Feat Ideas

The place to discuss using and abusing the first edition Mutants & Masterminds rules. Rules questions, rules interpretations, house rules, and more rules.
ronalmb
Henchman
Henchman

Feat Ideas

Postby ronalmb » Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:12 am

Some feats that I use or might use in my M&M Fantasy game.

This first one is pretty much an adaptation of an existing feat, indomitable will:

Unlimited Fortitude (General)
Your fortitude is considerable.
Prerequisites: Con 13+
Benefit: If you fail your saving throw to resist a power that directly affects your health, such as Fatigue or Disease, you get another Fortitude save 1 round later. You only get this one extra chance to overcome that power.

This one might be of use to those that fear the hit high-Defense characters take in 2e. I don't know if it's the case, but it's still an interesting feat:

Combat Mobility (Combat)
Your mobility on the battlefield makes you a hard foe to hit.
Prerequisites: Dex 13+, Move By Attack
Benefit: You gain a +2 bonus to your Defense for the duration of any round in which you use the Move By Attack feat. This bonus is a dodge bonus and is lost under the same circumstances as other dodge bonuses. This is a situational bonus, like Power Attack (meaning it can exceed PL stacking limits).

Something for team players:

Coordinated Attack (Combat, Ranked)
You work well in teams, striking at foes your allies target with deadly skill.
Benefit: At the start of combat, choose an ally. Against any foe that your ally attacks during a round, you gain a +1 bonus to your attack roll.
Special: This feat may be taken multiple times. Each time you take this feat increases the number of ally’s you may choose as part of your coordinated attack by 1. This is a situational bonus, like Power Attack, and can surpass PL stacking limits.

ronalmb
Henchman
Henchman

Postby ronalmb » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:07 pm

The foil to Foes of Freedom's Stealthy feat:

Sharp Eye (Combat, Skill)
Your eyes focus quickly on objects others have more difficulty distinguishing.
Prerequisites: 1 or more rank in Notice.
Benefit: Treat a target’s concealment as one step less when you attack them. You may not benefit from this feat if you are blinded (although it will reduce the penalties for total darkness).

This may have been inspired by a D&D feat, I don't know. I got rid of every single 3 and 3.5 D&D book i had once M&M came out. Anyways, it has a place in a fantasy game:

Swift Tracker (Skill)
You are able to cover ground at great speed to pursue your foe.
Prerequisites: 4 or more ranks of Notice, Track
Benefit: You may make tracking checks at your normal speed with no penalty.
Normal: Attempting to move at more than half speed imposes a -5 penalty to Notice checks for tracking.

For the Team Leaders of a group:

Tactician (Combat, Ranked)
You are skilled at tactics, and use them to help your team on the field of battle.
Prerequisites: Leadership
Benefit: You may increase the initiative of a number of allies equal toy our Charisma modifier to equal your own initiative roll. You may use this feat once per game session. You may use extra effort to use this feat again.
Special: You may take this feat multiple times. Each time you take this feat increases the number of times per session you may use it.

I don't know about this one, but it seems to follow the spirit of Power Attack, All Out Attack, etc.:

Reckless Attack (Combat)
You put yourself in danger, but can make more powerful attacks.
Prerequisites: base attack bonus +1 or higher.
Benefit: Before you make your attack roll for the round, you may choose to increase the damage of an attack by up to 5 by lowering your Toughness save by an equal amount.

For fantasy knights, although with the 2e preview of Interpose, I wonder if that works better.... :

Mounted Defense (Combat)
Your skill at riding allows you to decide whether you or your mount is targeted by attacks.
Prerequisites: 4 or more ranks in Ride
Benefit: When you or your mount is targeted by a melee attack, you decide which of you take the blow.
Standard: The attacker decides to attack rider or mount.

Converted from the 3.5 SRD ability of the same name, and maybe appearing in 2e?:

Improved Uncanny Stealth (Skill)
You can sprint at great speed and still remain hidden.
Prerequisites: Uncanny Stealth
Benefit: You suffer no penalty to Stealth checks when sprinting. Characters normally suffer a -10 on Stealth checks when sprinting.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (1e)”