What Power would it be?

The place to discuss using and abusing the first edition Mutants & Masterminds rules. Rules questions, rules interpretations, house rules, and more rules.
James the Hobo
Bystander
Bystander

What Power would it be?

Postby James the Hobo » Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:34 am

I need help. I'm trying to make a new character and one of his skills/powers is like Scorpion from Mortal Combat.

He can shoot a tentacle to a target and pull it toward him. I was thinking Natural Weapon but then this weapon isn't really natural...

Any ideas?

Stule Brown
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Stule Brown » Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:44 am

Hmmm.

I would try Telekinesis with a device flaw or Snare.

It's kinda late here, so I will think about it and post in the morning.

Bombaatu
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Bombaatu » Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:16 am

There's the Extra Reach feat from Crooks - buy it a few times for the length of the tentacle. Then add Super-Strength, only with the tentacle, only for grappling/lifting.

Grendel
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Grendel » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:31 am

I agree with Bombaatu. If you don't have Crooks just buy some stretching and flaw it down so he can only use it with that one thing. I don't remember, does the attack hurt people as well? Or does it just pull them forward?
That's not a good start, but keep going.
-Ron Burgandy

mofos21
Bystander
Bystander

Postby mofos21 » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:36 am

I'm doing something similar for a new character of mine.

I constructed it by taking the Extra Limb feat for the tentacle itself and then get buying Elasticity (as I want it to be able to reach over a distance), but flawing out the Escape Artist bonus and flawing out the movement portion of the power. That brings it down to 2pp/rank. You GM may even allow another flaw if the Elasticity only affects the Extra Limb, bringing it down to 1pp/rank.

As for pulling a target towards you, I would go with what Bombaatu suggested and apply Super-Strength to the tentacle. The snare power wouldn't allow you to move a target.

Kid Carom
Collaborator
Collaborator

Postby Kid Carom » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:49 am

Since the victims just stand there helplessly for a moment after they are grabbed, I'd suggest :

Telekinesis
- extra: Stun
- flaw: duration x2 (Instant)
- flaw: only to make targets come to you)
Cost: 1 PP/level

and make the line a special effect.

Essentially, this allows you to pull someone towards you and attack them as if they are stunned on your next action. If you prefer, you can swap Stun out for extra: Paralyze or extra: victim becomes flat-footed (discuss with your GM). The duration flaw on the power will make sure it only lasts for one attack.
Putting the "er..." in Superhero!

James the Hobo
Bystander
Bystander

Postby James the Hobo » Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:58 pm

Thanks guys for your suggestions.
I'll take it to my GM and talk it over.
I'm not sure if I want to go with the Stun as well but it could be interesting...and helpful.

Thanks again!!

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (1e)”