Triggered Healing?

The place to discuss using and abusing the first edition Mutants & Masterminds rules. Rules questions, rules interpretations, house rules, and more rules.
dunlaing
Hireling
Hireling

Triggered Healing?

Postby dunlaing » Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:06 pm

Is it kosher to get Absorption (using the healing option) and buy Trigger for the healing part? I have a player who wants to have the trigger be "any time I take damage"...so that the healing goes off whenever he takes damage.

(note the not-so-obvious downside that healing is a strenuous action, so the trigger could theoretically kill him if he's disabled or dying)

Lechteron
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Lechteron » Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:14 pm

It's kosher if you allow it. I wouldn't though unless there was a really good concept and the player wouldn't be abusive which would be really hard. Actually it wouldn't take any effort to use. The triggered extra takes no effort to use. Triggered has to be watched carefully. Energy Blast (Extras: Triggered whenever attacked / when ever attack hits, Subtle. Flaws Triggered only. PS: Immunity Disease) = A slightly intelligent, highly active, and very dangerous immune system. That made for an interesting villain.

Grendal
Collaborator
Collaborator

Re: Triggered Healing?

Postby Grendal » Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:40 pm

[quote="dunlaing"]Is it kosher to get Absorption (using the healing option) and buy Trigger for the healing part? I have a player who wants to have the trigger be "any time I take damage"...so that the healing goes off whenever he takes damage.

(note the not-so-obvious downside that healing is a strenuous action, so the trigger could theoretically kill him if he's disabled or dying)[/quote]

So, what's his problem with Regeneration?

Iczer
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Iczer » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:21 am

Lechteron wrote:It's kosher if you allow it. I wouldn't though unless there was a really good concept and the player wouldn't be abusive which would be really hard. Actually it wouldn't take any effort to use. The triggered extra takes no effort to use. Triggered has to be watched carefully. Energy Blast (Extras: Triggered whenever attacked / when ever attack hits, Subtle. Flaws Triggered only. PS: Immunity Disease) = A slightly intelligent, highly active, and very dangerous immune system. That made for an interesting villain.

I like the energy blast. pity it's got a number of very big flaws. For a start, If I was given a character with this, I'd smile and make the resultant attack fire off in random directions. Oops. sorry allies. The other big flaw is the definition of attack. make it go off when friends tap you on the back, every time the character stumbles and lands on anything hard, when little kids use water ballons on the character, whenever he gets splashed by a passing car and a convenietnt puddle, every time a girl slaps his cheek. etc (though I can see it's merit as an instant 'bounce back' or reflection attack)

Batts
Good. Bad. I'm the one with the gun.

Iczer
Bystander
Bystander

Re: Triggered Healing?

Postby Iczer » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:29 am

Grendal wrote:
dunlaing wrote:Is it kosher to get Absorption (using the healing option) and buy Trigger for the healing part? I have a player who wants to have the trigger be "any time I take damage"...so that the healing goes off whenever he takes damage.

(note the not-so-obvious downside that healing is a strenuous action, so the trigger could theoretically kill him if he's disabled or dying)

So, what's his problem with Regeneration?

It's too slow. seriously, 10 in regeneration heals at 1/round. 10 in triggered healing heals 10 upon impact.

Dunlaing: With this in mind though, It's pretty expensive to do this and shouldn't really be allowed. Though it doesn't remove the effects of said attack. a stun is still a stun, same with Knockouts and disabled results. I would get around this by having villains with drains, entangles and other tricksy powers. Or have power negators, or at least specific power negators. (One of my games had a recurring villain whose slashing missiles inhibited healing (drain, powers only, regeneration/healing only area affect, subtle, only applies to wounds inflicted by X power) The whole group had healing 8.

Batts
Good. Bad. I'm the one with the gun.

Lechteron
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Lechteron » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:26 pm

That was the point and he was a villain in a world with mutants that all had enhanced physical abilities. So his immune system would just attack what ever and when it missed it just assumed that the target was destroyed but it could potentially destroy anything it could hit in one counter since once it hit it attacked again and again until it missed or destroyed the target. The PCs were a special police organization that was formed to deal with the "threat".

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (1e)”