Jumpships

The place to discuss using and abusing the first edition Mutants & Masterminds rules. Rules questions, rules interpretations, house rules, and more rules.
Cray
Bystander
Bystander

Jumpships

Postby Cray » Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:06 am

I've been trying to create a starship for my supers group and, having been given considerable leeway in designing the ship, I decided to imitate the Kearny Fuchida drive of Battletech in some ways (or the jumplines of Michael McCollum's Antares Dawn/Antares Passage). Basically, the ship will be fairly limited to "jumping" only between two firmly linked "points" in space.

With that concept in mind, the ship fell together pretty easily. I gave the ship Boosters with movement of 15 (32000mph was plenty to reach the jump points near the moon), some Jet movement for atmospheric travel, the VTOL option, and even a little Swimming movement (submarine at 8mph, woo) for a versatile triphibian vehicle that many a supers group would be proud to have in their Tower of Freedom garage (IMO). ESP and some Spot/Search/Listen skill bonuses rounded out a capable sensors suite.

The only stumbling block was interstellar movement, and some input on a stardrive would be appreciated.

The Spaceflight power allowed flight at many times light speed, but that didn't suit the setting. It was too slow to imitate a jump drive except at ridiculous scores (seconds to cover light-years), but also far too versatile (it opened the Solar system to seconds-long interplanetary flight, which doesn't suit the setting).

The Teleportation power would be perfect, but it's too short-ranged.

So, how would you go about modifying a power to allow a vehicle teleport ("jump") only between two fixed locations in different star systems?
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

"Collateral Damage Man is not an appropriate name for a super hero."

The General
Comrade
Comrade

Postby The General » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:02 pm

Perhaps you can put a flaw on Space-Flight?

Space-Flight +X (Flaw: Interstellar Travel Only)

This way you can only travel from one star system to another without having interplanetary travel or any stops in between.

You can SFX the "jump" sequence.

Since your ship has a base movement of 15, I believe your Space-Flight is also at 15 (or 16,384 times the speed of light). You can reduce that number if it's too fast.

One of my favorite adventure ideas is to have the party go off-course and become lost or stranded in an unknown star system.
Someone is going to have to spend time making Computer or Knowledge (Navigation) skill checks (with a high DC) to find the jump coordinates to the nearest star.

If the jump drive is like the K-F drive in Battletech, then you'll need to recharge. This will give the party time to explore that nearby planet...

Hope this helps!

farik
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Location: I'm lost in some distant part of Nebraska, on a ship -- a LIVING ship

Postby farik » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:00 pm

I handle it as extra-dimensional movement.

What does EDM do? take you to another world

What does a jumpdrive do? Take you to another world

What happens when EDM goes wrong? you arrive at a different world than the targeted one.

What happens when a jumpdrive goes wrong? you arrive at a different world than the targeted one.

It's simple it's straightforward and range doesn't matter only the difficulty to navigare jump points matters.
One man's hobo booze is another man's fiiiine sippin' wine.

Oh, and by the way, I don't use drawbacks in my game, just complications.

Cray
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Cray » Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:57 pm

The General wrote:Since your ship has a base movement of 15, I believe your Space-Flight is also at 15 (or 16,384 times the speed of light). You can reduce that number if it's too fast.

It's too slow, but a good start. :)

Half an hour per light-year doesn't mimic the instantaneous nature of jumps.

farik wrote:It's simple it's straightforward and range doesn't matter only the difficulty to navigare jump points matters.

I can work with that. What power level and limitations/extras would you give to the power?

farik
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Postby farik » Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:03 pm

Cray wrote:
farik wrote:It's simple it's straightforward and range doesn't matter only the difficulty to navigare jump points matters.

I can work with that. What power level and limitations/extras would you give to the power?

I'd set the difficulty based on how hard you want it to be to reach a destination then simply make a power check with the ship's jumpdrive. Best part is you can have different DCs for the going and the returning. If you want "chases" then you have straight shot have a higher DC but allow short jumps to have a lower DC so you can try to cut someone off by jumping to a point ahead of them but it will be dangerous.

If you want the pilot to influence the jump then make a new knowledge skill that adds to the power check and increase the DC's accordingly.

The General
Comrade
Comrade

Postby The General » Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:00 pm

farik wrote:I handle it as extra-dimensional movement.

What happens when EDM goes wrong? you arrive at a different world than the targeted one.

What happens when a jumpdrive goes wrong? you arrive at a different world than the targeted one.

It's simple it's straightforward and range doesn't matter only the difficulty to navigare jump points matters.

Is EDM in the rulebook or are you using the Dimensional Travel power as a reference?

farik
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Postby farik » Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:09 pm

The General wrote:
farik wrote:I handle it as extra-dimensional movement.

Is EDM in the rulebook or are you using the Dimensional Travel power as a reference?

EDM = Dimensional Travel. (too many years of using HERO terminology.) :roll:

Cray
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Cray » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:37 am

farik wrote:
Cray wrote:I can work with that. What power level and limitations/extras would you give to the power?

I'd set the difficulty based on how hard you want it to be to reach a destination then simply make a power check with the ship's jumpdrive.

Okay. So the power could be written: Dimensional Travel 1 (Limitation: Jump Points Only), and you'd think DT-1 would be sufficient for 30 light-year jumps?

farik
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Postby farik » Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:27 pm

Cray wrote:
farik wrote:
Cray wrote:I can work with that. What power level and limitations/extras would you give to the power?

I'd set the difficulty based on how hard you want it to be to reach a destination then simply make a power check with the ship's jumpdrive.

Okay. So the power could be written: Dimensional Travel 1 (Limitation: Jump Points Only), and you'd think DT-1 would be sufficient for 30 light-year jumps?

Yep.

In fact at one point (right after I reread the GURPS: Space section on starmaps) I decided the base difficulty would get you to the next closest stellar body. To jump to a more distant stellar body the the DC increased by +1 for each stellar body that was closer than the target point.

This leads to it being much easier to move towards the center of a galaxy and it being much harder to reach the outer edges.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (1e)”