Datalink

The place to discuss using and abusing the first edition Mutants & Masterminds rules. Rules questions, rules interpretations, house rules, and more rules.
Stule Brown
Henchman
Henchman

Datalink

Postby Stule Brown » Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:36 am

Hey!

Tonight I ran a game. One of my players tried to use Datalink to connect with the computer of the Bad Guys Power Armor to try to stop it. The Armor had a computer (most Battle Armor would I should think.). But I had no idea how to handle the situation. So I had him use Extra Effort, and use Mind Control as if it were under Datalink (It says with Datalink use it as Telepathy with intelligent computers). He caused the armor to over heat and shut down.

Do you guys think I handled this right?

If not, what way would you handle it?

I could find no rules for this.

Daemon
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Daemon » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:47 am

I would have required a computer use check to get past the security systems of the on-board computer, with a DC of the bad guys PL + his computer use check. One would think there would at least be a password or something to access the armors systems.

farik
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Location: I'm lost in some distant part of Nebraska, on a ship -- a LIVING ship

Postby farik » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:54 am

You didn't handle it badly but in the future you might want to make it more involved so the player doesn't over use the tactic.

I would definately require opposed computer use checks between the NPC pilot and PC in the future. Also remember datalink will only affect computerized systems so for instance when dealing with a car they may be able to get the car to start if it's new enough but no matter how good their datalink is they won't be able to get the vehicle to shift out of park (they might be able to rev the engine if the cruise control is coputerized though)
One man's hobo booze is another man's fiiiine sippin' wine.

Oh, and by the way, I don't use drawbacks in my game, just complications.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (1e)”