Magic Missle?

The place to discuss using and abusing the first edition Mutants & Masterminds rules. Rules questions, rules interpretations, house rules, and more rules.
Tagnik
Groupie
Groupie

Magic Missle?

Postby Tagnik » Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:20 pm

How would you make it?

Farik had a pretty good idea of making a Selective Area attack, the multiple missles are just a SFX.

My problem with that was the reflex save to half it.

someone else said something, but I forgot.

Any help guys?

Setothes
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Setothes » Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:55 pm

Magic Missile is an odd one.

Perhaps a custom Extra could be;

Incremental - The ranks of damage / effect can be spread out among multiple targets within range. Treat the attack as if it had the Area Extra, but each Rank of the attack must be assigned individually and only affects a single target (one target can receive multiple increments, however). There is no Reflex save to reduce the effect of an Incremental attack.

(So, like Area, with the plus of no Reflex save, and the minus of having to divy the attack ranks among potential targets in the area. It has advantages of both Area and Selective, but is, IMO, sufficiently limited by the requirement to divide the ranks out. It has an advantage over Autofire or Multifire in that it isn't penalized to hit (and, in fact, doesn't even have to roll to hit), but, again, is limited in how much damage it can dish out.)

Example: Leminkainen, Mordenkainen's long-lost brother, has 8 ranks of 'Magic Missle.' (Energy Blast: Kinetic (Stun damage) (Extras: Incremental, Ghost Touch) +8)

He see Rant, Rave and eight henchmen holding up a bank, and decides to try and take the minions out of the fray quickly, before they get any bright hostage-taking ideas. Using a half-action, he invokes his spell and sends a +1 Energy Blast attack against each of the eight henchmen.

Alternately, he could try to take out both of the lead villains in a single shot, giving each a +4 Energy Blast, and, if that works, intimidate the now leaderless goons into surrendering.

Adding the Incremental Extra to a non-damaging effect, such as Transformation or Dazzle would allow one to spread this effect over multiple targets, at the cost of making the save DC extremely low, compared to ones PL (so it might be useful to Dazzle a pack of minions, but not likely to be of any use spread across a rival team of PL-appropriate adversaries).

A character aping an AD&D spellcaster would likely have quite an assortment of Power Stunts, and based on their Extras and / or Flaws, their level would vary from his Sorcery level considerably;

'Shocking Grasp' - Energy Blast: Electrical (Lethal, Flaw: Touch range)
'Fireball' - Energy Blast: Fire (Lethal, Extra: Area)
'Melf's Acid Arrow' - Energy Blast: Chemical (Lethal, Extra: Continuing Damage (new save with a cumulative +1 bonus each round until it ends))
'Searing Light' - Energy Blast: Light (Lethal, Extra: Multifire)

Even assuming that he pays for one Extra to Sorcery (say Fireball is his 'base' Offensive spell, so all of his Offensive spell Power Stunts can have one Extra 'free'), 'Magic Missile' has *two* Extras (Ghost Touch and Incremental) and would only be 2/3rds his Sorcery ranks!

But since 'Shocking Grasp' has a Flaw, but no Extras, it could be *higher* than his Sorcery ranks (with the GMs permission!), up to PL maximum!

the_masochist
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby the_masochist » Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:16 am

I like this idea, better then my trigger effect one. energy blast (ghost touch, triggered [when this attack misses]) so if it misses it just keeps retrying until it hits.

Rivalsan
Hireling
Hireling

Hmm.

Postby Rivalsan » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:30 am

Wouldn't it be easier to model as

Extra: Area Effect
Extra: Selective
Flaw: PL reduced by 1 for every target after the first, to a maximum of Rank targets

There's no way in a real game to make a doesn't miss attack. Magic Missile exists just to keep L1 magic users quasi alive and useful.

"I attack the Darkness!"
Hello, my name is Rivalsan, and I'm a MinMaxaholic. Twelve step programs don't work for us. We keep trying to find a way to do it in ten steps. Or less.. I bet I could squeeze it down to.. *sigh* (Crowd: Hi, Rivalsan)

Steve Kenson
Mastermind

Postby Steve Kenson » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:36 am

Blast 1 (magic missile, Perception range), Cost: 3 points

A pretty good approximation of magic missile in M&M 2e. 8)
Steve Kenson - steve@greenronin.com
Green Ronin Publishing

the_masochist
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby the_masochist » Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:03 pm

perception range is pretty much out of my Perception range... when was this added?

::smacks forehead loudly::

duh, nevermind

Tagnik
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Tagnik » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:04 pm

Energy Blast: Extra Energy Blast, Energy Blast, Area, Selective

How's that Farik?

and then add Multi or Auto fire..

you'd be a machine gun!

but you'd still have those pesky to-hit rolls and reflex saves.

farik
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Location: I'm lost in some distant part of Nebraska, on a ship -- a LIVING ship

Postby farik » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:23 pm

Perception range I assume replaces range: sight. It removes any to hit penalties from range meaning it's equallt easy to hit anything you can see no matter how far away it is.
One man's hobo booze is another man's fiiiine sippin' wine.

Oh, and by the way, I don't use drawbacks in my game, just complications.

Rune
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Rune » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:45 pm

Could you take the Mental extra to obviate the need for an attack roll, but still apply the Damage save rather than the will save?

Say, a new Extra called Accurate; No attack roll neccesary, Mental Attacks include this for free.
Rune

Zelda's Axiom
Whenever somebody tells you about "the five hundred ancient talismans" or "the nine legendary crystals" or whatever, you can be quite confident that Saving the World will require you to go out and find every last one of them.

farik
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Location: I'm lost in some distant part of Nebraska, on a ship -- a LIVING ship

Postby farik » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:48 pm

Rune wrote:Could you take the Mental extra to obviate the need for an attack roll, but still apply the Damage save rather than the will save?

Say, a new Extra called Accurate; No attack roll neccesary, Mental Attacks include this for free.

Mental attacks still make an attack roll it's just based on will instead of dex.
One man's hobo booze is another man's fiiiine sippin' wine.

Oh, and by the way, I don't use drawbacks in my game, just complications.

tomorrow
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby tomorrow » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:10 pm

Buy it as (for Magic Missile's optimal effect at higher levels):

Energy Blast +6 [Extras: Action-Free, Autofire, Homing, Range-Sight, Multi-Fire; Linked Feats: Accurate Attack (Extras: Attack Focus, Multi-Shot, Point Black Shot, Rapid Shot; Flaws: Always Only; Full Effect); Source: Mystical; Cost: 6pp; Total: 38pp]

Tagnik
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Tagnik » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:01 pm

What the..

tomorrow
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby tomorrow » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:17 pm

Just an idea...

Superfreak
Champion
Champion

Postby Superfreak » Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:14 pm

A pretty good approximation of magic missile in M&M 2e.

HELLO!!! Did nobody else see this? Are we hearing that M&M2e might contain D&D spell list conversions/approximations? THe little smiley face with sunglasses suggests something more is up than just an entry that happens to share the same name as the D&D spell, but has nothing to do with it.
Superfreaking Out.

Tagnik
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Tagnik » Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:24 pm

Way to jump to conclusions.

I think he was just helping :)

For some reason, I think the "ENergyblast extra: Energy Blast, energyblast " etc is something that should be illegal. Kinda messed up. Or they don't stack for sure.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (1e)”