Device flaw question from a Newbie!

The place to discuss using and abusing the first edition Mutants & Masterminds rules. Rules questions, rules interpretations, house rules, and more rules.
Strongbad_wi
Bystander
Bystander

Device flaw question from a Newbie!

Postby Strongbad_wi » Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:01 pm

Howdy,

Long time gamer here, first time poster...

I have been searching for a while for the right super hero RPG and I think I might have found it with M&M, but still working out the mechanics

sorry for the babble, onto my query...I have a question about the Device Flaw, it would seem to me that the device flaw is when dealing with something that can be and has the possiblity of being taken away from the hero... i.e., I have a player who has created a bio-armor type character (think Gyver sp?) The player in question is setting up his character that when it is unneeded or unused his armor exists in another dimension and comes when called and instantaniously is on his character (i.e., no changing time) - once agian think live action Power ranger anime-type action. I'm thinking that is an Identity Change Feat - he's arguing it's actually a device flaw and he should get his powers at a cheaper rate, because he doesn't have his powers unless his armor is on... before I go all "I'm running the game, so that's how it is" I'm hoping to get a more experienced opinion of this is...

Thanks,

Eric
What the crap????

The Trapster
Luminary
Luminary

Re: Device flaw question from a Newbie!

Postby The Trapster » Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:48 pm

Strongbad_wi wrote:... onto my query...I have a question about the Device Flaw, it would seem to me that the device flaw is when dealing with something that can be and has the possiblity of being taken away from the hero... i.e., I have a player who has created a bio-armor type character (think Gyver sp?) The player in question is setting up his character that when it is unneeded or unused his armor exists in another dimension and comes when called and instantaniously is on his character (i.e., no changing time) - once agian think live action Power ranger anime-type action. I'm thinking that is an Identity Change Feat - he's arguing it's actually a device flaw and he should get his powers at a cheaper rate, because he doesn't have his powers unless his armor is on... before I go all "I'm running the game, so that's how it is" I'm hoping to get a more experienced opinion of this is...
I'm with you. ID change...

:twisted: But if he wants the Device Flaw tell him that the ability to jam the Summon Armor signal is available to others. :twisted:
A man without religion is like a fish without a bicycle.

Rune
Zealot
Zealot

Re: Device flaw question from a Newbie!

Postby Rune » Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:10 am

The Trapster wrote:
Strongbad_wi wrote:... onto my query...I have a question about the Device Flaw, it would seem to me that the device flaw is when dealing with something that can be and has the possiblity of being taken away from the hero... i.e., I have a player who has created a bio-armor type character (think Gyver sp?) The player in question is setting up his character that when it is unneeded or unused his armor exists in another dimension and comes when called and instantaniously is on his character (i.e., no changing time) - once agian think live action Power ranger anime-type action. I'm thinking that is an Identity Change Feat - he's arguing it's actually a device flaw and he should get his powers at a cheaper rate, because he doesn't have his powers unless his armor is on... before I go all "I'm running the game, so that's how it is" I'm hoping to get a more experienced opinion of this is...
I'm with you. ID change...

:twisted: But if he wants the Device Flaw tell him that the ability to jam the Summon Armor signal is available to others. :twisted:

And further, the armor itself can be targetted and damaged in combat while he is wearing it. Hope he has some regeneration.

Even worse, a Dimensional traveler or manipulator can conceivably steal his armor from wherever it is when he isn't wearing it....
Rune

Zelda's Axiom
Whenever somebody tells you about "the five hundred ancient talismans" or "the nine legendary crystals" or whatever, you can be quite confident that Saving the World will require you to go out and find every last one of them.

Strongbad_wi
Bystander
Bystander

Thanks!

Postby Strongbad_wi » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:53 am

Thanks for the ideas!
What the crap????

Rivalsan
Hireling
Hireling

Noobie!

Postby Rivalsan » Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:01 pm

Get the bbq tools.. I got this great book 'How to serve Noob'. :)

We love new players. M&M is great and glorious.

And yes - Remind him that a villain could, with the device flaw, make him unable to summon his armor.. Or require that the whatzamadinkus that summons the armor be an object (I seem to recall some useless piece of flutz from my younger years when I watched MMPR) that can be taken away from him.

A device, in my view, really needs to be easily taken away - So if he's KO'ed, a villain could spend a non-combat minute taking the armor off and away, and then he'd be without it until he got it back. Plus all those other ideas people mentioned. How hard is the armor to repair?

Remember.. If he's got 10 ranks in armor, the Device flaw saves him 10 pts. Thats as much as a weakness. That means it should come up OFTEN. Like - Every adventure. Captain Blasterman can do the quiet little 'zip' and fire a blast to spotweld a girder thats bending. But Mr Armordude has to summon up his armor and be sort of ostentatious first, right? :)
Hello, my name is Rivalsan, and I'm a MinMaxaholic. Twelve step programs don't work for us. We keep trying to find a way to do it in ten steps. Or less.. I bet I could squeeze it down to.. *sigh* (Crowd: Hi, Rivalsan)

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (1e)”