How to handle this situation?

The place to discuss using and abusing the first edition Mutants & Masterminds rules. Rules questions, rules interpretations, house rules, and more rules.
pjrake
Groupie
Groupie

How to handle this situation?

Postby pjrake » Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:50 am

A PC with Weapon - Claws (like Wolverine) was falling from a great distance and wanted to "catch" himself by piercing the side of the wall with his claws.

How would I do this rules-wise? What I decided was for him to make a Fort save DC 15, but I know that was not the right choice. I also had him make a Dmg save DC 20 (15 + 5 for 50 feet of falling) to simulate an abrupt stop.

What would other GM's handled this situation? Thanks.

PJ

Grendal
Collaborator
Collaborator

Re: How to handle this situation?

Postby Grendal » Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:32 am

pjrake wrote:A PC with Weapon - Claws (like Wolverine) was falling from a great distance and wanted to "catch" himself by piercing the side of the wall with his claws.

How would I do this rules-wise? What I decided was for him to make a Fort save DC 15, but I know that was not the right choice. I also had him make a Dmg save DC 20 (15 + 5 for 50 feet of falling) to simulate an abrupt stop.

What would other GM's handled this situation? Thanks.

PJ

Use a hero point to get a power stunt: Clinging.

Grendel
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Grendel » Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:34 am

I just would have had him spend a hero point and make a strength role. And I'd allow nearly anything on the Strength role as long as he didn't FUBAR it up to bad. If he spent a hero point, it was in character, and it'd look cool and comic bookish, I say go for it.
That's not a good start, but keep going.
-Ron Burgandy

Rivalsan
Hireling
Hireling

Agree

Postby Rivalsan » Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:03 am

Definitely - Spend a hero point, and pull off the stunt.

Question though - If its wolverine like, is it the Weapon power (Which is a device) or Natural Weapon? If he's got it as Weapon, it'd be an independant object.

One of those neat things they fix with 2e. ;) Slow Fall and Clinging = Spidey. :)
Hello, my name is Rivalsan, and I'm a MinMaxaholic. Twelve step programs don't work for us. We keep trying to find a way to do it in ten steps. Or less.. I bet I could squeeze it down to.. *sigh* (Crowd: Hi, Rivalsan)

Emerald Flame
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Emerald Flame » Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:06 am

It would make sense to use a Hero Point and have him make a Reflex Save.
I would use the potential damage from the fall as the TN for the REF save. If he beats it.. then he stops himself.. If he fails, then you subtract his roll from the damage. This way, it represents him scraping and striking with his claws to slow himself. If he is good enough he stops himself. If not... at least he was able to slow his fall so he does not become road pizza.

Just an idea.
Emerald Flame's 3e Builds
Emerald Flame's 2e Misc. Builds

The ultimate measure of a person is not where they stand in moments of comfort, but where they stand at times of challenge and controversy. -Martin Luther King, Jr.-

farik
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Location: I'm lost in some distant part of Nebraska, on a ship -- a LIVING ship

Postby farik » Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:18 am

Emerald Flame wrote:It would make sense to use a Hero Point and have him make a Reflex Save.
I would use the potential damage from the fall as the TN for the REF save. If he beats it.. then he stops himself.. If he fails, then you subtract his roll from the damage. This way, it represents him scraping and striking with his claws to slow himself. If he is good enough he stops himself. If not... at least he was able to slow his fall so he does not become road pizza.

Just an idea.

By TN I assume you mean DC. I commend you on this solution though it's very simlar to what I'd do since it generates the power (clinging) with the Hero Point and then has a nice mechanic fo instigating the power. Now if the person was just sliding down a surface I wouldn't require the Ref save (I might require a Dex check if the surface was extremely slick).
One man's hobo booze is another man's fiiiine sippin' wine.

Oh, and by the way, I don't use drawbacks in my game, just complications.

Emerald Flame
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Emerald Flame » Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:27 am

[quote="farik] By TN I assume you mean DC. [/quote] Oops... Yes, that was the meaning I intended.

[quote="farik] I commend you on this solution though it's very simlar to what I'd do since it generates the power (clinging) with the Hero Point and then has a nice mechanic fo instigating the power. Now if the person was just sliding down a surface I wouldn't require the Ref save (I might require a Dex check if the surface was extremely slick).[/quote]

Thank You...Different paths, same destinations...

This is the one thing that I like about the game system. It is flexible enough to allow for various different solutions and not restrict the players to one and only one way.
Emerald Flame's 3e Builds
Emerald Flame's 2e Misc. Builds

The ultimate measure of a person is not where they stand in moments of comfort, but where they stand at times of challenge and controversy. -Martin Luther King, Jr.-

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (1e)”