specifically for 2ed? This is the right Forum right?

Yes but I thought I'd double check since you have a relatively low post count and may have missed the 2e rule forum.

the_masochist
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby the_masochist » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:03 pm

Mysterio wrote:I think the sysetm rocks as it is and any improvements can be made with House Rules and the suggestion of the wonderful gamers on these boards!

ya know, I totally agree, and if you want the cream of the crop, the best suggestions of all the gamers on this board, condensed into one book, with the core rules added? you just need the 2nd edition! :wink:

I have noticed in multiple parts, discussions on the game have found place in the book, even the thread where I attempted to make a supervillian by committe made (in my own eyes) an honoary mention as one of the 100 adventure ideas, and many of the WWYCD: senerios are mentioned as well.

farik
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Postby farik » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:14 pm

the_masochist wrote:and many of the WWYCD: senerios are mentioned as well.

Really?

the_masochist
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby the_masochist » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:22 pm

I'm sure you would be able to reconginze more, but if you read through them all (like me, since I never planned on using one by roll of the dice), you'll notice at least similarities in them.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (1e)”