Incorp. vs. Force Field "Force Blast"

The place to discuss using and abusing the first edition Mutants & Masterminds rules. Rules questions, rules interpretations, house rules, and more rules.
Shepherd
Hireling
Hireling

Incorp. vs. Force Field "Force Blast"

Postby Shepherd » Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:22 am

Incorporeal characters must pass a 10+Force Field Rank check to pass through a Force Field.

I assume if the Force Field is offensive, they will have to make a damage save if they fail that check.

What about offensive uses of the Force Field? The Force Blast is obvious, there's also the suffocation extra.

I'd say Forcey attacks Ghosty with a +6 Force Blast. First, Forcey rolls a ranged attack... and hits! Then Ghosty does an incorp. check ... and totals under 16! So Ghosty does a DMG save vs. 21 (15 + 6 FF).

That sound about right?
Writer, Man-Man Comics
Superhero parody par excellence!

farik
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Location: I'm lost in some distant part of Nebraska, on a ship -- a LIVING ship

Re: Incorp. vs. Force Field "Force Blast"

Postby farik » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:18 am

Shepherd wrote:Incorporeal characters must pass a 10+Force Field Rank check to pass through a Force Field.

I assume if the Force Field is offensive, they will have to make a damage save if they fail that check.

What about offensive uses of the Force Field? The Force Blast is obvious, there's also the suffocation extra.

I'd say Forcey attacks Ghosty with a +6 Force Blast. First, Forcey rolls a ranged attack... and hits! Then Ghosty does an incorp. check ... and totals under 16! So Ghosty does a DMG save vs. 21 (15 + 6 FF).

That sound about right?

Not in my opinion. Personally I don't think the force blast gets the same ghost touch benifit as the forcefield. My reasoning being that extras normally apply to a single effect not the whole power.

my $0.02
One man's hobo booze is another man's fiiiine sippin' wine.

Oh, and by the way, I don't use drawbacks in my game, just complications.

Shepherd
Hireling
Hireling

Postby Shepherd » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:29 am

Hmm. I see your point, but I can't make it work logically. If it's made of the same "stuff," why would the Incorp. get a free pass against it?
Writer, Man-Man Comics

farik
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Location: I'm lost in some distant part of Nebraska, on a ship -- a LIVING ship

Postby farik » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:14 am

Shepherd wrote:Hmm. I see your point, but I can't make it work logically. If it's made of the same "stuff," why would the Incorp. get a free pass against it?

Your confusing game mechanics with campaign consistency.

To make it work you'd just need to pay for the ghost touch extra on the attack and then you don't even have to roll. You could even handle it as power stunt and simply decrease the ranks of the energy blast to pay for the ghost touch extra.
One man's hobo booze is another man's fiiiine sippin' wine.

Oh, and by the way, I don't use drawbacks in my game, just complications.

Shepherd
Hireling
Hireling

Postby Shepherd » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:49 am

The ghost touch extra is a great idea that I'll probably implement, but I can't quite swallow the rules-trump-logic argument. If you can't phase through substance X, you can't phase through substance X.

So: without GT extra, an Incorp. save, with GT extra, no incorp. save. I think that's what I'll go with.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Writer, Man-Man Comics

ronalmb
Henchman
Henchman

Postby ronalmb » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:34 am

Without knowing the FX for the damaging aspect of the force field, I would make this ill-aimed stab at conceptually explaining the difference:

The damaging aspect of the force field is slight "off" harmonically from the frequency (energy signature, Quantum-M Phase Shift, insert tekkie bable here) of the portion of the barrier capable of keeping out Mr. Ghost. Considering that a force field isn't guaranteed to block a phaser (they get a roll after all), it gives me a conceptual loophole to squeeze out some comic-book style jargon as to why the rest of the barrier's effects don't er... phase him (without the ghost touch extra).

Rivalsan
Hireling
Hireling

Incorp and force field

Postby Rivalsan » Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:20 am

If the Force field had the energy field extra and the incorp character failed the roll to slip thru, then they should take damage.

Otherwise.. Force blast is just energy blast as an extra on force field (Look! Its another issue fixed by 2e maybe...). Take the Ghost Touch extra on it if you want that to happen too.

Personally, I think incorp is a power inherantly cheesy, and most players who want it are interested in being more than slightly twinked. x.x
Hello, my name is Rivalsan, and I'm a MinMaxaholic. Twelve step programs don't work for us. We keep trying to find a way to do it in ten steps. Or less.. I bet I could squeeze it down to.. *sigh* (Crowd: Hi, Rivalsan)

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (1e)”