Flamability

The place to discuss using and abusing the first edition Mutants & Masterminds rules. Rules questions, rules interpretations, house rules, and more rules.
BlackDragon1200
Zealot
Zealot
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australasia, Earth, Sol, Orion, Milky Way...

Flamability

Postby BlackDragon1200 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:12 am

OK, so i haven't got an answer from Steve yet in the Official Rules Forum but i need one in the next 24 hours so here's the question:

One of my players wants the weakness that their character is highly flammable. At first I thought this would be easy as they could just take the vulnerable weakness but then my player pointed out to me that vulnerable didn’t cover catching on fire and burning until they were put out. Maybe I just missed it but I have looked over the entire book and haven’t been able to find anything about characters catching on fire. So how would you handle burning characters and the weakness of being highly flammable?

Thanks!
Fear is the mind killer...

darktouch
Hero
Hero

Postby darktouch » Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:40 am

Well, at the simplest level, I'd just take it as Susceptible to Fire.. ie. The character can only roll 1d20 vs fire damage.. no bonuses ever.

If you wanted to go full out.. I'd say that when exposed to fire, characters must make a reflex save to avoid catching on fire. If they are on fire they can make additional reflex saves as a move action to put it out. Characters who are on fire must make a damage save against half the original fire's damage( So a +10L Fire Blast requires +5L saves on fire).. Standard D20 is pretty forgiving when it comes to being on fire so you might just require a DC 15 damage save.

If the above is a standard rule for all characters, then your flammable character only rolls 1d20 for those saves and cannot add anything.

darktouch
Hero
Hero

Postby darktouch » Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:49 am

Of course it occurs to me after the fact that you're actually adding power to a fire attack by doing this.

Energy Blast(Fire) +10 [20PP]
Extra: Duration(Sustained) +5 [+5PP]
Extra: Contagious +5 [+5PP]

Evendur
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Evendur » Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:19 am

I agree with darktouch, that seems like a pretty good way to do it excep that you want Vulnerable to Fire. Susceptible is like Superman and Kryptonite
H.E.R.O.I.C. Member of the 2nd Rank
Owner of a map to Paradise Island

"See this med-pack? See this gun? These mean the only people dying here today are the ones I kill!" -Field Medic, Cyberpunk Card Game

BlackDragon1200
Zealot
Zealot
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australasia, Earth, Sol, Orion, Milky Way...

Postby BlackDragon1200 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:08 am

The concept the player is going for is a hero whos body is completely made out of tar (this is actually the reason why i was developing the "Sticky" power). She pointed out that tar is highly flammable and even something as small as a lighter should have a chance of setting the character alight (though i would probably make those chances quite slim).

darktouch
Hero
Hero

Postby darktouch » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:59 am

Here's a question: Is it bad that she has gone up in flame? Does it hurt her at all?

Dirigible
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Dirigible » Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:14 pm

Check out the difference between Vulnerability to Susceptible.

If not, darktouch's first idea looks fine to me. Sure, it's 'adding power to fire attacks', but it's a weakness. It's supposed to make you suffer.

the_masochist
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby the_masochist » Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:33 pm

hmm... ponder ponder ponder...

maybe it doesn't affect her at all? I think it would be kinda interesting to have the alternate form (energy[fire]) with the flaw of needing a source... you probably could add a damaging flaw to it also, but... hmm... ponder ponder ponder... dunno... kinda cool idea though...

Greyman
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Greyman » Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:08 pm

You've already created your own Sticky power, so there's no reason you cannot create your own Flamable weakness. I'd suggest basing it on the Catching on Fire rules in D&D.
the D&D 3.5 SRD: wrote:Catching on Fire
Characters exposed to burning oil, bonfires, and noninstantaneous magic fires might find their clothes, hair, or equipment on fire. Spells with an instantaneous duration don’t normally set a character on fire, since the heat and flame from these come and go in a flash.

Characters at risk of catching fire are allowed a DC 15 Reflex save to avoid this fate. If a character’s clothes or hair catch fire, he takes 1d6 points of damage immediately. In each subsequent round, the burning character must make another Reflex saving throw. Failure means he takes another 1d6 points of damage that round. Success means that the fire has gone out. (That is, once he succeeds on his saving throw, he’s no longer on fire.)

A character on fire may automatically extinguish the flames by jumping into enough water to douse himself. If no body of water is at hand, rolling on the ground or smothering the fire with cloaks or the like permits the character another save with a +4 bonus.

Those unlucky enough to have their clothes or equipment catch fire must make DC 15 Reflex saves for each item. Flammable items that fail take the same amount of damage as the character.
Perhaps something like this. Tweak it to suit your taste.

Flameable: Your character is highly susseptable to catching on fire. When exposed to an open flame, or fire based damaging power (such as Fire Blast), your character catches on fire. On that round, and each subsequent rounds, the character must make a Reflex save against DC 15. Success means that she has managed to douse the flames. Failure means she takes lethal damage as if she failes a Damage save (a lethal hit, or worse, depending on the degree of failure). Lethal and Non lethal hits are applied as penalties to this save.

BlackDragon1200
Zealot
Zealot

Postby BlackDragon1200 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:08 pm

Greyman wrote:Flameable: Your character is highly susseptable to catching on fire. When exposed to an open flame, or fire based damaging power (such as Fire Blast), your character catches on fire. On that round, and each subsequent rounds, the character must make a Reflex save against DC 15. Success means that she has managed to douse the flames. Failure means she takes lethal damage as if she failes a Damage save (a lethal hit, or worse, depending on the degree of failure). Lethal and Non lethal hits are applied as penalties to this save.

Sounds good.

How about:
Minor - Reflex Save DC 10
Moderate - Reflex Save DC 15
Major - Reflex Save DC 20

Or do you think DC 20 is too high even for a Major Weakness?

Also are you treating the reflex save like a damage save i.e. degree of failure of the reflex save?

Greyman
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Greyman » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:51 pm

The DCs seem about right. Of course, they'd have to be playtested against the benefits gained (both the extra points and any free damaging aura effect). I do think, though, that the damage to others should be established as being insignificant, since this is being designed as a drawback for a "tarbaby" with a Sticky power, and not set up as part of a grapple and self-immolation attack combo.

BlackDragon1200 wrote:Also are you treating the reflex save like a damage save i.e. degree of failure of the reflex save?
Yes, as I stated.
Greyman wrote:(a lethal hit, or worse, depending on the degree of failure).
Perhaps that should be made clearer though.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (1e)”