handle boost

The place to discuss using and abusing the first edition Mutants & Masterminds rules. Rules questions, rules interpretations, house rules, and more rules.
Rickynet
Henchman
Henchman

handle boost

Postby Rickynet » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:55 am

how do you handle boost, my players take that and they choose the extra all atributes, to increase all the powers, and they have many high ranked powers, they realize that the cost of boost it is cheaper than the cost of your highest power

Evendur
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Evendur » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:12 am

the same way you handle any power stacking. It can't go past your PL in poe bonuses. If they all want the ability to charge like DBZ warrior, then have then take lower ranks in the powers and higher ranks in boost
H.E.R.O.I.C. Member of the 2nd Rank
Owner of a map to Paradise Island

"See this med-pack? See this gun? These mean the only people dying here today are the ones I kill!" -Field Medic, Cyberpunk Card Game

Frozen Yakman
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Frozen Yakman » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:38 am

I handle it by saying, "no," to things that are obviously abusive. Build to concept not to points.

Evendur
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Evendur » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:41 am

In restrospect, I agree with Frozen. If it isn't part of the character dont let them have it. Plus if they ever lost the ability to boost, it could seriously hurt the party's ability to perfrom the adventure's required tasks
H.E.R.O.I.C. Member of the 2nd Rank

Owner of a map to Paradise Island

"See this med-pack? See this gun? These mean the only people dying here today are the ones I kill!" -Field Medic, Cyberpunk Card Game

Rivalsan
Hireling
Hireling

Neutralize

Postby Rivalsan » Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:01 pm

There's the answer. Zap, they lose their power. Then pow, they're flattened.

Also, honestly? +1 pp/rank to be able to affect 5-6 powers is abusive.
Solve this by every use of boost giving its base cost in pp to spread across the powers it uses... This is more 'Dragonbally' (GOD, I hate Drag-on-and-on-and-on-and-on Ball) as they'd have to spend multiple rounds roar-groaning while glowing to make their hair blonde.

Also, don't let Boost (Its 2 pp/rank, isn't it?) for 5 ranks raise a 6 pp/rank power by 5 pts.

Basically, Boost = Bad Power. I don't allow it except in VERY limited circumstances, and I'd never allow that +1 all mutant powers. BULLSH*T.
Hello, my name is Rivalsan, and I'm a MinMaxaholic. Twelve step programs don't work for us. We keep trying to find a way to do it in ten steps. Or less.. I bet I could squeeze it down to.. *sigh* (Crowd: Hi, Rivalsan)

Frozen Yakman
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Frozen Yakman » Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:07 pm

Also remember Boost can really slow down a character. They get one use of a power at full boosted strength before it drops a rank. They're going to be spending half-actions every coupld turns that could be used for something more useful just to keep in fighting form.

Rickynet
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Rickynet » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:52 pm

ok thanks, you give me some ideas to use in the next session, to apply one house rules

the_masochist
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby the_masochist » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:24 am

I think if you try to use boost all attributes and boost mutant abilities, they have to choose one or the other, boost all physical scores or boost the mutant ablities.

Rickynet
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Rickynet » Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:55 am

they choose all atributes to increase they powers, i'm thinking a house rule like the transfer power, taking extra to increase the cost of power, choose cost power lower and no highest, then they can't increase his hightest power, like taking atomic control (9 power point per level) in 1 rank, and take boost ( 2 power point per level) in 10 rank for atomic control, i will design a rule that increast the power that cost 5 power point per level minimun

the_masochist
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby the_masochist » Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:50 pm

I hope in 2ed, boost, transfer and drain will all be powerpoint dependant, I.E. if you have 1 rank in atomic energy control at 10 points per rank and 20 points in boost, you would only gain 2 ranks in atomic energy. this would be capped by PL of course, but I feel it would make my character more balanced.

right now, The Masochist works on the idea that if you deal Leathal damage to him, his forcefield (with an energy field free extra) is boosted to 7 ranks, he also has five ranks in regeneration, so every other turn, he takes off one of his leathal hits. This represents my concept really well, but fades the game play when I tend to Kill off opponents because they have been busy beating on a man on fire, rather then my own force.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (1e)”