Duplication: Good Combo power suggestions? 1E

The place to discuss using and abusing the first edition Mutants & Masterminds rules. Rules questions, rules interpretations, house rules, and more rules.
Fey
Sidekick
Sidekick

Duplication: Good Combo power suggestions? 1E

Postby Fey » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:04 pm

Hey all,

I was wondering what you would suggest a good combat combo would be while using the Duplication power?

Duplication & Weapon?
& Drain?
& ???

I'd be interested in your ideas. 1e suggestions only for now please.
I haven't even started updating myself for 2e yet!

For Queen and Country
Bystander
Bystander

Postby For Queen and Country » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:17 pm

Personally I think duplication and drain would be very cool, as long as you can get all the duplicants out. Having a ranged weapon is good, as you can make a one man squad of soldiers...technically.

Or how about having illusions with the Area extra, creating huge areas of illusion.

Quin Valec
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Quin Valec » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:23 pm

I played a character once who had Duplication with Triggered Shrinking so he could turn into eight tiny copies of himself.

One idea I haven't gotten around to using yet is Alternate Form: Explosive Triggered with Duplication to create a character I like to call Nuclear Fission.

Fey
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Fey » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:43 pm

Wait...

Alt Form PL10 Triggered to Duplication...

So... would that work like this?

Rnd 1: Dup1 Boom 10 Dmg
Rnd 2: Dup2 Boom 10 Dmg (orig), 9 Dmg Dup1
Rnd 3: Dup3 Boom 10 Dmg (orig), 8 Dmg Dup1, 8 Dmg Dup2
Rnd 4: Dup4 Boom 10 Dmg (orig), 7 Dmg Dup1, 7 Dmg Dup2, 7 Dmg Dup3

and so on?

Because that would just be nucleariffic

Evendur
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Evendur » Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:03 pm

How about Duplication and Alternate Form with multiple forms so that each character has a different form. Maybe add a flaw to alternate form so that no versions of you can have the same alternate form up
H.E.R.O.I.C. Member of the 2nd Rank
Owner of a map to Paradise Island

"See this med-pack? See this gun? These mean the only people dying here today are the ones I kill!" -Field Medic, Cyberpunk Card Game

Shepherd
Hireling
Hireling

Postby Shepherd » Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:35 pm

Quin Valec wrote:I played a character once who had Duplication with Triggered Shrinking so he could turn into eight tiny copies of himself.

MULTIPLEX!!!!!!!!!!!!

Original-series Firestorm is one of the greatest comics EVER.
Writer, Man-Man Comics
Superhero parody par excellence!

Kid Carom
Collaborator
Collaborator

Postby Kid Carom » Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:29 pm

I have a player in my current M&M game that uses the brutal combination of Duplication and Luck (extras: Jinx and Bestow Luck). It is a very effective combo. :D
Putting the "er..." in Superhero!

Anthony
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Anthony » Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:43 pm

Duplication and Possession, linked together. Rather than directly possessing people, you're just copying yourself into their minds.

Shadow
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Shadow » Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:24 pm

Thats agent smith :D from matrix.

the_masochist
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby the_masochist » Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:56 pm

I disagree, I think that Agent Smith (although it appears to be duplication) is really just turning other people into agent smith, so that would be more along the lines of Transformation (extras mental, exact, mimic, flaws limited only Agent Smith, limited range,) since the duplicates could also 'duplicate' other people, something the duplication power couldn't do.

but, for interesting powers? 10 ranks in marksmen, autofire, multifire. hmm... five attacks from 10 people? ouch...

the_masochist
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby the_masochist » Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:27 am

In my Group, we rarely allow Duplication, just because when we started playing, we all had it. It is a good power, afterall, and most any power have along side of it creates a devastating combo. a character I had was called TaskForce and explained how massive amounts of damage is dealt to cities when crisis strikes and always seems to look as good as new the next day. because my swarm of duplicates (I usually had about 60 waiting at base on call) did nothing but go from place to place fixing things up. with create object, shape matter and three ranks of super speed, they got things cleaned up pretty damn quick.

Fey
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Fey » Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:32 am

I thought the rules said that all your duplicates powers are reduced by 1 for every duplicate beyond the 1st. So if your PL10 you can have 1 duplicate with powers equal to your own. 2 Duplicates with PL9, 3 with PL 8 and so on.

The horde extra just means you can create a massive supply of minor minions at a much greater cost than the minion feat. I thought that was kind of dumb actually. Why pay 10 pp for the chance of 20 PL 1 (does it go to PL0?) minions when you can pay 2pp and if you have any charisma or leadership etc you can have a the same 20 minions along with 2 PL2 and 1 PL3 minions.

The power states that all your gear is replicated. So what if you have a PL 10 Weapon? What happens to it? The book reads:
You can create duplicates of yourself, including any devices you have paid for with power points.

Your duplicates have the same abilities as you except no bonus or rank can be higher than your Duplication rank.

if you accept a penalty on your Duplication rank (reducing the maximum abilities of your duplicates) you can create one additional duplicate per rank reduced.

But what about a paid weapon? Does an autocannon get turned into a dozen slingshots? Does your assualt rifle get divided into cap guns? Weapon is listed as a power but it is also listed as equipment.

farik
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Location: I'm lost in some distant part of Nebraska, on a ship -- a LIVING ship

Postby farik » Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:37 am

The reduction in power only occured if you tried to make multiple duplicates at once. As long as you take the time to only make 1 per round they can all have maximum bonuses equal to the duplicators rank.
One man's hobo booze is another man's fiiiine sippin' wine.

Oh, and by the way, I don't use drawbacks in my game, just complications.

Fey
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Fey » Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:42 am

Really???? Holy COW! I thought it was tough enough the other way around but geesh.
So in the rush job cases what happens to the weapons?

Also - more of a philosophical game feel question for you...

What's the life of a duplicate? They're you right? Well how would you feel if you found out your existence is temporary until the next time the "real" you gets knocked out or takes a nap?

When you end duplicates and create new ones would the same duplicates come back?

When you end a duplicate do you acquire any information that they might have picked up on their journey? I mean what if one duplicate was reading a really good book you've been meaning to finish forever?

Shepherd
Hireling
Hireling

Postby Shepherd » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:39 am

Read "Madrox," from Marvel. Peter David does a great job of looking at a lot of this stuff.
Writer, Man-Man Comics

Superhero parody par excellence!

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (1e)”