Weapon Power (Bow) and Ammo Concerns

The place to discuss using and abusing the first edition Mutants & Masterminds rules. Rules questions, rules interpretations, house rules, and more rules.
Argos
Collaborator
Collaborator

Weapon Power (Bow) and Ammo Concerns

Postby Argos » Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:49 am

1. Should it be a concern? Is the character assumed to have enough arrows at any given time?
2. If it should be a concern, how should the power be flawed to reflect a quiver
Argos Xanth
duh-NUH!

farik
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Location: I'm lost in some distant part of Nebraska, on a ship -- a LIVING ship

Postby farik » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:15 am

1. Should it be a concern? Is the character assumed to have enough arrows at any given time?
2. If it should be a concern, how should the power be flawed to reflect a quiver?

By default the quiver has an unlimited amount of ammo. If you want the amount of ammo to be a concern then you would use the "magazine X" flaw. When you take this flaw you decide the value of X and after X shots the character must reload.
One man's hobo booze is another man's fiiiine sippin' wine.

Oh, and by the way, I don't use drawbacks in my game, just complications.

ronalmb
Henchman
Henchman

Postby ronalmb » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:35 am

Correct me if I am wrong:

Given that the Weapon has a cost of 1pp/rank, flawing it with Ammo is pretty much a conceptual angle, as the flaw won't get you any savings without doing fractional pp.. unless of course you then give it the "might" extra or sumfin.

Rivalsan
Hireling
Hireling

Bow

Postby Rivalsan » Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:17 am

How often have you seen Green Arrow REALLY run out of arrows in mid combat?

Or just treat it like wossname, Ranger's, in the old Dungeons & Dragons cartoon. Shoots energy arrows from a solid bow object. That always kicked butt anyway.

Or you could allow a much larger number of arrows and instead of calling it a flaw, give the character a free power stunt. IIRC the -1 pp/rank level of Uses flaw gives either 8 or 16 shots.. I can't remember at work. :) Give him a quiver of 30 arrows and a free stunt. What archer wont want a stunt?

Alternatively, just make it clear to your archer character that his power's Special Effect has its advantages and its drawbacks (Easier to get a bow and arrows into some places than say, a gun or sword) but that when its especially dramatic, he could run out of ammo. (Device *IS* a flaw after all..) Depends on what your style as a GM is.

But, the only times I recall a bow character running out of arrows is if he was being harried and on the run..
Hello, my name is Rivalsan, and I'm a MinMaxaholic. Twelve step programs don't work for us. We keep trying to find a way to do it in ten steps. Or less.. I bet I could squeeze it down to.. *sigh* (Crowd: Hi, Rivalsan)

dunlaing
Hireling
Hireling

Re: Bow

Postby dunlaing » Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:53 pm

Rivalsan wrote:But, the only times I recall a bow character running out of arrows is if he was being harried and on the run..

"Just one last arrow,... gotta make this one count..." is a fairly standard dramatic moment (substituting bullet for arrow with gun-based characters)...although it's nto well-modelled by having an ammo or magazine limitation. It's more of a dramatic thing, so it should be some sort of Hero Point mechanic.

I'm thinking that for a Hero Point, you can add 2 ranks to your power and your attack roll can be no lower than 10, but you are out of ammo after that shot (basically, you get the benefit of 2 hero points for the price of one in exchange for running out of ammo)

tomorrow
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby tomorrow » Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:27 pm

Its well modelled in that super-hero bows/guns are "never" just Weapon... they invariably have extras and power stunts (trick arrows and bullets) and the reduction from the ammo flaw can balance them out.

Example:

Bowguy's Bow - Weapon-Ranged [Multi-Ammo (Snarex2, Obscurex2, Slowx2, Penetratingx2, Fatiguex2); Power Stunt: Dual Damage; Flaws: Uses (20); Source: Super-Science; Cost 1pp; Total 12pp]

The Bowguy carries and bow with a quiver case that holds 20 arrows, 5 blunt tips, 5 sharp tips, and 10 assorted trick arrows.

Note...

If your Bowguy is less then super-heroic... you might also consider adding in the "slow fire" flaw a bow... as an arrow must be drawn, set, aimed and fired rather than point and squeze with a gun. More limiting... but sort of realistic too and obliges you to either another extra, 5 more power stunts, or even some more features.

If your bow isn't like Speedy's and make a crumby close quarters weapon you could take the Long-Barreled flaw too, opening even more extra/stunt options.

Batgirl III
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Batgirl III » Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:03 pm

HKAT and BESM both covered this with the rules for dramatic ammo. Worth the read!

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (1e)”