Vehicle combat

The place to discuss using and abusing the first edition Mutants & Masterminds rules. Rules questions, rules interpretations, house rules, and more rules.
miridor
Bystander
Bystander

Vehicle combat

Postby miridor » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:21 pm

Ok what I have been trying to figure out is what values/stats do you use for vehicle combat? How do you determine the defense and to hit of the vehicle?

I'm looking specifically at jet fighter combat. keeping it simple I'm using the example of the jet fighter in the M&M manual. It list Movement, Hardness, Armor, Cost, and Features. Nothing else... Anyone have any idea?
"I love God. He's so deliciously evil."

Evendur
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Evendur » Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:55 am

You may want to pick up Gimmick's Guide To Gadgets, it gives a better detailed version of vehicle creation and what they can do. But here:

Hardness = Damags saving throw bonus
Movement = Vehicles have an hourly speed for outside of combat and a tactial speed for in combat. A jet can move 60ft/round as a half action in combat and 4096mph (Mach 5) outside of combat.
Armor = the save as it is for characters, reduces the damage bonus of attacks made against them

So the jet your looking at has Armor 10 and a plus 12 damage save bonus and can move in combat 60/120/240 (half move, full move, sprint respectively)
H.E.R.O.I.C. Member of the 2nd Rank
Owner of a map to Paradise Island

"See this med-pack? See this gun? These mean the only people dying here today are the ones I kill!" -Field Medic, Cyberpunk Card Game

miridor
Bystander
Bystander

Postby miridor » Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:40 am

Thanks for the response. I did pick up GGG and I'm pretty comfortable with the creation part and the stats given for the fighter. But when it comes to the actual combat what would those stats be? Is the Armor to be used as the Defense also? What about to hit another fighter? Would I use the characters normal defense and ranged attack values, in essence making the fighter jet just a big suit if armor? that just didn't seem right to me. I may be making this more difficult for myself than it actually is, but I just can seem to grasp this.

Evendur
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Evendur » Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:47 am

Defense for a vehicle is base ten, modified by it's size and your dex as far as I knoe. You can pay 3pp to increase defense by 1. And yes, this is basically a suit ow low tech armor b/c it is a jet, and only has guns (I'm just describing the example, yours may be different.)

You use it's defense b/c it is to big and bulky to use your defense like a suit of armor, but your ranged attack values since you are piloting it.

And you just use the armor as if the vehicle has the Armor power

"See this med-pack? See this gun? These mean the only people dying here today are the ones I kill!" -Field Medic, Cyberpunk Card Game

Evendur
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Evendur » Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:47 am

Defense for a vehicle is base ten, modified by it's size and your dex as far as I know. You can pay 3pp to increase defense by 1. And yes, this is basically a suit ow low tech armor b/c it is a jet, and only has guns (I'm just describing the example, yours may be different.)

You use it's defense b/c it is to big and bulky to use your defense like a suit of armor, but your ranged attack values since you are piloting it.

And you just use the armor as if the vehicle has the Armor power

miridor
Bystander
Bystander

Postby miridor » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:00 am

Ah, I knew I was over thinking everything. I thought of using the same rules for a suit of armor. I guess you could also raise the fighters Attack value also to fit the need.

Thanks a lot Evendur, having it all spelled does help.

Evendur
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Evendur » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:01 am

No problem, anything I can do to help out fellow players.

Rickynet
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Rickynet » Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:19 pm

i was with the same problem, bit how i make a roll attack in the vehicule, for attacking with weapons, what is the attack base, the mod size i have, and the wepons mod too, but if it is like a player, what the attack base? how i do the make attack?

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (1e)”