Diff Attributes for Atk/Dmg/Save- study

The place to discuss using and abusing the first edition Mutants & Masterminds rules. Rules questions, rules interpretations, house rules, and more rules.
Tagnik
Groupie
Groupie

Diff Attributes for Atk/Dmg/Save- study

Postby Tagnik » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:09 am

This is something I've just been compiling to get a better understanding of how things work in 1e.

Dexterity based Melee attack bonus - Feat (Attack Finesse), or No Strength

Strength based Melee Attack bonus - Normal

Strength based Ranged Attack bonus - None

Strength based Melee attack bonus - Normal

Intelligence based Ranged Attack bonus - No Dexterity

Wisdom based Ranged Attack Bonus - Extra w/ Will Save, Range Change. (Mental - changes Range, and Save, 2 effects)

Changing Saves between Fort/Will/Reflex - Free

Changing Damage Saves to F/W/R - Extra (Basically adding +5 to the Save)

Dexterity based Melee Damage - None

Strength based Melee Damage - Normal

Dexterity based Ranged Damage - None or Feat (Throwing Mastery?)

Strength based Ranged Damage - Extra (Mighty), Thrown Weapon (Free)

Dexterity based Damage Save - Feat (Evasion)

Constitution based Damage Save - Normal

It seams using a Feat allows you the option of using either Dex or Str when using an Attack, but if the power naturally only used Dex or Strength, its free. Possibly only allow it as a feat, because usually when this feat is taken, it is so that you will never have to use your weaker attribute to attack with (Unless you are neutralized). But again, the Feat seems to say that you can have two "Firing Modes". One that uses One attribute, or another. Linking a Created Power to only One attribute seems to be free.

Ranged damage using an attribute seems to constitute an Extra - Mighty for Str for example. As does changing the "Range" Which is why Mental Blast costs 3. 1 for the Range change, 1 for the Damage Save (Will) change. So it would seem that just creating a power that uses Wisdom as its attack bonus is free, the extras are in the range and damage. Mental Blast does not allow two "firing modes" so you cannot use your Dexterity to attack with it, therefore not using a Feat.

The idea of firing a Cannon, to me, doesn't seem to use Dexterity at all. Its a matter of aiming and trajectory, constituting an "Intelligence Check" or using Intelligence bonus for your attack roll. Since you would never really use your Dexterity, I don't see a Feat Necessary to allow the two firing modes.

So let's say you have "Big Walrus Girlfriend". A Giant-Sized Large Woman who may have high Strength, but bad Dexterity. She suffers by having no defense and no dexterity skills. She wants to attack you with her Annoying Scream attack. I would write it up as this.

Scream Attack (Sonic) - Charisma based Energy Blast (2pp), then her scream is so loud that it does extra damage (Extra: Intimidatingly-Mighty (Charisma), Change the Save to a Damage (Will) Save) and that is a 4pp/r Power. The Range is Normal.
Or add a Power Stunt that changes the ranged attack to Charisma instead of Dexterity if you don't agree the switch is free.

Changing Ability Score use for Damage Saves uses a Feat I'm guessing because it forces the Power to use the Save you want, unless it cannot be evaded.

Having Feats for Damage Save and Attack Bonus changes seems to make these attack more susceptible to Drain, because the Feat can be drained.

My conclusion seems that in Power Creation, you can set which Attribute the Power uses to attack with, for free. You cannot use Feats to change the Attribute once it has been picked for this power (unless its normal Dex/Ranged, Str/Melee depending on the Special Effect).

Setting the Attribute Damage Bonus the Power uses at Melee Range is Free, Adding Damage at Range using whichever Attribute is an Extra if it is a different Attribute (IE Mighty Extra) or 2 Extras if it uses the Same Attribute it Attacked with (Adding Dex bonus to the Damage). (I am still iffy in this area if the 2 Extras is too much, or if it should just be one extra, advice here would be good. :) )

Okay long post. I'm done.

the_masochist
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby the_masochist » Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:04 pm

you really put a lot of work into this, and I am obliged to say Great Job!

Unfortunately, this has all been done for nothing, as 2ed is built around the point that attributes don't effect combat... (at least directly)

Tagnik
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Tagnik » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:51 pm

Its okay cuz I'm not going to get 2e cuz its too complicated. :)

I just want something simple that I can edit.

Tagnik
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Tagnik » Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:26 am

*Bump* I wish Steve was around :P

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (1e)”